nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Best Bit Torrent Client (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76989)

CaptNKILL 09-21-06 11:26 PM

Best Bit Torrent Client

Lets have a vote, what would you say is the best bit torrent client? I used Azureus for a while and it was good, but a friend of mine had better speeds with BitLord (plus it doesnt use Java) so I switched to that and things have been better... but I'm wondering if there are any better clients. I always seem to get torrents that dont show any seeds or peers, even though the torrent search sites come up with a dozen or so seeds and a few leachers.

Also, if anyone has any tips for getting better speeds or more reliably connecting to peers, post here. I know there are a lot of little quirks and things to configure with torrents. :)

BTW, here is a massive list of all of the bit torrent clients and their features...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rrent_software

crainger 09-21-06 11:37 PM

Re: Best Bit Torrent Client

I recently switched to uTorrent from Azureus. It doesn't seem any faster, but it's resource usage is next to none.

CaptNKILL 09-21-06 11:44 PM

I havent tried that one, I'll see how it is. :)

I just downloaded the newest version of Azureus and it seems to be picking up connections for a few of the torrents that dont seem to work in BitLord.

I wonder why the different programs pick up different connections. Its really anoying.

I wish one program just picked them all up.

Jeez. :p

rewt 09-21-06 11:58 PM

I like utorrent.

superklye 09-22-06 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger
I recently switched to uTorrent from Azureus. It doesn't seem any faster, but it's resource usage is next to none.

Yup, that's why I love uTorrent. Azureus just took up SO much memory!

Infinity666 09-22-06 12:10 AM

uTorrent

netviper13 09-22-06 12:11 AM

uTorrent is absolutely the best BT client.

CaptNKILL 09-22-06 12:13 AM

Well, it sounds like thats deffinitely the most popular... I'll download it right away. :D

AthlonXP1800 09-22-06 12:14 AM

Utorrent is the best BitTorrent client ever, it picked all peers that previous clients I used ABC, Azureus, BitComet, BitLord, BitTornado, burst! and Shareaza cant picked all peers. Rewt gave me the tip few weeks ago how to boost the download speed on utorrent by lower the upload speed to 10KB and it worked fantastic, last time I always had download speed up to 50KB and very few time hit 75KB, after lower upload speed reduced to 10KB, now I got 150 to 250KB download speed near all the time, that the best speed I ever seen on utorrent. :D

rewt 09-22-06 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Rewt gave me the tip few weeks ago how to boost the download speed on utorrent by lower the upload speed to 10KB and it worked fantastic, last time I always had download speed up to 50KB and very few time hit 75KB, after lower upload speed reduced to 10KB, now I got 150 to 250KB download speed near all the time, that the best speed I ever seen on utorrent. :D

I'm glad it helped AthlonXP1800 :)

Keep in mind however, that 10KB will not be the magic number for everyone. 10KB is an extremely low upload limit for a T1 connection for example. In fact, usually the higher upload you allow, the higher download speeds you get. BUT, if you allow over 80% of your upload capacity, downloads will begin to suffer. The trick is finding the sweet spot for your connection.

Also, be aware that the Bittorrent community works best when everyone allows 80% of their upload capacity. If everyone only allowed 25%, then it would probably go a lot slower for everyone.

CaptNKILL 09-22-06 12:25 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to "import" partial downloads from a program like BitLord into uTorrent? I have a few things that stopped in the high 90% range a while ago and never finished. If theres any chance that uTorrent could pick them up and finish them, thatd be awesome... but they went so slow before I really dont want to redownload from scratch.

crainger 09-22-06 12:32 AM

I would finish them off with BitLord or whatever first just to be on the safe side. Use uTorrent for all new downloads.