nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Rotation of only one screen (with TwinView) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80953)

pieleric 11-22-06 08:16 AM

Rotation of only one screen (with TwinView)

Hello,

I'm the lucky owner of two screens. One of them can even rotate. I'm using TwinView with xinerama.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to tell the nvidia driver to rotate only the rotable screen. xrandr will rotate everything or nothing :-( Is there any way to rotate only one screen? Does anyone know if the windows version of the driver permits such thing or is there any hardware limitation (I doubt about this) ?

One way to express it would be through metamodes, a special word to specify the rotation, like for the position or the frequency. For instance one could write for two screens of 1280x1024 which can either be seen both normal or one rotated to the left (ol) and one normal:
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0:1280x1024, CRT-0:1280x1024; DFP-0: 1024x1280 ol, CRT-0: 1280x1024"

Would it be possible to implement this kind of option if it doesn't exist yet?
Eric

AaronP 11-22-06 10:10 AM

Re: Rotation of only one screen (with TwinView)

I'm not sure what you mean by "using TwinView with Xinerama." If you're using TwinView, then currently you can only rotate the whole screen. If you're using Xinerama, the RandR extension is disabled but you can rotate an indivdual display by using the "Rotate" X config file option.

pieleric 11-23-06 08:47 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. Indeed, I'm using TwinView, xrandr works and allows me to rotate whenever I need it (xinerama extension is activated, that's why I said that I was using xinerama).

I'll try to disable twinview and keep my screen rotated, although this is still restricting :-(

So, for now, it's not possible to rotate only the screen which is rotated while using twinview. Any hope to have this posibility of separate rotation added? Especially now that Dell starts have most of its screens rotable ;-)

phw 02-06-07 03:34 AM

Hello,

I am very interested in this feature too !
Please, could you tell me if it is planned to implement it ?

/PHW

QBobWatson 02-24-07 02:01 PM

I also vote for this feature. I know it can be done using Xinerama and not TwinView, but Beryl/Compiz don't work with Xinerama. I have two monitors, and I want one to be vertical, the other horizontal, and I want to use Beryl.

NB Beryl actually *does* work without XRandR (if you hack the source), but using multi-head Xinerama, the NVidia driver won't let you run glXMakeCurrent() on the composite overlay window. So I suppose I'd be happy if the driver supported either:
(1) rotating one monitor with TwinView
(2) running glXMakeCurrent() on the composite overlay window

uberben 03-10-07 10:12 PM

I would also really like to see this feature happen. I am in the process of converting over to Linux and plan to use beryl, but I also want to keep my current monitor configuration from my windows install, the left monitor normal and the right monitor rotated. The right monitor is also has a very slightly lower vertical resolution so that I can quickly move my mouse to the top right corner of the screen to close any full screen window. If anyone finds a way to get beryl and single monitor rotation working, please let us know.

Astro96 05-26-07 04:51 PM

I would also love to see this feature implemented. Are there any plans to do so?

phw 09-06-07 07:59 AM

Up !!

Is there a way to allow this rotation of only one screen in twinview mode ?

I just check from time to time.. It s a pity to have such a nice graphic card and dual monitors and not be able to do this !

Thanks!

Thunderbird 09-06-07 08:06 AM

As is described in various threads (and hinted to in this one by aaronp), you can get that behavior if you use separate X screens (set the rotate option for the screen for which you want rotation) and then combine the screens to one desktop using Xinerama. Roughly speaking Xinerama and Twinview give a similar end-result. In fact RandR 1.2 is very similar to Twinview.

phw 09-06-07 08:58 AM

Thank you for your attention & answer. The reason why I would like to use twinview :

"
WARNING: The Composite X extension does not currently interact well with the Xinerama option; the Composite X extension will be disabled.
"

with twinview, composite works well

Thanks again

badger101101 05-05-08 08:18 PM

Any update on this feature? I don't want to give up compiz just so I can rotate one of my screens.

eetu 05-21-08 07:47 AM

How hard can it be to implement proper drivers? It really sucks that I have to choose between a proprietary technology which doesn't have support for my use case (one horizontal, one vertical monitor), but supports compositing (TwinView) and a deprecated technology which supports my use case, but disables compositing and makes certain applications with multiple windows completely unresponsive (Xinerama).

I guess RandR 1.2 would be the correct way of doing multi-head support these days. Support for it has been promised "in a future release" a year ago, but I'm not holding my breath.