nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Overclocking My FX-55 For the first Time (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77423)

AliP 09-29-06 06:09 PM

Overclocking My FX-55 For the first Time

Ok, i just updated my bios and fixed some thermal problems, now when not in a load My fx-55 runs at 25-30c :cool:, I'm using Innovatek Water cooling.

My goal Is 3GHZ that seems to be what standard users are getting to.

However since this is my first time i Want to take babysteps, please guide me trough the process.

Here's my hardware:

550W PSU : NQ-4775-500BU (google for further specs)
Abit-AV8 MB
FX-55* CPU - Innovatek watercooling 28c
Nvidia Gforce 6800GT OC - Innovatek Watercooling 45c
G-Skill Mem : http://gskill.de/product_sp01682x.html
4 Hard drives 3IDE 1Sata Total space: 1110GB
1 Disc Drive
CM Stacker Case - med Airflow

Is my PSU big enough?

How do i Overclock, i Have very little Bios experience and i have about no idea how my cpu works, Please link me to a guide or teach me, ive seen stuff like multiplyer and fsb and ive got no idea what they mean. Please tell me or link me to a guide about how i go trough with this, how safe is this i just want to go to a max of 3Ghz i dont want to go to some speeds that'll fry my cpu.

Thanks.

AliP 09-29-06 06:18 PM

Re: Overclocking My FX-55 For the first Time

Here are some ifno this is what i get in some Cpu overveiw tool:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5...apimageqc1.png

As u can probably see i dont understand a thing other that that my cpu is 2.6 ghz and was supposed to be really good when i bought it.

Please help me.

Heinz68 09-29-06 07:55 PM

Motherboard, Memory, & CPU -
Overclocking Guide

Newbie and Advance Version
All in detail explained

Always updated, last on August 5, 2006
Can be downloaded

Use Google
Thousands of other overclocking guides written
also good to check the motherboard support forum

AliP 09-29-06 09:25 PM

Went over that, understanded about 25% of it, anyway i tried my first setup, i managed to overclock a little, still it's not my goal.

here's how i think overclocking works

here's my Uguru Bios screen

Cpu Op Speed
-External Clock 204/68/34Mhz (Is this correct settings) This should always be the Same
-Multiplier Factor x13.5 This is what i Change when Overclocking
-AGP Ratio 6:2:1 (Is this the Correct settings) Always be the Same

Volt : Auto Detect - This i change only when i go too high with the multiplier factor to a bigger voltage (cpu)

This is the speed i got out of this setup: 2.76

Am i right?

What should the Ideal settings be for 3Ghz?

Edit: Nope Nada, blue screen of death after a little usage.

now ive got:

222/68/34
x12
6:2:1

Volt: Auto

Freq 2.67

Edit 2: Ok i got **** confused now, should i overclock trough multiplier or trough memory freq?

the 204 number is the mem freq right?

So if i switch my mem to 222 and dont change anything else will i get 2886 freq stable?

and if i change to 222 and put multi to 13.5 will i get 3Ghz stable?

Will i need to change my Volt settings?

What tools do i need to test?

Found this nice overclocking my mem chart here:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/images/...zx/results.gif

Anyway im running standard now and aint gonna change until i get this confrimed.

Thanks.

BashfulTux 09-29-06 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliP
Went over that, understanded about 25% of it, anyway i tried my first setup, i managed to overclock a little, still it's not my goal.

here's how i think overclocking works

here's my Uguru Bios screen

Cpu Op Speed
-External Clock 204/68/34Mhz (Is this correct settings) This should always be the Same

No this is where you get the overclock from using the user defined then typing in the new frequency.
Quote:

-Multiplier Factor x13.5 This is what i Change when Overclocking
Probably better off not using the .5 multipliers at all from what I have read they don't work. This is used in conjunction with the setting above to get your frequency the CPU will run at.

Quote:

-AGP Ratio 6:2:1 (Is this the Correct settings) Always be the Same.
This should be Fixed 66 assuming that your board like mine has a working AGP lock there is quite a debate about whether this works on all boards from what I have read on the Abit forum you should probably go there and read the overclocking guide they have it is quite extensive.
Quote:

Volt : Auto Detect - This i change only when i go too high with the multiplier factor to a bigger voltage (cpu)
Yes you can raise the voltage to get a higher overclock but I don't like doing that, more voltage means more heat produced by the chip.

Quote:

This is the speed i got out of this setup: 2.76

Am i right?
I get 2754 (13.5*204) but essentially correct.
Quote:

What should the Ideal settings be for 3Ghz?
Ideally the CPU speed set to 231 with a 13x for the multiplier will get you 3003mhz. With this since you have not mentioned it you should go into your Dram setting change from Auto to Manual then set the speed to 333 this will underclock the ram so when you go into the Processor settings and change it up in speed your ram will remain below the DDR400 actual speed your good to up to 240 with this setting then the ram is running at proper speed.
Quote:

Edit 2: Ok i got **** confused now, should i overclock trough multiplier or trough memory freq?
CPU speed working with the CPU multiplier.
Quote:

the 204 number is the mem freq right?
This is the CPU speed also known as the FSB the front side bus. Try this after downloading the Prime95 and SuperPI programs so you can stress test the CPU after overclocking.

1. Go into Dram setting and lower it to DDR333.
2. Up the CPU (FSB) speed to say 210 for a starter.
3. Multiplier 13x
4. Set Fixed 66 on the AGP.

Save then reboot go into windows run the Prime95 stress test for at least 30 minutes keeping an eye on the temps then run the SuperPI on the 32mb setting for another 30 minutes. If everything passes go back into the BIOS raise the CPU (FSB) speed to 220 or if wanting to get on with it 231 run the tests again if it looks like it is going to keep running without errors at 231 let it go for an hour or two at least and run the SuperPI 32mb for an hour or two if it passes these test then you have your 3003 speed most likely keep it at these setting for awhile running your normal programs to be sure to check for any instability.

Edit: Almost forgot this when you are at the screen where you select the Dram setting you should see a LDT selection option on the same screen go into this and set it to 4x from auto so you don't end up overclocking the hyper-transport bus.

DataMatrix 09-30-06 09:08 AM

Also, it's better to change your FSB when overclocking rather than your multiplier, since increasing FSB means more throughput on the northbridge too.

AliP 09-30-06 10:04 AM

Ok, i started at 210, everthing is running smoothly, but how do i stress test?

I tried torture test, that ran like 4 secs and gave me some fatal error:

[Sat Sep 30 13:50:59 2006]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Wtf does that mean?

Anyway i cant get higer than that, do i need to increase my voltage?

I read that this cpu overclocks bad, here's some dice test (i just want to go up to 3ghz not some super cooled 3.5 like those guys are doing)

http://www.hardcoreware.net/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26709

I used this setting:

1. Go into Dram setting and lower it to DDR333.
2. Up the CPU (FSB) speed to say 210 for a starter.
3. Multiplier 13x
4. Set Fixed 66 on the AGP.

and found a LTD setting and changed it from 5x to 4x.

DataMatrix 09-30-06 10:27 AM

See if you can find the HT Link (Hyper-Transport Link) and change it to 4x

AliP 09-30-06 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataMatrix
See if you can find the HT Link (Hyper-Transport Link) and change it to 4x

here are my setting's, i havent changed em since the failed test

This is what i tought and think is the setting's you are telling me to change:
(marked in green) i alredy changed it to 4x before the test

here are some pics

Menu:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...ture001mt2.jpg

Dram:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6...ture002dk2.jpg

LTD:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8...ture003gi0.jpg

It seems i cant find a Ht-Link setting, is it in another menu maby?

And what test mode should i run? Torture test: Small FTT, In-place large FTT or Blend?

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help.

Edit: i tryed cranking the Volage up to 1.55, didnt work :(

Am i maby Testing Wrong? should i use somthing else than Torture test?

Tried the Online test, same results...

BashfulTux 09-30-06 12:31 PM

Quote:

here are my setting's, i havent changed em since the failed test

This is what i tought and think is the setting's you are telling me to change:
(marked in green) i alredy changed it to 4x before the test

here are some pics

Menu:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...ture001mt2.jpg

Dram:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6...ture002dk2.jpg

LTD:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8...ture003gi0.jpg

It seems i cant find a Ht-Link setting, is it in another menu maby?

And what test mode should i run? Torture test: Small FTT, In-place large FTT or Blend?

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help.

The LDT is the hyper-transport bus so you have found and set it properly, as to which torture test to run it does not really matter just make sure to let it run at least an hour lots of people like to let it run overnight but I am of the opinion if it is going to fail on you it will in the first hour or two. Looking at your result here though means that it failed at 210 so I don't think there is much headroom left it that chip.

Code:

[Sat Sep 30 13:50:59 2006]
 FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
 Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Wtf does that mean?

Which can be a common problem trying to get more out of the higher end chips. Your usually better off with the lower end then trying for more there my old 3000+ for instance would do 2340 (9*260) up from the 1800 stock or even my X2 3800 I have in it now will do 2400 (10*240) up from 2000. This is where you get the most bang for the buck and the best overclock because most times these chips are actually able to be rated at a higher speed but get marked/set to lower a lower speed just to have those parts available to sell.

AliP 09-30-06 12:41 PM

But pepole are gettin up to 3Ghz, i just need someone that has overclocked to that level before and need to hear his settings and rig specs.

Anyway so your tellin me i cant overclock it? :(

BashfulTux 09-30-06 01:07 PM

Quote:

But pepole are gettin up to 3Ghz, i just need someone that has overclocked to that level before and need to hear his settings and rig specs.

Anyway so your tellin me i cant overclock it? :(

No I am not telling you that it can't be overclocked to that speed but with it failing at 210 (this is only a 5% overclock with the ram underclocked and the voltage raised) that is not a good sign. Your probably better off going the Abit forum I linked too registering making a signature with all the parts in your machine as it will be the first thing they ask about. They are a pretty good bunch of people there with a lot of them overclocking so they should be able to give you some additional info on doing it the right way to try and get the best results. Your going to want to use one of the guides now lowering your multiplier, LDT/hyper-transport and ram then raising the FSB until it fails to find the max for that with this chip then find the max the ram will do then put together the best settings, it is going to take some time as it looks like it not going to be a matter of a really simple overclock like you can get with the lower end chips.

Edit: I would add as well that not all chips are equal just because some other people have gotten that level with theirs is no guarantee that yours will do the same, there are many things that can limit your overclock. Like bad stepping (batch number of manufacture) of the chip, the motherboard used (although most I have read on the AV8 can get past the 260 FSB mine does), ram used ....