nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   reading from dvd with file larger than 1gb? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76024)

Imbroglio 08-31-06 02:43 PM

reading from dvd with file larger than 1gb?

okay, i messed up. i had a bunch of song files zipped into a 1.4gb file. when i used nero to burn the file it had given me the warning that the file might not be able to be read, and i ignored it, knowing that the other system is a xp pro system, and yet, now i cannot read any of the information off of the disc and i am ~300 miles away from the originals, any help, or am i gonna have to get someone else to mail them to me on a disc in smaller segments?

evilghost 08-31-06 02:51 PM

Re: reading from dvd with file larger than 1gb?

Firmware upgrade on the reader.

Imbroglio 08-31-06 04:08 PM

firmware now up to date on both the pioneer dvr-110d and the sony ddu1612 and the disc is still not able to be read, any other suggestions?

rewt 08-31-06 06:08 PM

Try and recover the file with Isobuster. That tool works miracles!

Imbroglio 08-31-06 09:43 PM

just tried isobuster and neither drive recognizes the disk as usuable media. the lights flash on the front of the drives and then go out as if they can't figure out wtf it is so they just shut off. kind of annoying. thanks for the tip though

evilghost 09-01-06 08:04 AM

Try a different drive, you violated the DVD standards so it's really a firmware issue now.

Imbroglio 09-01-06 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilghost
Try a different drive, you violated the DVD standards so it's really a firmware issue now.

sonofabeesting, i hate violating standards, let alone being violated. i got a couple of other drives to check out, so i might as well have them zip it into smaller compressed files with winrar and then send the disc to me. i'll let you know how i make out

wnd 09-06-06 05:59 AM

Quote:

you violated the DVD standards

Which standard is that? ISO 9660? Rock Ridge? I'm not kidding, just wondering.

Is my DVD non-standard if I use ReiserFS on it?-)

evilghost 09-06-06 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnd
Which standard is that? ISO 9660? Rock Ridge? I'm not kidding, just wondering.

Is my DVD non-standard if I use ReiserFS on it?-)

ISO format DVD file size limit is 2GB. UDF file size limit is 4GB. Movie DVD file size limit (VOB file) is 1GB.

Perhaps the DVD was not burned as UDF or ISO9660?

Infinity666 09-07-06 03:25 AM

Why teh **** do people archive stuff when they arent packing it??? That 1.4gb uncompressed was what?? 2gb's maybe

Next time just make folders

Infinity666 09-07-06 03:26 AM

Quote:

ISO format DVD file size limit is 2GB. UDF file size limit is 4GB. Movie DVD file size limit (VOB file) is 1GB.

Perhaps the DVD was not burned as UDF or ISO9660?

Vob isnt limited to 1gb its just the standard and is more compatible in 1gb chunks

Imbroglio 09-07-06 01:39 PM

well, i packaged them up as they were songs for a college radio station and they needed to be submitted as a single file, so that they could then be sorted through and decided upon as a group to save time for the radio admin, rather than flipping through song by song, i wasn't thinking and figured i would compress them and then only have a single file to take off the disc, realizing now that was the wrong way to go:(