nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   nVidia GF7600GS temperature sensor via iC? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77700)

shutdown 10-05-06 08:53 AM

nVidia GF7600GS temperature sensor via iC?

Hi,

currently I am wondering if there is any way to monitor the temperature of my nVidia GeForce 7600GS via the iC interface of the kernel, like CPU temperature. Mostly all modern mainboards feature a temperature sensor chip connected to the iC (or nowdays SM) bus of the computer...so I asked myself if the hardware monitoring of the GeForce cards works via iC as well an if there is a driver module for those chips.

Or does the temperature monitoring of the nVidia cards work different than the temperature monitoring of mainboards?

I am not really satisfied with the nvidia-settings tool to read the temperature, because I'd like to integrate that temperature in my conky display and conky supports the kernel iC interface (/sys/bus/i2c/...) quite well...

So if there is any possibility to do that please let me know!

Shutdown

Thunderbird 10-08-06 07:12 AM

Re: nVidia GF7600GS temperature sensor via iC?

All NV4x/G7x GPUs contain a sensor build into the GPU. The sensor and the temperature reading mechanism are inside the GPU. It isn't connected to the i2c-bus. On highend 7800GTX/7900GTX cards and perhaps on some other boards you can find an external sensor chip aswell. This chip is then connected to the i2c-bus.

The nvidia drivers export the temperature using the NV-CONTROL extensions and further there's NVClock which can directly read the temperature from the card. (use nvclock from cvs; the code is a little buggy, I need to add a correct offset for the 7600gs but for the rest it works well)

In the near future nvclock will feature a dbus daemon for hw monitoring purposes, so that external apps can easily read out the temperature, fanspeeds and other parameters.

shutdown 10-08-06 04:26 PM

The nvidia-settings tool provided by the nVidia driver reads the temperatures of my 7600GS as well, but I hoped that there is a way to read the temperature of the card without any additional tools...
Sadly I don't know too much about coding, but maybe someone may write a kernel module doing the job of the hardware monitoring part of nvclock or the nvidia-settings tool - this would make things a lot easier I think...

Shutdown

a7v 10-11-06 02:06 PM

There's no need for a kernel module to do that.
You could use
Code:

nvclock -i | grep temp
to get a reading.
IIRC there are some sensor-applets that can grab the temperature through nvclock as well. I think gkrellm supports that.

shutdown 10-11-06 04:37 PM

Actually I was looking for a method that does not depend on any programs but works with a kernel-space driver, because the output of any program may change with time and using additional programs wastes lots of resources compared to using a interface provided by a kernel driver...
So there should be a kernel module reading the temperature of the graphics card like nvidia-settings or nvclock do and provide this information via a kernel interface.