nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   trying to replace Norton Internet Security 05 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76607)

nekrosoft13 09-12-06 07:00 PM

trying to replace Norton Internet Security 05

Well i'm trying to find somethng to replace NIS 2005, but i want to keep the same functionality.

good AV
software firewall capable of blocking specific computers on the network, control which applications can access the internet
antispam
add-blocking

any suggestions?

nekrosoft13 09-13-06 10:03 AM

Re: trying to replace Norton Internet Security 05

i think i got a good combo going on my test PC now.

Outpost Firewall pro 4.0 RC3 and Antivir

computer starts faster, less proceses running, cleaner interface, shuts off faster. Outpost firewall seems better overall.

once 4.0 goes final i will buy it, right now go 30 day demo

AthlonXP1800 09-16-06 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
i think i got a good combo going on my test PC now.

Outpost Firewall pro 4.0 RC3 and Antivir

computer starts faster, less proceses running, cleaner interface, shuts off faster. Outpost firewall seems better overall.

once 4.0 goes final i will buy it, right now go 30 day demo

That not very good combined, both used more memory than Norton Internet Security 2006. Now I used Norton Internet Security 2007 trialware for 2 days, I found it really amazing used just 7.5Mb of memory at idle, it loaded into memory instant than all previous Norton Internet Security versions which took longer time to loaded after you log in Windows and also browse Internet instant too. You can delete viruses when it detected and run full scan on the fly, full scan used only 14Mb of memory and 21.5Mb in total. In fact it used one third of Antivir's 68Mb total memory usage when ran full scan.

I highly recommend you to try Norton Internet Security 2007 trialware and I think you will buy it instead of combined Antivir and Outpost Firewall Pro. ;) I will buy it when it available to buy in UK as soon as the trialware expired to replace Norton Internet Security 2006. :D

nekrosoft13 09-16-06 02:28 PM

i can't use NIS 07 trial

after installing it, and rebooting, it said my trial is expired

with outpost+antivir my memory usage dropped to about 290 from 380-410 and processes dropped from 44-46 to 33-35

AthlonXP1800 09-17-06 01:53 AM

Maybe you mistaked downloaded the beta NIS 2007 that are already expired, I got it from here and click on Try Now. I checked my task manager for processes and memory usage for NIS 2007 compared to previous NIS 2006.

NIS 2007 at idle have 26 processes and 156Mb memory usage compared to 40-45 processes and 290Mb memory usage with NIS 2006, at load with full scan NIS 2007 have 27 processes and 190-240Mb memory usage compared to 41-46 processes and 370-410Mb memory usage with NIS 2006.

I am very impressive at NIS 2007 used lots less processes and memory, loaded into memory instant, instant phishing protection which are very much faster than Internet Explorer 7 phishing protection took 5 to 7 seconds to scan a website on my laptop. I noticed Ad-ware and pop-up blockers as well as anti-spam filter are absented in NIS 2007 while previous NIS 2005 and 2006 had the features build in it, I think it the reason Symantec listened to beta testers and customers feedback complainted about the bloatware and reources hogs, they decided to removed 3 pointless features and write from scratched. Symantec finally did the right thing to removed 3 useless features because both Internet Explorer 6 and 7 already has the best pop-up blockers and also you can create spam filter in Outlook Express 6 that do better job than any AV programs bundled anti-spam filters. It a shame they removed Ad-ware blockers, they are very good but there are alternative free ad-ware you can find on Internet.