nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Quadro 2500 and Twinview. Second screen is black but the logs say everything is ok. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75100)

jessej 08-15-06 09:22 AM

Quadro 2500 and Twinview. Second screen is black but the logs say everything is ok.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi.

Im having some severe problems getting my twinview setup working.
I belive I've done everything correctly, and when launching X everything seems fine.
X detects the twinview settings, and both monitors, and launches "the wider settings", which stretches the workspace over both monitors, instead of the single-monitor settings. Problem is that nothing apperes on the external monitor. Just the "No Connection/Check Signal Cable" message. (yes, cycled sources and still nothing).

I cant figure out what's wrong. X detects the screen as it should. Running with these settings gives me a half desktop on my laptop and a blank screen to the right. starting X without having the dvi cable plugged gives me fullscreen on the laptop, but that aint twinview :/
Grep'ing after WW or EE in the xorg log only gives me hits bout some fontpath, and the synaptics pad. Nothing about gfx/twinview. Im running out of ideas... please give me hope :)

Im running a dell M90 laptop and a Samsung Syncmaster 193T as external monitor via dvi.
Please help, or at least point me in the right direction.

full verbose bugreport is included.

Thanks,
Jesse

netllama 08-15-06 12:54 PM

Re: Quadro 2500 and Twinview. Second screen is black but the logs say everything is ok.

Does this problem persist if you remove the ConnectedMonitor & NoPowerConnectorCheck options from your xorg.conf ?

Thanks,
Lonni

jessej 08-16-06 08:13 AM

Re: Quadro 2500 and Twinview. Second screen is black but the logs say everything is o

1 Attachment(s)
Sadly yeah =(

I've attached a new bug report with the new settings.
Cant figure out why I wont get signal, when X obviously can see the monitor...
...and thinks it runs over the two desktops...
Or can it be that it sets the resolution on the laptop, and defines the other screens resolution as "outside" the primary display (but still assigned to the primary, not the secondary)?

Anyways. X uses the whole desktop. I can move the mouse "outside the screen" and fetch windows which has been placed there, and so on...

Thanks for helping!
Jens.

netllama 08-16-06 09:09 AM

Re: Quadro 2500 and Twinview. Second screen is black but the logs say everything is ok.

Can you try requesting a "1280x1024_75" mode for the external display (instead of "1280x1024") ?

Also, please verify that you're using the latest BIOS.

Thanks,
Lonni

jessej 08-16-06 11:31 AM

Re: Quadro 2500 and Twinview. Second screen is black but the logs say everything is o

Option "Metamodes" "1920x1200,1280x1024_75; 1920x1200,NULL"
Like this?

Will try that tomorrow when im at work again.

Latest Bios? U mean for the lappy itself? or does the gfx-card have its own bios?

jessej 08-16-06 12:00 PM

Lappy Bios upgraded.
Went from A00 to A02. Changelog between the releases indicates no work related to gfx, or even anything close to that. Mostly added support for new cpu's and some fix about not displaying error messages in bios. But who says they write all fixes in the changelog...

Anyhow, worth a shot, will see tomorrow if the hertz specification and bios upgrade does any difference. But what if it doesnt...? Where's the next place to look?

netllama 08-16-06 07:58 PM

Yes, you need to change both the MetaModes and the Modes in xorg.conf.

And yes, I meant the notebook BIOS. A BIOS CHANGELOG rarely lists all bug fixes (there are typically hundreds).

Thanks,
Lonni

jessej 08-17-06 06:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Okii, done. Didnt help =(

One thing tho, which I guess is pretty Vital.
Tried changing from DVI to Dsub now. Have tried this before but without success.
Anyhow. It works with dsub now, but still the same with DVI.
Guess we've narrowed it somewhat now...

I've started X with logverbose level 6 with both dvi and dsub, reports are attached.

Thanks.
Jens.

netllama 08-17-06 10:40 AM

Please make two more changes to xorg.conf:
1) Request 1280x1024_60 instead of 1280x1024_75
2) Add the ExactModeTimingsDVI option

Thanks,
Lonni

jessej 08-21-06 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Didnt help :(

One odd thing that happend is that the laptops screen became the "right" one instead of the left one which it usually is. Tho, the other screen is still blank. I have no clue what's happening, and why it works so well with dsub and behaving this strange with dvi.

Grabbed another bug report.

netllama 08-21-06 03:48 PM

Please try removing the 1920x1200 mode from xorg.conf and replace it with 1280x1024.

Thanks,
Lonni

jessej 08-21-06 03:53 PM

okii, will try it tomorrow