nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79715)

SLippe 11-07-06 04:38 PM

HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
OK, so for several months now I could not for the life of me figure out what the hell was wrong with my HP Director. I would click on the icon and nothing would happen, but if I alt+ctrl+del and looked at processes it would show it running. I just chalked it up to a Windows update or an nvidia driver issue or maybe even the fact that I'm using the Vista Theme pack thingy. I searched Google and could not find any answers! No big deal really since I could still scan by using the scan button the device itself.

Then I get an email from my mother today asking why her HP Director won't come up. She then stated she Googled the problem and found that it isn't compatible with IE7. WTF? I proceeded to uninstall IE7 and after a reboot (reverts back IE6 automatically) I clicked the HP Director icon and what the hel do you know...it comes right up. Sonofa.....! Thanks, mom, for saving the day. :thumbsup:

So, any HP PSC owners out there, if you can't get your HP Director to show up after clicking the icon, make sure you don't have IE7 installed, at least for now.

daffydee 11-12-06 02:50 PM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Hi, there is a workaround for this problem, I had googled for it, also some whizzer has already made available how to make a javascript file to sort problem as MS and HP still dragging their heels sorting out a fix! If you google you will find the link but I will try to find it again for you and post it here asap...
D

daffydee 11-12-06 03:03 PM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
.....copy.....

Click (or double-click) on the Director Icon like you normally do to run it... the program is starting, but hiding.

After a second or two, hit <ALT><Space> on the keyboard. That will "pop-up" a dialog box... click "Minimize" (may have to click it twice). You will then see the Director icon appear in the taskbar. Click the taskbar Director button and the program will then come up and work normally.

OR

put the following text in a .txt file with Notepad and save as a .js file, give it any name, put file somewhere on your pc and change the target for your HP Director icon so that it goes to the .js file. HP Director should now open normally although larger box than usual!

var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var dirfile="C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\Hpqdirec.exe";
var oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);
WScript.Sleep(3000);
WshShell.SendKeys("%( )"); //equivalent of Alt+spacebar
WshShell.SendKeys("nn"); //equivalent of click minimize twice
oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);

D

SLippe 11-13-06 05:04 AM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Thanks, daffydee, I'll report back after I've done one of those!

UPDATE: OK, I installed IE7, again, and then did the Alt+Space and it worked! I did have to click Minimize twice, but it worked! And your right, the box it brings it up in is larger than normal. Thanks, daffydee, you rock! :thumbsup:

UPDATE: OK, I made the .js file and get this;
http://www.slippe.com/images/misc/hp...x_js_error.jpg

Nevermind, I know what it is. I couldn't copy from your post, for some reason, so I had to do View Source of Highlighted and copy from that. Well, it copied the <br> tags with it. I just realized that. I'll take them and see if it runs real quick. Yup, taking out those tags fixed the problem! Sweet deal! :D

daffydee 11-13-06 01:47 PM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Glad to be of help and thanks from me too to the very helpful person out there who provided the javascript solution, wherever you are!
D

daffydee 11-13-06 08:12 PM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Just a follow up query to your last post, excuse my ignorance but how do you do a "View Source of Highlighted" text only??
ta
dee

grey_1 11-13-06 09:29 PM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daffydee
Just a follow up query to your last post, excuse my ignorance but how do you do a "View Source of Highlighted" text only??
ta
dee

In FF anyway, just highlite, then right-click the text. FF gives you an option to view selected source. ie is probably very similar.

daffydee 11-14-06 04:27 AM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
In FF anyway, just highlite, then right-click the text. FF gives you an option to view selected source. ie is probably very similar.

Aha! IE7 which I use on my main computer does not appear to have this option at all. But I have just checked my laptop where I recently started to use FF2 and was able to "View selected source". Surprising that MS didn't copy FF and include this function in their new browser as well....
Ta,
Dee

SLippe 11-14-06 05:09 AM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Yeah, that was for FF2, sorry. That's all I use.

Verndig 12-11-06 01:00 AM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Hello - I use my HP PSC2110 for an essential scan job weekly.

when I tried it tonight, the HP Director started up, but wouldn't display.
after trying it several times, I thought maybe the director was corrupted, and attempted a re-install from the HP disc - no luck there, they don't seem to allow it.
so then I thought I better google it, and whaddaya know, the very first entry brought me to this page, which gave me the answer!

AMAZING!!! so I registered here, just so I could give a <big>THANK-YOU</big> to all you guys for posting the answer here, AND the neat little script that solves the problem.

and another DART for MS, eh!!!

good fortune to y'all,

Verndig

Cora 02-05-07 09:08 PM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daffydee
.....copy.....

Click (or double-click) on the Director Icon like you normally do to run it... the program is starting, but hiding.

After a second or two, hit <ALT><Space> on the keyboard. That will "pop-up" a dialog box... click "Minimize" (may have to click it twice). You will then see the Director icon appear in the taskbar. Click the taskbar Director button and the program will then come up and work normally.

OR

put the following text in a .txt file with Notepad and save as a .js file, give it any name, put file somewhere on your pc and change the target for your HP Director icon so that it goes to the .js file. HP Director should now open normally although larger box than usual!

var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var dirfile="C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\Hpqdirec.exe";
var oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);
WScript.Sleep(3000);
WshShell.SendKeys("%( )"); //equivalent of Alt+spacebar
WshShell.SendKeys("nn"); //equivalent of click minimize twice
oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);

D

I have to let you know that YOU ROCK.. on several levels. I was having the same problem (with IE 7) and did several annoying things to try and solve to no avail. I googled, found this forum, read your sage words, and Yahoo!!! it worked. Thanks.. Cora :D

!APB! 02-11-07 01:27 PM

Re: HP Photo and Imaging Director Hates IE7
 
(lee63) I have just registered to say thanks very much guys - brilliant javascipt and functionality recovered with no pain. Superb and far quicker to workaround than HP has been.:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.