nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How do I restore original resoltion after a fullscreen dumb app changed it? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75190)

uOpt 08-16-06 10:32 PM

How do I restore original resolution after a fullscreen dumb app changed it?

I started a wine program which tried to get fullscreen at a specific resolution. It crashed after setting the resolution of the display from 1920x1200 to 1024x768.

In the past I know that I could go back to 1920x1200 with Control-Alt-"-".

However, that does not work anymore. Control-Alt-"+" and Control-Alt-"-" do work and switch fine but "-" only goes up to the resolution that the game set, not to what I have configured in the x11 server.

What I need is a commandline program to say "apply modeline 1920x1200dell3". What I have is a little commandline tool for XF86VidModeSwitchMode(3), but that only does the same thing as Control-Alt-"-/+", via the "zoom" argument.

I suppose I can just use XF86VidModeSwitchToMode(3) to do what I want, but it only seems to take a full modeline with all numbers which is not sportish. Is there a similar call that can use the symbolic name from xorg.conf?

Any magic switch I overlooked?

AaronP 08-16-06 11:17 PM

Re: How do I restore original resoltion after a fullscreen dumb app changed it?

Try xvidtune -next and xvidtune -prev.

uOpt 08-16-06 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronP
Try xvidtune -next and xvidtune -prev.

Same as Control-Alt-"-". It only allows me to go back to where the crashed app set the resolution. After that, silently ignored.

As I mentioned, I know this used to work last time I played with wine (I should know better...), I dunno what broke it.

%%

I have since then composed a video mode and call XF86VidModeSwitchToMode(3) directly, but I get
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 135 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)

[I am sure I got the right parameters, even though the manpage should have mentioned that the clock is in KHz).

uOpt 08-16-06 11:36 PM

Duh.

The GNOME "gnome-display-properties" did it.

Now I want to know what exactly that one is doing that I didn't :mad:

I have a suspicion that it was GNOME who upward locked the display in first place. Because the desktop was not panning, GNOME has readjusted itself to the new resolution.

AaronP 08-17-06 03:31 AM

Try using xrandr.