nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GF6800 and new driver 9629 install prob (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80627)

kickback 11-17-06 02:50 PM

GF6800 and new driver 9629 install prob

i did do some searching and found nothing related to me specifically.

when i put in the command: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run and hit enter, it says CAN'T OPEN sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run. i followed the steps from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 and don't know where to go from here on out. i'm getting more confused and frustrated about this. i don't expect it to be easy, but, sometimes the howto's are still not detailed enough or i'm just not getting it. is there a simple fix or am I doing it all wrong from the start?

thx for any help on this.

Cambo 11-17-06 03:04 PM

Re: GF6800 and new driver 9629 install prob

Couple of things you could try;

- check that the file has execution rights with 'ls -l NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run'. If you have something like '-rw-r--r--', then type 'chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run'

- If the directory with the NVIDIA-* file is not in your PATH, then the command you entered will not find it. Try 'sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run'. This tells 'sh' to look for the file in the current directory. You might need to change 'sh' to 'bash', if your distribution does not use 'bash' as the standard shell.

Cambo

kickback 11-17-06 03:18 PM

ok. i re-downloaded the file form nvidia's website to my home folder, it was originally on the desktop and apparently it didn't think it was there. when i used the ls command, it said no such file or directory.

when i used the sh command to install, it got so far and said i must be root or something to that nature. how do get i root and then install the driver. im new to this, so plz bear with me, but i'm a fast learner and it will stick in my head once i know how to do this.

thx again for any help.

Cambo 11-17-06 03:33 PM

I would suggest looking at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79966

That post is mainly aimed at Ubuntu (you haven't said which version of Linux you are using), but it should help with most distros.

Cambo

kickback 11-17-06 04:19 PM

i have ubuntu installed and i did EXACTLY what that post said and it keeps saying no such file or directory and the file IS there. i'm not going to deal with it too much longer, if i can't even get the vid drivers installed, then why would i waste my time with this lame crap.

Cambo 11-17-06 04:28 PM

If you are used to Windows, you may have fallen for the fact that Linux makes a distinction between lowercase and uppercase characters - ie. 'NV' != 'nv'.

As the filename is so long, I alway just type the './NV' bit, then press the Tab key. The shell will then attempt to complete the filename for you. When you have more than one filename with that as the start, it will fill in up to the point where they differ. You can then type the next character of the filename you want, and press tab again. Very handy if you have several version of the Nvidia drivers downloaded ;-)

Please, be patient. Linux can take a bit of effort to get to grips with, but it is well worth persevering with.

Cambo

kickback 11-17-06 04:45 PM

[quote=Cambo]If you are used to Windows, you may have fallen for the fact that Linux makes a distinction between lowercase and uppercase characters - ie. 'NV' != 'nv'.

As the filename is so long, I alway just type the './NV' bit, then press the Tab key. The shell will then attempt to complete the filename for you. When you have more than one filename with that as the start, it will fill in up to the point where they differ. You can then type the next character of the filename you want, and press tab again. Very handy if you have several version of the Nvidia drivers downloaded ;-)

Please, be patient. Linux can take a bit of effort to get to grips with, but it is well worth persevering with.

Cambo[/QUOTE
i typed it in just as the file name is ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run and it refuses no matter what. take a bit of effort? more like you're gonna go BALD if you install this bs and try to use it. i'm pissed off and i can see why linux isn't BIG, it's too gd clunky and complicated and bitchier than a woman having PMS.

linux has a looooooooooooooooooooong way to go before I'll ever consider it again. i don't even think i'm gonna consider it period for that matter.

oh and tell me why it will find it when im logged in regularly it finds the file and not when i follow that guide you directed me to? I put the same command in the terminal within gnome and it finds it, but gives me the stupid need root to continue crap. if someone has a good answer, i'm all ears as this is the last chance it's getting with me. yep i'm not so forgiving like others may be with it.

kickback 11-17-06 05:32 PM

i'm lost as hell. this is greek to me right now. cambo if u feel like suggesting something, plz do. maybe it's simple, i dunno.

thx

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Fri Nov 17 17:59:00 2006

option status:
license pre-accepted : false
update : false
force update : false
expert : false
uninstall : false
driver info : false
precompiled interfaces : true
no ncurses color : false
query latest version : false
OpenGL header files : true
no questions : false
silent : false
no recursion : false
no backup : false
kernel module only : false
sanity : false
add this kernel : false
no runlevel check : false
no network : false
no ABI note : false
no RPMs : false
no kernel module : false
force SELinux : default
no X server check : false
force tls : (not specified)
X install prefix : (not specified)
X library install path : (not specified)
X module install path : (not specified)
OpenGL install prefix : (not specified)
OpenGL install libdir : (not specified)
utility install prefix : (not specified)
utility install libdir : (not specified)
doc install prefix : (not specified)
kernel name : (not specified)
kernel include path : (not specified)
kernel source path : (not specified)
kernel output path : (not specified)
kernel install path : (not specified)
proc mount point : /proc
ui : (not specified)
tmpdir : /tmp
ftp mirror : ftp://download.nvidia.com
RPM file list : (not specified)

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you li
ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel f
rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)
-> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site;
this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for
your kernel.
ERROR: You do not appear to have libc header files installed on your system.
Please install your distribution's libc development package.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

netllama 11-17-06 05:44 PM

See:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

kickback 11-17-06 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama

i did what was listed at the bottom before i did anything else when i started to read on how to install the drivers. i dont know if the SELinux part applies to me or not though. i don't think it does, but what do i know, i just started using ubuntu/linux. i don't know what else to do at this point. thx netllama. anything else maybe? i hate to keep naggin, but if i get this done, then i should be good to go.

Cambo 11-17-06 05:55 PM

OK, it appears that you don't have the Linux kernel source files installed that the drivers need, and possibly not some of the compile tools.

Code:

sudo aptitude install linux-headers gcc make
That should get you the bits you need. If you are on Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake, use 'apt-get' instead of 'aptitude'

Cambo

netllama 11-17-06 06:01 PM

The error is:
You do not appear to have libc header files installed on your system. Please install your distribution's libc development package.

You need to install libc6-dev, gcc, binutils, make, and anything else needed for a development environment in Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Lonni