nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Problem installing any graphics driver (8776 or 9629) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80275)

Tweetie 11-13-06 11:23 AM

Problem installing any graphics driver (8776 or 9629)

I have a clean install of Mandriva Linux 2007 Free, 64-bit version as a test to see if I can dump Win. I downloaded the Nvidia driver for the x86_64 processor, but when I try the installation of the driver, I keep on getting text like:

welcometotheinstallationofthisdriver,doyouwatntoco ntinuetheinstallationofhtisdriver

In other words, all the text is a complete mess, no spaces in sentences, and more often then not, the text overwrites other text making the installation completely impossible to follow, so have to control+z (IIRC) out to quit the install.

I have checked that my graphics card is supported by the driver, and it is, I have also checked that I downloaded the correct driver, which I think I did (for AMD x86_64), that is what Linux identifies itself anyway.

As a newbie to Linux, I am pretty sure that I tried the install right, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) In my user area start Konsole.
2) enter SU mode then type "init 3".
3) cd to the directory of the run file
4) attempt the "sh" install of the run file, where the garbage output
shows and have to cancel the install.

Attempted to install driver #8776 and or latest #9629 pgk2.run's for GeForce cards with same results.

I thought about corruption of the files, but whether I download the "run" file in Linux or Windows, the same results show.

zander 11-13-06 12:35 PM

Re: Problem installing any graphics driver (8776 or 9629)

This sounds like a bug in the ncurses package shipped with your distribution (SuSE had a similar problem at some point); you should still be able to install the driver using the -s command line option.

Tweetie 11-13-06 06:23 PM

I tried your suggestion, then got some errors about needing the XOrg SDK / Development package, so found and installed that via Mandriva package manager. Tried installing the driver again (with the "-s" option) then got errors about a PLF version of the driver already installed, and it then complained with all sorts of errors, it did not install.

I then went back to the package manager and uninstalled the PLF verison of the graphics driver, then tried installing the 8776 driver (with the "-s" option). It did not complain. I then did the same for the 9629 version, and again it did not complain.

So I managed to get the Nvidia logo screen up on reboot, and after installing some packages, the 3D desktop extensions.

This has created new problems.
1) I had 4 desktops, this is now been cut to one, and no matter what I do, I cannot get 4 desktops back.
2) I no longer have a screen to logout, shutdown, reboot - I get thrown to the "login" new session / user window where from there you can select whether you want to shut down or reboot.
3) Any tv application (like TVtime) has it's video completely ruined, as if it's working on a different tv system, diagonal lines across the whole screen of the application.
4) Some applications that load from session to session no longer seem to remember where they were last placed, and if you put them where you want them to be, they will revet back to some other place on the screen. These were not locked with the settings to remember position / metrics etc.

That's all I tested / found. So, apart from all the scr*wups of the display, the driver is now installed and running. And it seems faster to load menus and certain applications.

If it's this difficult to get things running, no Windows user will switch to Linux :-(, especially ones that have never touched a DOS prompt!

netllama 11-13-06 07:19 PM

Other than your issue #3, the others all sound like Mandriva specific configuration problems, rather than nvidia driver issues.

I'd like to see an nvidia-bug-report.log while issue #3 is present.

Thanks,
Lonni

Tweetie 11-14-06 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
I'd like to see an nvidia-bug-report.log while issue #3 is present.

Being a Linux newbie, could you tell me where to expect to find such a file (if it exists)? If it exists, I'll post it here.

Thanks for the help in getting the driver installed at least :) .