nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can't output to Sony TV via DVI (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77526)

Supercargo 10-01-06 08:58 PM

Can't output to Sony TV via DVI

I've spend a long time troubleshooting this issue and I've reached a point where my knowledge will take me no further. Please excuse the long post, but I've tried a lot of things and I hope that might help find a solution (or, the specific problem)

What I'm trying to do:
I'm trying to drive my Sony KDS-50A2000 (a rear projection LCoS unit) via its HDMI input. I'm using the GeForce 6150 which is onboard my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard. I am use one of those DVI to HDMI cables. I'm trying to drive the Sony at 1080P (60Hz), which is the native panel resolution and is a supported format the set accepts over HDMI. I have been focussing my effort on the 8774 drivers from AtRPMs on a Fedora kernel: 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5. The problem, simply put, is that the display doesn't come up.

What Does Work
Obviously there are a number of reasons this could fail. I'm somewhat supprised that this still fails considering what I can get working.
  1. I can drive other DFPs with X and the nvidia drivers just fine over DVI
  2. I can drive the TV (all be it only at 1080i) using the same DVI -> HDMI cable from my Powerbook. The mac sees the connected panel as a "Sony TV" and sees a number (although not all, hence the 1080i) of the resolutions they are mutually capable of.

At this point I'd like to mentions that X doesn't seem to get EDID information from the Sony, so I've disabled that. If I don't disable EDID, X just discards my modelines because it can't validate them.

I have been able to trick X into giving me what I want, but its not pretty:
If I connect another DVI device (a viewsonic 20" LCD) and bring X up in some mode that both the viewsonic and the TV can display, then switch the connector over to the TV, the TV will come up. This even works with EDID, because the Viewsonic reports EDID info to X correctly. I can even go a step further by disabling EDID, asking X to bring up the viewsonic at 1080p (which the panel doesn't support, but X doesn't realize this anymore). The viewsonic goes all crazy as it gets 1080p jammed down its throat. Switch the cables over and viola, 1080p on the Sony comes up.

What I haven't done
(And something I'd like to avoid) is to install Windows on the same hardware I currently have fedora installed on and see if windows handles the TV as gracefully as the mac did. If I _did_ do this then I would have proven (to myself anyway) that the fault falls squarely on the nvidia linux driver, not the hardware and not the display.

Conclusion
As far as I can tell, with the TV plugged into the nvidia card, the nvidia driver behaves as if nothing is plugged into the DVI port. I guess there is some handshake that it expects that the TV does not respond to. What are my courses of action? Does anything I'm saying make sense? This post is already running long, so I will put off posting a full xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log until someone asks, but here are the most interesting sections of the xorg.conf I am using to trick X with:
Code:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier    "SXRD-HDMI"
    VendorName    "Sony"
    ModelName      "KDS-50A2000"

# Tried including broad ranges here to avoid DDC to no effect.  Ultimately leaving these commented out still allows me to trick X in conjunction with the viewsonic
#    HorizSync      30.0 - 90.0 
#    VertRefresh    30.0 - 60.0
    ModeLine      "ATSC-1080-60p" 148.4 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option        "UseEDID" "FALSE"
    Option        "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxSizeCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck"

EndSection

Section "Device"
    # Edit the BusID with the location of your graphics card
    Identifier    "nvidia1"
    Driver        "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:0:5:0"
    Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "SXRD-Digital"
    Device        "nvidia1"
    Monitor        "SXRD-HDMI"
    DefaultDepth    16
    Option        "ConnectedMonitor" "dfp"
    SubSection    "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth      16
        Modes      "ATSC-1080-60p"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I'd be very appreciative of any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Adam

netllama 10-01-06 09:03 PM

Re: Can't output to Sony TV via DVI

If this problem persists with the 1.0-9625 driver, please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 6

and then generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni

Supercargo 10-02-06 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The problem persists with the 9625 drivers.

verbose 6 bug report is attatched.

Thanks,
Adam

netllama 10-02-06 08:53 PM

You've set UseEDID to false, which prevents the X log from capturing the information that I'm looking for. Its also possible that is what is causing the problem you are reporting. If the problem persists without that option, please provide a new bug report.

I'd also suggest removing the ConnectedMonitor option.

Thanks,
Lonni

Supercargo 10-03-06 08:42 AM

Lonni,

I will generate some new reports when I get home this evening.

Perhaps you could clarify the two options you've mentioned.

If I enable EDID, the driver reports that it could not get any EDID information and uses that as a basis to invalidate my modelines.

If I don't use the "ConnectedMonitor" it does all this stuff with the analog VGA connector, not the DVI connector. The ConnectedMonitor option is the only way I can get it to deal exclusively with the DVI (i.e. not using twinview or xinerama).

Do these options have side effects I'm not aware of?

Thanks,
Adam

netllama 10-03-06 11:08 AM

Without seeing a bug report that captures what is (or is not) in the EDID for your display, I can't comment on whether not using the EDID is the best course of action.

The driver will always default to using a CRT when multiple displays are detected. The UseDisplayDevice option is intended for changing this behavior. The ConnectedMonitor option is not intended for changing this behavior. Please see the driver README for more details.

Thanks,
Lonni

Supercargo 10-03-06 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Lonni,
Here is the new log with EDID enabled and UseDisplayDevice device substituted for ConnectedMonitor ... as you can see, it doesn't awknowledge that the DFP is connected which is probably why I started using ConnectedMonitor in the first place (I've tried so many things at this point that its hard to keep track of how some things crept into the xorg.conf)

Adam

netllama 10-03-06 06:31 PM

You're right, the DFP isn't being detected at all. I'm afraid that I don't have this motherboard here, and I can't reproduce the problem.

-Lonni

Supercargo 10-03-06 06:39 PM

Is there any way to force the driver to ignore all these things and send the signal I want it to? For instance, hypothetically, how could I bring X up on a DVI connector that had the monitor disconnected completely?

Adam

netllama 10-03-06 06:43 PM

ConnectedMonitor would tell the driver that you are using a DFP, however getting the mode you want is the tricky part if there's no EDID. Does the documentation for the DFP provide any mode timings?

-Lonni

Supercargo 10-03-06 07:27 PM

The standard ATSC 1080-60p mode has been reported by others to work. I also have an underscan mode that someone produced using powerstrip on windows.

# This modeline should work
ModeLine "ATSC-1080-60p" 148.5 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125

As I mentioned in my first post I can trick the thing into coming up by bringing up X with a different DFP connected (and EDID disabled) and then switching the DVI plug to the Sony; it comes up and is happy with my ATSC-1080-60p mode...the trick is getting it to bring that up with the Sony plugged into the DVI port.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

lenster 10-03-06 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Sony XBR1 not the A2000 but they are pretty similar. I had the same problems until I made a few tweaks. Here's my xorg.conf if you want to take a gander. I think you may have too many modevalidation items.