nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   7800GS whistles/shrieks with simple OpenGL app (attached) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81566)

Griffon26 12-02-06 10:30 AM

7800GS whistles/shrieks with simple OpenGL app (attached)
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have a Club3D 7800GS AGP that starts producing a high-pitched sound when I run a simple OpenGL application. I have reduced the application to basically a single call to SwapBuffers (see attachment for source code). I'm running this application in Linux with nvidia drivers 1.0.9629

I have no problems running 3D games in Windows (don't think there are any OpenGL games among them though). Nor does the problem occur when running glxgears in Linux.

The frequency of the sound produced seems to be dependent on the frame rate, because as I was ripping out more and more stuff from my application the frequency went up.

Has anyone else seen this problem or can anyone reproduce it with the application that I attached? I'm really hesitant to continue testing with this sound going on... it sounds like something's gonna die =(

Maurice.

MOC 12-02-06 08:15 PM

Re: 7800GS whistles/shrieks with simple OpenGL app (attached)
 
They put a small speaker next to the 4 pin molex power receptacle for temps
and power problems to alert you ,I would download NvTempLogger @
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1194

Then this way you van see if something is going on with your temps as you run it ,worth a shot <.I like NvTemplogger for the fact that I van see what my card is running at ,all the time .

Q 12-02-06 08:30 PM

Re: 7800GS whistles/shrieks with simple OpenGL app (attached)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffon26
I have a Club3D 7800GS AGP that starts producing a high-pitched sound when I run a simple OpenGL application. I have reduced the application to basically a single call to SwapBuffers (see attachment for source code). I'm running this application in Linux with nvidia drivers 1.0.9629

I have no problems running 3D games in Windows (don't think there are any OpenGL games among them though). Nor does the problem occur when running glxgears in Linux.

The frequency of the sound produced seems to be dependent on the frame rate, because as I was ripping out more and more stuff from my application the frequency went up.

Has anyone else seen this problem or can anyone reproduce it with the application that I attached? I'm really hesitant to continue testing with this sound going on... it sounds like something's gonna die =(

Maurice.

I've had this problem with a x1900xt and now a 8800GTX. Its nothing to worry about, just a side effect of the high frequencies in the new hardware.

Griffon26 12-04-06 02:41 PM

Re: 7800GS whistles/shrieks with simple OpenGL app (attached)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOC
They put a small speaker next to the 4 pin molex power receptacle for temps and power problems to alert you ,I would download NvTempLogger @http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1194

I couldn't reproduce the problem in Windows, so I can't use this utility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qlitchford
I've had this problem with a x1900xt and now a 8800GTX. Its nothing to worry about, just a side effect of the high frequencies in the new hardware.

I don't think that's what it is. It sounds too loud.

Actually, I've made a recording of it. When the video goes black halfway through the recording, I moved my cam to the back of my computer case.

Griffon26 12-05-06 02:50 PM

Re: 7800GS whistles/shrieks with simple OpenGL app (SOLVED!)
 
I opened up my case and tried to listen where the sound was coming from.
Then I accidentally touched the cable going to the extra power input of the card and the sound went away!
Apparently the vibration of the fan at certain speeds made something else vibrate and create that sound.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.