nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fedora 6 kernel-update: driver-installation fails again (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80865)

Sybren 11-21-06 03:13 AM

Fedora 6 kernel-update: driver-installation fails again

1 Attachment(s)
A few weeks ago I managed to install the nvidia-driver (version 8776) on a fresh installed Fedora 6 (x86_64).
Recently Fedora 6 updated its kernel (2.6.18-1.2798 -> 2.6.18-1.2849).
As expected I had to go through the entire nvidia-driver-installation-process again, and somewhere it goes wrong: both driver-version 8776 and 9629 end with:
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module
I think the "autoconf.h"-thing isn't the problem now.
Enclosed is the nvidia-installer.log file.
As a non-programmer I can't see in this file what I missed along the installation-road.

Cambo 11-21-06 03:24 AM

Re: Fedora 6 kernel-update: driver-installation fails again

Quote:

/bin/sh: scripts/genksyms/genksyms: No such file or directory
That may be the problem. Sorry, I'm not familiar with FC, so I can only point out something that looks out of place :/

Cambo

Sybren 11-21-06 08:04 AM

It indeed may be a problem, but how to solve it?
There are i.a. two files in scripts/genksyms:
genksyms.c
genksyms.h

I really have no idea which (instruction in which) file looks for scripts/genksyms/genksyms and/or how to solve this problem. I can't remember such problems from the original installation of the nvidia-driver.

netllama 11-21-06 11:03 AM

According to the log, you're using a custom kernel, whose source seems to be in an inconsistant state.

Sybren 11-21-06 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
According to the log, you're using a custom kernel, whose source seems to be in an inconsistant state.

Well, the kernel itself has been updated with "yum update".
For the update of the source, I followed the 10 steps in paragraph 8.6 of the Release Notes of Fedora 6,
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/releas...html#id2980667
(I did this as "root", as a "normal user" I didn't pass step 1 of 10)
This may explain the /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18 etc. in the logfile.
The update of the 32-bit version of the kernel may have influenced things, but with the original installation of the driver the installation of the 32-bit version of the kernel was the final hurdle before things went right.
Please note that during the failing installation there is a bar running to 100%, it's only then that the error message appears.

BloodyKilled 11-26-06 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the same problem: ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module, if i am typing some parameters to disable making module kernels that's going ok but without modules, of course... I have FC6 installed too, and 2.6.18-1.2798, and sources, that ive got using yum (*-1.28** kernel)
Look at my logfile, and please, anybody try to help us... I had not so big problems in Slackware but here i have no things about..

Sybren 11-26-06 06:20 AM

Success in the end.
With "Yum Extender"-program I removed kernel-devel-packages (yes: plural).
Also with "Yum Extender" I installed kernel-devel-package (again). Now files were put under /usr/src/kernels (instead of /usr/src/redhat or ~/rpmbuild).
Only a small annoyance during installation of the nvidia-driver:
ERROR: File '/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so' is not a symbolic link
but this message did not stop the installation-process.

I can't wait until the next kernel-update of Fedora 6 (or can I?)!

netllama 11-26-06 12:44 PM

BloodyKilled,
1.0-8774 is no longer supported, and isn't expected to work in FC6. Please use 1.0-9629 or 1.0-9742.

Thanks,
Lonni

Belegdol 11-26-06 07:06 PM

Btw, why don't you configure yum to use rpm.livna.org repository? IIRC it was recommended to use things like that. You could then install nvidia binary drivers with a simple yum command like:
Quote:

yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
and apart from that, you'll avoid many problems that may arise due to the fact that nvidia installer overwrites mesa libGL library.

BloodyKilled 12-05-06 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
netllama, thanks a lot, man! im goin to get latest drivers :) huh

editing my msg: got drivers and got other problem....... here is my new log.:(

RogueKitsune 12-05-06 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am also having trouble installing the nVidia graphics driver as well. However i don't think my problem is as complexe as Bloodykilled's. It has something to do with the X server, or so the installer says. This is my first time actually using Fedora Core for an extended period of time so i still need to learn some things, so if you have a solution to my problem please go step by step.

Cambo 12-05-06 08:19 PM

@RogueKitsune: You have to leave X-Windows to be able to install the driver. Check out the Stickies - I believe you should be able to find info on Fedora Core there.

Cambo