nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Compiled mplayer really using XvMCNVIDIA? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76275)

RoyBoy 09-05-06 03:10 PM

Compiled mplayer really using XvMCNVIDIA?

Is your compiled mplayer really using XvMCNVIDIA? Does "ldd /usr/bin/mplayer" (assuming mplayer is in /usr/bin) yield a line similar to:

libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 (0x00484000)

Using
./configure --enable-xvmc --with-xvmclib=XvMCNVIDIA

ran but did not include XvMCNVIDIA (even though it said it did).

I am running GNU/Linux Fedora Core 5; nvidia.ko module compiled from NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run, MPlayer-1.0pre8.tar.bz2, 3.2GHz Intel processor, one gigabyte of system memory and a GeForce 6800 GT video card

my /etc/X11/XvMCConfig contains one line: libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1

I added these three links:
ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1
ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so
ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1

I edited "configure" and removed two include lines in the XvMC test compile program. Here is a diff of the original and the modified:

# diff configure configure.orig
3854a3855,3856
> #include <X11/extensions/Xvlib.h>
> #include <X11/extensions/XvMClib.h>

These two files are part of the libXvMC-devel-1.0.1-3 RPM. The libXvMC-1.0.1-3 RPM is also installed.

After running the above configure command, check the XvMC section of configure.log and look for lines similar to:

ldd /tmp/mplayer-conf-15085-11830.o
linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00265000)
libXvMC.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1 (0x009ff000)
libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 (0x00425000)

If you do not see this, you or I have made a mistake.
Assuming all is well run "make"... and then "ldd ./mplayer" yielded (partial):

libXvMC.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1 (0x00341000)
libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 (0x00209000)

So mplayer says it is using the library libXvMC from the RPM as well as the NVIDIA library. Did I do myself any good?

I have a station listing XXX1 in my ~/.mplayer/channels.conf and channels.conf.atsc file
and am using an HD-3000 card from pchdtv.com

I ran "./mplayer dvb://XXX1"

and "top" command in a separate window gave me CPU/Memory usage for mplayer of 46/2.6 percent
and for X of 12/2.4 percent

I ran "./mplayer -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc dvb://XXX1"

and "top" command in a separate window gave me CPU/Memory usage for mplayer of 31-35/1.2 percent
and for X of 0-1/1.8 percent

So CPU usage dropped about ten to fifteen percent for mplayer and eleven percent for "X". The GPU on the card must be in use. Since mplayer is the default driver program for mythtv, others might see an increase in performance if mplayer actually uses XvMCNVIDIA.

Am I missing something? Did I do the above changes for no good reason? The mplayer usage numbers seem to say the new mplayer is an improvement. I have only used this new mplayer for 24 hours but so far no problems. I would be interested in others experience.

I looked into solving this due to horizontal streaking in my HDTV output (See my post titled: Horizontal streaking with S-Video). Watching a file with mplayer still gives me horizontal streaking when the original content was from a 1080i broadcast but is fine within mythtv. Does someone know the proper switches for mplayer to emulate the deinterlacing in mythtv using the "Bob" algorythm? Or should the file simply be coverted to another format? Anyway, hope this helps someone.

The mplayer people have stated not to report problems if you enable any extra features (such as --enable-xvmc) and run into problems so do not bother them.

Spyke 09-05-06 05:42 PM

Re: Compiled mplayer really using XvMCNVIDIA?

For some reason mplayer wants to statically link the lib.a, which is a pain in the butt comes time when you update the nvidia drivers, you also have to recompile mplayer.

Gumboot 09-06-06 05:01 AM

Re: Compiled mplayer really using XvMCNVIDIA?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyBoy
Using
./configure --enable-xvmc --with-xvmclib=XvMCNVIDIA

I use --enable-xvmc on its own, and I let it find the XvMC abstraction library, and I configure that to use XvMCNVIDIA (/etc/X11/XvMCConfig contains "libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1"). That means it won't show up in ldd... but if you use a commandline that forces xvmc and ffmpeg12mc then it just fails until you have things set up correctly, so it's safe to assume it's working.

If you really want to check, then try 'lsof | grep mplayer' while mplayer is running.