nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Spam threads going too far? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78651)

Q 10-21-06 01:50 PM

Spam threads going too far?

I love a good bit of spamming as much as the next guy...please...don't get me wrong.

Recently though, I've looked at the post counts in the last few spam threads and just said "WOW!". There are people with 2-3k posts in these threads. I've been here for over two years and barely have 2k posts.

And what's wrong with that? Look at someone like UDawg. He's got nearly 20k posts here. I know he's done his fair share of spamming, but I don't think he ever put 2000 into one thread. And because of that, I look at him and say "Here is someone who is a major contributor at this forum and is someone I can take seriously".

That's why it kinda bothers me when I see someone join and have 2000 posts a week later. They haven't contributed anything of any importance to the forum but have a post count higher than people who have made at least some contribution.

I've been here for a while, so I know who is who. I even like most of the new spammers! But for someone who is new to the site it can be confusing to know who is a legit contributor and who is just some spammer.

It's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and some of it is even postcount jealousy on my behalf! But for the most part, most people put a lot of thought into there posts and it just kinda irks me to see people with 2k posts in a single thread and not a single post contributed anything to the forum.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just really felt that I needed to get that off my chest. How do you guys feel about this?

jAkUp 10-21-06 02:15 PM

Re: Spam threads going too far?

Well, even a newcomer will be able to quickly identify who is contributors and who is spammer, maybe not right away, but definetely within a few days time.

Also, your join date shows up right next to your user name, and unlike postcount, cannot be "spammed" :D

Q 10-21-06 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAkUp
Well, even a newcomer will be able to quickly identify who is contributors and who is spammer, maybe not right away, but definetely within a few days time.

Also, your join date shows up right next to your user name, and unlike postcount, cannot be "spammed" :D

Very, very true. I thought about that when I was posting and I just figured, eh...I'll let someone else bring it up! :D

In all seriously, though, there are a few here and there that registered a few years ago and then BAM they have 2k posts overnight.

And then again...sometimes it is harder to tell apart a spammer from a contributor. There are some people in the Linux Forum who have a decent post count that I've never even heard of before! So if they started posting more in the Open Forum or other areas, I would be like WTF who's this guy.

Again, its not really all that big of a deal. Just one of those little things.

Capt. Picard 10-21-06 02:21 PM

Quote:

Yes but still, you could have joined five years ago and only have a post count of 50 and then build it up to 3000 in three weeks and then enjoy having an authoritative status. Though I wouldn't go so far as to bitch about it and sy that it's not fair (actually this is what I'm doing now) but it does leave a sour taste in the mouth (for those who take this forum seriously).

jAkUp 10-21-06 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Picard
Yes but still, you could have joined five years ago and only have a post count of 50 and then build it up to 3000 in three weeks and then enjoy having an authoritative status. Though I wouldn't go so far as to bitch about it and sy that it's not fair (actually this is what I'm doing now) but it does leave a sour taste in the mouth (for those who take this forum seriously).

I suppose that is true, but I will go back to say, respect is earned not by the quantity, but by quality :) It is easy to determine one over the other.

|MaguS| 10-21-06 03:50 PM

Quote:

Im still pretty new yet have more posts (almost no spam) then many longer time members.

Personally, Im sick of the spam on the forums, but Im also one whos an advocate defender of people using the dam search function aswell...

SH64 10-21-06 04:45 PM

Since you mentioned it i'm too thinking the spam has gone too far in this forum thanks to the spam threads.
it would've been nice if the spam forum was like a chatroom where people "talk" but that wasnt happening.
i'd like if we get back to normal , but its up to the admin & mods afterall.

|MaguS| 10-21-06 04:48 PM

What I think should be made is a new area of the forum that allows users to post but not affect their post count. I know acouple forums I visit have their "Trash" sections set to not affect post counts.

SH64 10-21-06 05:14 PM

Well guys .. check your post count NOW! ;)

crainger 10-21-06 05:41 PM

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I feel about 30 pounds lighter.

I think this is a good idea. Especially with the new For Sale rules.

lightman 10-21-06 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64
Well guys .. check your post count NOW! ;)

Hehe. I think you just caused an heart attack at least for one person (whose nick is composed of two words beginning with "D" ;)).

I had my fair share of spam in the last spam thread, but I have to say it was definitely going way too far... :D

That said, I don't think the post count is so important. Except maybe from a "recognizable nick" point of view. But who cares ? :)

SH64 10-21-06 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightman
Hehe. I think you just caused an heart attack at least for one person (whose nick is composed of two words beginning with "D" ;)).

Yeah i guess he'll be pissed of so much when he sees this .. god help us lol!!