nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Slow performance, FX 5200 on AGP, 87xx drivers <25fps in games. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75220)

dvogel 08-17-06 11:21 AM

Slow performance, FX 5200 on AGP, 87xx drivers <25fps in games.

1 Attachment(s)
My system: AMD 2100+, 512 MB RAM, VIA KM400/A chipset.
I've tried this with both 8762 and 8756 drivers without any differences.

I began trying to get the nvidia drivers to work on my 2.6.17 kernel. After installing the drivers, I couldn't get more than about 10fps in Savage @ 1280x1024. I am using Debian/sid with Xorg 7.0. I installed the drivers under /usr/lib/xorg (not /usr/X11R6). glxinfo shows direct rendering enabled and matching client and server versions from NVidia. I was using AGPGART and dmesg showed:
Code:

agpgart: Detected VIA KM400/KM400A chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe0000000
agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode

However, /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status showed that AGP was disabled. I tried recompiling my 2.6.17 kernel twice -- once with agpgart and via-agp enabled and once without either of those. I booted each of these kernels with each of the values "1" through "4" for NvAGP in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. No combination of kernel configuration and NvAGP settings enabled AGP.

I downloaded the source for the 2.6.12.6 kernel (this was the last kernel I remember using with AGP, with my Ti4200, about a year ago). The 2.6.12.6 kernel enabled AGP with either AGPGART or without it (according to /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status). However, my frame rate is still excessively low. While running glxgears, my CPU utilization is constantly over 90% (yes, I know glxgears isn't a benchmark, but I couldn't get Savage to run in a window, with top running over it, and still see the FPS because it the FPS was pushed off the bottom of the screen). The only high CPU utilization problems I could find in these forums or elsewhere on the Web was related to direct rendering being disabled, but direct rendering is enabled (glxinfo gives the same results as described above while under the 2.6.12.6 kernel).

The agpgart messages in dmesg don't appear until I load X. This isn't surprising to me, but I'm mentioning it in case it is significant. If I reduce the resolution to 1024x768, the FPS in Savage roughly doubles but still stays under 25fps. The CPU load is the same at both resolutions. My Samsumg SyncMaster LCD doesn't support any other resolutions (at least not with my X server). The nvidia-settings tool shows that I am not tied to vsync. I've tried to edit os-registry.c to manually force the card into AGP 4x mode by setting ReqAGPRate = 7. I've also tried to set EnableVia4x = 1. Both of these changes were fruitless.

I'm fairly sure that the low frame-rates are due to the high CPU usage. I'm completely lost as to figure out what is causing the high CPU usage though. Is there a way to be sure whether a certain process is using direct rendering or if it the glx module or nvidia driver is using the AGP accelleration?

I've attached my nvidia-bug-report.log file.

netllama 08-17-06 01:18 PM

Re: Slow performance, FX 5200 on AGP, 87xx drivers <25fps in games.

glxgears will always show high CPU usage, however that doesn't mean that anything is wrong.

However, I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong in your bug report. Its quite possible that you're hitting a hardware limitation for the AGP controller on your motherboard. Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS? Also, does your BIOS have a means of setting the AGP aperture?

Thanks,
Lonni

Linuxhippy 08-17-06 02:06 PM

did it work better with older drivers?

dvogel 08-17-06 02:38 PM

I have not been able to upgrade my BIOS because I don't have a floppy drive or a CD drive (and, believe it or not, this is the first time I've had a need for either). I've been thinking about trying to boot the BIOS upgrade disk image from a spare partition on my hard drive. It currently does not have any AGP settings in the menus (it is the most dumbed-down BIOS I've ever used). The motherboard is a Gige-Byte GA-7VM400M. It says it supports 8x AGP. I know that doesn't ensure a quality implementation, but surely any 8x implementation can pump more than 25fps in Savage @ 1024x768. It's not Far Cry we're talking about :]

I've used older drivers on this card in the past. I don't know if I really had it working then or not. I didn't realize that I was having GPU issues because I always assumed all of the "lag" in-game was caused by my horrible Internet connection and Savage's stupid idea of sending only 15 network frames per second (which makes 10fps from the GPU not that much worse than the max 15fps everyone else in-game see). Also, those older drivers were used on a previously installation of Debian. A few months ago my hard drive started to die so I re-installed to a new hard drive and then copied over /etc and setup all of the packages using dpkg --get-selections and dpkg --set-selections.

I do know that older drivers worked with this motherboard in the past with a Ti4200 (maybe a Ti4400), giving me 100+fps in Savage -- but that was before Savage was using SEP, etc. I've tried using other games to test, but it seems like all of the games with an FPS counter (e.g. Q3demo) won't install or run because my kernel or X is too new -- I really wish that NVidia would include a benchmarking tool with their drivers instead of the current approach which is to say "glx is not a benchmark" without offering an alternative. Btw, my glxgears FPS is between 800fps and 1300fps depending on different kernel versions and AGP drivers (i.e. agpgart vs NvAGP).

dvogel 08-17-06 03:18 PM

I feel a little silly now. The BIOS version info says the F3 BIOS has an AGP control function:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ame=GA-7VM400M

I will find a way to upgrade the BIOS tonight and post my results.

dvogel 08-17-06 09:57 PM

I feel even more like a fool now. I do not have a GA-7VM400M. I have a 7VM400M-RZ. I upgraded to the newest BIOS, which does not mention a 4x/8x AGP control feature, but my Savage frame rate increased to 25fps @ 1280x1024. I still think this is very low compared to my Ti4400 performance in the same game. My 25fps now is with the lowest quality settings while I used to play Savage with the medium quality settings.

I figured out a way to test CPU load while running Savage. I open a terminal and run this command, then start Savage:
Code:

while [ 1 ]; do ps ax -o pcpu,cmd | sort -n | tail -n 1 >> /tmp/rep; sleep 1; done
The /tmp/rep file shows 90%+ CPU load from Savage the entire time it runs. Here is a snippet of the file:
Code:

91.0 ./silverback.bin set mod game
91.1 ./silverback.bin set mod game
91.3 ./silverback.bin set mod game
91.4 ./silverback.bin set mod game
91.6 ./silverback.bin set mod game
91.7 ./silverback.bin set mod game
91.8 ./silverback.bin set mod game

dvogel 08-17-06 10:10 PM

I just found this Google Groups posting that claims that a GT6600 requires a 450W PS. First of all, is this true? Second, what are the power requirements for a FX5200? I have a 350W PS.

Fisch.666 08-18-06 01:58 AM

Hi!

Do you have prelink installed?

http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums...pic.php?t=6138

arokh 08-18-06 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvogel
I feel even more like a fool now. I do not have a GA-7VM400M. I have a 7VM400M-RZ. I upgraded to the newest BIOS, which does not mention a 4x/8x AGP control feature, but my Savage frame rate increased to 25fps @ 1280x1024. I still think this is very low compared to my Ti4400 performance in the same game. My 25fps now is with the lowest quality settings while I used to play Savage with the medium quality settings.
[/code]

Dude, the Ti4400 is way more powerful than the FX5200. Your current card is the worst on the planet.

dvogel 08-18-06 08:57 AM

After looking at some benchmarks at Anandtech, I see you're right. I really don't keep up with new product reviews because I don't plays games too much. When I bought my FX 5200 I was looking for something that could run fanless and could do basic OpenGL for simple 3D modelling. The FX 5200 was one of the only fanless NVIDIA offerings I could find in the store. I know the FX 5200 was nothing special but I figured it was as good or better than my Ti4200 (which was physically broken, thus not an option) because it was a later product.

dvogel 08-18-06 05:51 PM

Ouch, the FX 5200 really is crap. These frame rates are about identical to mine.