nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Toshiba TE2100 problem with Beta driver (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79251)

pnunn 10-30-06 11:43 PM

Toshiba TE2100 problem with Beta driver

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

I've tried to install the Beta driver with both Mandriva 2007 and SuSE 10.1 and have the same problem on my laptop.

It works great in 3D with an external monitor, but I can't get the laptop display to do anything but stay black.

If I try and set up the second monitor using NVIDIA Settings (which does recognise that there is another monitor on the system, but shows it as disabled) I get thrown out to the login screen with the remote monitor only working.

This happens regardless of the choice I make (TwinView or Seperate X), and as soon as I select the value (don't get the chance to save to a config file or anything like that.).

Any clues to follow here?

I'd really love to get this working on both monitors. Its great on the external one, but useless to me without working on the laptop one naturally.

The card is a GeForce 420 GO

Nvidia Settings reports:

LCD screen: Nvidia default flat panel (DFP-0)
CRT screen: Hyundai (CRT-0)

I've attached the bug-report.

Thanks

Peter

netllama 10-31-06 11:03 AM

Re: Toshiba TE2100 problem with Beta driver

According to your bug report, you've only configured X to use a single display, which is defaulting to the CRT. Are you trying to use both the CRT & DFP simultaneously? If not, then set UseDisplayDevice to DFP.

Thanks,
Lonni

pnunn 10-31-06 05:04 PM

Thanks for this Lonni,

can you give me a clue where to find that setting? Is it in the xorg.conf file?

I'd really like to have both monitors working, but as I said in the message, as soon as I try and enable the LCD monitor in the Nvidia settings program, it kills the current X session and throws me back to the login screen with no changes written anywhere it seems.

I'll have a hunt around for the setting and see what happens.

Thanks.

Peter.

netllama 10-31-06 05:16 PM

You need to add the option to xorg.conf. See the driver README for more details on its usage.

Thanks,
Lonni

pnunn 10-31-06 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tankyou again Lonni, sadly no Joy.

I read the documentation and added the option to force the display.

When I re-started X it dropped me to a text session.

I did startx and errors were thrown (not sure how to capture them to display), but have attached the Xorg logs (.old file remaned as the .log file).

I did the bug-report again (attached)

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Peter.

netllama 10-31-06 06:37 PM

Looks like X crashed:

Backtrace:
0: /etc/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x88) [0x80c7b78]
1: [0xbfffe420]
2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so [0xb71d2985]
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

If you disconnect the CRT, and do not use the UseDisplayDevice option, does that have any impact?

pnunn 10-31-06 10:41 PM

If I do that, I just get a blank screen with a little bit of disk activity every so often.

Peter.

pnunn 11-01-06 10:36 PM

Any more thoughts anyone please?

P.

pnunn 11-06-06 09:45 AM

Seems we have lost interest in trying to get these problems with the primary monitors fixed.

Looking at the forum's its pretty obvious this is a gereric problem with some laptops.

How about a hand to get it going guys. This is making my ATI one look pretty good at the moment and that's a bit sad for Nvidia.

If there is no more help to be had here, is there another way of getting tis bug report into Nvidia themselfs to get it worked on?

Thanks.

Peter.