nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Will we ever see an amd64 NVidia driver for FreeBSD? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82203)

conrads 12-11-06 04:02 PM

Will we ever see an amd64 NVidia driver for FreeBSD?

The subject line says it all. There are *lots* of us out here with NVidia-based amd64 boxes who would be thrilled and delighted to see proper accelerated support for our graphics hardware. While the "nv" driver included in the xorg distribution does work, it has definite limitations, particularly in the area of hardware-based acceleration, 2-D, 3-D or otherwise.

I there are any specific technical hindrances holding up progress on the development of an amd64 driver for FreeBSD, please don't hesitate to contact any of the following FreeBSD mailing lists, which are simply rife with knowledgeable, helpful people:

freebsd-amd64
freebsd-arch
freebsd-bugs
freebsd-current
freebsd-drivers
freebsd-hackers
freebsd-hardware
freebsd-multimedia
freebsd-stable
freebsd-x11

All of the above are hosted on "@FreeBSD.org", of course.

Thank you for your time and consideration re: this matter.

Sincerely,

Conrad J. Sabatier
<conrads@cox.net>

adamk75 12-11-06 05:03 PM

Re: Will we ever see an amd64 NVidia driver for FreeBSD?

This has been rehashed, over and over and over again. There are technical hindrances (in FreeBSD) to such a driver and nVidia has been working with the FreeBSD developers to fix them. There will undoubtedly be a FreeBSD/amd64 driver from nVidia once those problems have been resolved.

Adam

DasFox 01-09-07 02:46 AM

LOL, I ditched FreeBSD, when it couldn't even support my nForce2 board, support was so crappy, and this was with 6.0 and it was like, well how long has FreeBSD been around, and how long the nForce boards been around, and they still couldn't get decent support for it.

FreeBSD can be great at some things, and at other times the hardware support can be really lame.

FreeBSD is really behind the times with Nvidia support, don't expect anything anytime soon.

SirDice 01-09-07 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DasFox
LOL, I ditched FreeBSD, when it couldn't even support my nForce2 board, support was so crappy, and this was with 6.0 and it was like, well how long has FreeBSD been around, and how long the nForce boards been around, and they still couldn't get decent support for it.

Support for nForce2 was added in 6.0, the current version is 6.2-prerelease. First time a driver gets added it's bound to contain bugs. That why people need to test and send in bug reports. Bugs get fixed over time. You won't believe how crappy 3.0[*] ran compared to 6.2. Perhaps you should upgrade?

Quote:

FreeBSD can be great at some things, and at other times the hardware support can be really lame.
That's what you get when you buy state of the art hardware. If you buy a new mainboard with a brand spanking new chipset on it I'll doubt Linux will have support for it to. I look through the hardware compatibility list before I buy new hardware. That way I can be sure my hardware works with my OS of choice.

[*] Yes, I'm a long time FreeBSD user. Almost a decade now :)

Malus 01-09-07 03:29 PM

FreeBSD came out with a driver for my VIA 8251 chipset months before Linux did. Also, the BSDs have much better support for wireless cards than Linux does. Linux isn't always better in that regard.

brakezone 01-16-07 07:57 PM

AS far as nforce2 is concerned, thats absolutely ridiculous. I've had an nforce2 motherboard acting as a internet firewall as far back as freebsd 5.1!!!! The only thing that wasn't in the general kernel was the ethernet driver for the nvidia ethernet card; however, this was available in the ports system.

Most all the drivers were supported by freebsd and the ethernet driver was availalbe in the ports section long before 6.0 was out. I've had that same system with 3d support, audio support, ethernet support as far back as freebsd 5.1. The motherboard was A7N8X - deluxe.

"LOL, I ditched FreeBSD, when it couldn't even support my nForce2 board, support was so crappy, and this was with 6.0 and it was like, well how long has FreeBSD been around, and how long the nForce boards been around, and they still couldn't get decent support for it."

Can you be any more ignorant?

h0nke 01-22-07 04:40 PM

Yes, we will.

When? Your guess is as good as mine.

FreeBSD has supported nforce2 boards forever, not sure why you had problems there. I have installed several older versions on my A7V8X-E deluxe perfect.

dcrosstech 02-07-07 12:54 PM

Ok... There are problems in FreeBSD preventing amd64... what are they?

Have they been posted to a mailing list, has a PR been filed? Any reference would be great for us to know; there are people here who are willing and capable to solve these issues within FreeBSD.

Please give us a pointer and we'll help out. Even if that helping is just leaning on other people.

SirDice 02-07-07 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcrosstech

Have they been posted to a mailing list, has a PR been filed? Any reference would be great for us to know; there are people here who are willing and capable to solve these issues within FreeBSD.

Please give us a pointer and we'll help out. Even if that helping is just leaning on other people.

Look in the other AMD64 thread..

Edit: It seems it's pretty buried now.. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41545 the interesting bits are at the end..

adamk75 02-07-07 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcrosstech

Yes, they've been posted to a mailing list:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ne/016995.html

dcrosstech 02-08-07 10:27 AM

Thank you very much for your prompt and accurate reply.

I will apply what pressure I can :)

anonuser 03-04-07 10:02 PM

The pmap_* interfaces were developed. At least on -CURRENT (7 at the time of this posting).
And other interfaces existed that addressed the majority of the problems, ie contiguous mapped memory and device cloning.

I'd love to hear about what's going to happen to the FreeBSD drivers and maybe what are the current limitations with getting FreeBSD improved nvidia support.