nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   stability problem + glxgears aborts and freeze (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79387)

f_floyd 11-02-06 09:50 AM

stability problem + glxgears aborts and freeze

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

The latest nvidia-drivers cause stability problem to my newly installed 2.6.17-r8 Gentoo Linux amd64 kernel.
These are random freezes without any key responding, the bug can be easily reproduced by running glxgears : it aborts, and after some two or three runs, it freezes. The same problem occurs on Debian Etch/Sid, and Ubuntu.

I use a amd64 X2 athlon CPU, and a GeForce 7500 LE (the computer is HP-Compaq SR1917FR).

I have tried various boot options, including acpi=off, idle=poll, and modified xorg.conf file without success.

Any ideas ?

TPG 11-02-06 10:41 AM

Re: stability problem + glxgears aborts and freeze

You are suffering from Xid errors. make sure you have latest bios for you motherboard and graphics card, also check temperatures for both components.

f_floyd 11-02-06 10:54 AM

Thanks for the answer.

Sorry, but does it mean : Xid is relevant to the X server ?
I don't understand what the bios has to do with that, please could you tell me more (usually the Linux Kernel does his job without refering to the bios I think, and it should be true for the X server too, isn't it ?)

netllama 11-02-06 11:13 AM

The SBIOS can play a significant role in the behavior of the system, including the problems you are reporting here.

Verifying that you're using the latest BIOS is important whenever there are stability problems.

Additionally, please verify whether this problem persists with the 1.0-9626 driver.

Thanks,
Lonni

f_floyd 11-02-06 11:42 AM

Ok, I will check this. I'm afraid I have to reinstall Windows to update the bios, but this should not be a problem (because the bios update delivered by hp works only from Windows). But before, I'll try the nvidia beta drivers. I suppose I have to uninstall the actual one.

Thank you.

f_floyd 11-02-06 03:55 PM

I've installed the beta drivers 1.0-9626, and verify that all was properly installed (symlinks, etc). Installation was ok, but the problem persists i.e. glxgears cannot run without aborting and then freezes. And random freezes are still there.

More precisely, I've observed that glxgears, for both nvidia and nvidia beta drivers, is more stable (i.e. runs a more long time) in full screen than in a little window. I don't know why.

I'm not sure the problem comes from the bios as I've already had a stable 3D acceleration and all that with a previous Linux + nvidia drivers installation (the legacy and glx ones + Debian if I remember well).

So, the problem is still open ...

f_floyd 11-04-06 08:40 AM

I have noticed the situation is far more stable when the glx module is disabled in the xorg.conf. But that's not a solution.

BTW, I have check that the problem does not come at all from the bios (as the open source drivers are stable).

Don't you think the problem simply comes from a bad support with the 64 bits graphical libraries/modules ? (the beta drivers only remove the 'NVRM:Xid' stuff, but I don't know what this really means).

f_floyd 11-04-06 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here the bug report with the beta drivers.

f_floyd 11-04-06 12:20 PM

I've just installed Ubuntu 6.10 for amd64 (2.6.17 kernel, Edgy) and the nvidia drivers 1.0.8776, to compare with my previous installation.

The result is the same. This time, no more 'NVRM: Xid' messages in the /var/log/messages, no error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but still the freeze problem with glx.

Any suggestions ?

f_floyd 11-05-06 08:29 AM

Well, I can see I'm not alone with this problem on this forum ...
I checked the problem is not coming from shared IRQ's, so the only thing I see remains an incompatibility between nvidia-drivers and possibly some 64 bits openGL libraries.

What about that ?

For the time beeing, let's working in console :)