nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EVGA 8800 GTS + 9742 = freeze (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80397)

miragedarksun 11-14-06 06:02 PM

EVGA 8800 GTS + 9742 = freeze

2 Attachment(s)
OK, bought a EVGA 8800 GTS, because they're supported in the latest beta driver, 9742. But as soon as X launches, the machine freezes completely, not even SysRq works. I don't know what info I can provide to help. Tried kernel 2.6.16 and 2.6.18, with and without the compiz options (from your howto). I'm really disappointed. To add insult to injury, the opensource nv driver doesn't work either, although that's not your fault, of course.

Attached are the log of one the the crashes, which ends randomly and most likely isn't complete (I can't even flush the filesystem because SysRq is dead), and my current xorg.conf (I know it's a mess but it has been working). I have an Asus K8N4-E Deluxe motherboard with an AMD Athlon64 3200+, and a Viewsonic VX2025wm. Everything works perfectly in windows xp. If you need anything else, just ask.

netllama 11-14-06 06:05 PM

Re: EVGA 8800 GTS + 9742 = freeze

Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni

miragedarksun 11-14-06 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, my bad, I thought nvidia-bug-report.sh only worked when run inside X. Here it is.

netllama 11-14-06 06:58 PM

I have a few questions:
0) Did you have a different NVIDIA graphics card working in Linux in this same motherboard prior to the 8800?
1) I doubt this is causing the hang, however is there a reason why you're not requesting the glx module in xorg.conf ?
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
(EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

2) Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?
3) If you boot with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters does that have any impact?
4) Does using a kernel.org kernel have any impact?

Thanks,
Lonni

miragedarksun 11-14-06 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Did you have a different NVIDIA graphics card working in Linux in this same motherboard prior to the 8800?
1) I doubt this is causing the hang, however is there a reason why you're not requesting the glx module in xorg.conf ?
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
(EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

2) Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?
3) If you boot with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters does that have any impact?
4) Does using a kernel.org kernel have any impact?

Thanks,
Lonni

0) Previously i had a XFX 7900GT in this motherboard (still have it around, if you need a bugreport with that one running in X).

1) I forgot to turn GLX back on. I had just tried nv and vesa drivers, so I turned GLX off. Sorry about that, but it hangs either way.

2, 3, 4) I'll check that ASAP. But i already lost a motherboard recently due to a faulty flash chip that didn't handle the write (even tried recovering it with hot-flash using another board, etc). So, I kind of hate touching bioses...

Thanks for these fast replies.

miragedarksun 11-14-06 08:19 PM

2) The bios is up-to-date, fortunately. It's version 1010.

3) Doesn't change anything.

4) Tried vanilla 2.6.18.2, same thing.

Thanks,
Tiago Sousa

netllama 11-14-06 09:05 PM

Which motherboard are you using?

miragedarksun 11-15-06 02:22 AM

I have an Asus K8N4-E Deluxe motherboard with an AMD Athlon64 3200+, and a Viewsonic VX2025wm monitor. I said so in the first post :)

netllama 11-15-06 11:15 AM

Sorry, I overlooked the details in your first post.

Do you happen to have the ability to setup a serial console or netconsole to capture any kernel messages associated with the crash?

Thanks,
Lonni

miragedarksun 11-15-06 12:16 PM

I've never done that before, so I bought a null modem cable and I'll post when I get some info out of it.

netllama 11-15-06 12:30 PM

Setting up a serial console is not difficult, however it requires a 2nd system, as well as a serial cable (also known as a null modem cable).

Attach the serial cable to the serial ports of the two systems.

On your target system, add the following additional kernel parameters:
console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0

On the 2nd system, you can use 'screen' to capture the serial output:
screen /dev/ttyS0 115200

Note that I referenced the first serial port, /dev/ttyS0, in my examples above. You can grep dmesg output for ttyS to see if your systems are using a different serial port.

If everything is setup correctly, you should see the boot time output in the serial c
onsole, and then you should also be able to capture any kernel messages that are generated when the system crashes.

miragedarksun 11-15-06 02:01 PM

Thanks for your help. It's almost working... First I was going crazy because the kernel didn't output anything, until a friend of mine reminded me I had to enable the serial console also in the kernel configuration. Now, the kernel is using the serial console but stops right before init goes live:

Code:

[snip]
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 240k freed

I noticed that if I use anything of SysRq, the output indeed goes to the serial console; but all other normal dmesg output like loading nvidia driver doesn't go to the serial console after init starts. Any ideas?