nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nvidia - Mandriva 2007 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82289)

SparkerR 12-12-06 10:05 PM

Nvidia - Mandriva 2007

Can anyone help me get any form of the 3d desktop working? AIglx does nothing and Xgl locks up my KDE after I restart.

Kernel:2.6.17-5mdk
Video card: Geforce 6800 - Drivers 9629
CPU: 32bit 2600+ Barton core

-- I do not know how to fix it once it crashes, Which means I end up reinstalling and starting over after every crash :(

netllama 12-12-06 10:13 PM

Re: Nvidia - Mandriva 2007

See:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498

SparkerR 12-13-06 12:59 AM

that didnt help me at all...

My problem is not with the drivers working with my kernel, I have full OpenGL and I play quake and WoW on linux, My problem is when I try to use a 3d desktop like AIglx or Xgl, AIglx does absolutely nothing, and Xgl freezes my X upon entering KDE.

SparkerR 12-13-06 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparkerR
that didnt help me at all...

My problem is not with the drivers working with my kernel, I have full OpenGL and I play quake and WoW on linux, My problem is when I try to use a 3d desktop like AIglx or Xgl, AIglx does absolutely nothing, and Xgl freezes my X upon entering KDE.

Xgl actually doesnt FREEZE my system, it just shows everything in white, does anyone know how to fix this? I am quite new to linux and dont know how to turn it off.

iarwain 12-13-06 10:17 AM

I had the same issue on Mandriva 2007 x86_64 with a GeForce 6800 PCI-E. X loads fine. NO desktop is displayed, though it seems to load fine. It is black or white. The cursor is displayed and everything else seems only masked.

Running "startx -- -verbose 5" shows NO ERRORS. It loads to KDE fine, but shows a cursor on a blank screen. After using keyboard shortcuts to exit, still NO ERRORS.

I finally seem to have fixed the issue by uninstalling the nVidia drivers (--uninstall option) then installing an earlier version.

I would think the developers at nVidia would have tested the drivers in at least RedHat... and possibly Mandriva, as these along with Ubuntu/Debian seem to be the most common Linux desktop distros. Yet I've never seen a pre-compiled nVidia driver for standard Mandriva kernels...

SparkerR 12-13-06 11:45 AM

can you go into detail how to uninstall the Nvidia drivers? i am fairly new with linux and dont quite know the basics yet. I have reinstalled mandriva 2007 about 4 times now because after trying to enable xgl and having those issues, I dont know how to fix it or uninstall the Nvidia drivers.

I am using the 9629 drivers, I supose I could try the 9631 drivers instead.. I've also googled these issues and it appears MANY people have the same issues with a Geforce6 series video card, But other than some massive tweaking, no one seems to know how to fix this.

TPG 12-13-06 12:39 PM

First do NOT use nvidia's stock drivers against mandriva if you are going to use AIGLX/Xgl.

Use the plf nvidia drivers. That is the recomended way to get best performance and to avoid lot of problems!

Visit this site: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ where you can add few medias.
I'd suggest to you to check contrib, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

At the end you will just need to copy few lines to konsole(ofcourse logged in as a root)
and run it.

Then you need to uninstall nvidia drivers: press ALT+CTRL+F1
login as a "root" and then type:
init 3
sh /path/to/nvidia-1.0-XXXX.pgg1.run --uninstall

After that you have to type this:

urpmi nvidia

When it is done type "init 5" to get back to X.

SparkerR 12-13-06 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPG
First do NOT use nvidia's stock drivers against mandriva if you are going to use AIGLX/Xgl.

Use the plf nvidia drivers. That is the recomended way to get best performance and to avoid lot of problems!

At the end you will just need to copy few lines to konsole(ofcourse logged in as a root)
and run it.

init 3

urpmi nvidia

At the moment I am reinstalling mandriva, but I will try this, What exactly does this do? installs a seprate nvidia driver than what is on thier website? will this allow me to run the AIglx or Xgl desktops? I have also installed BeryL which seamed to work ok untill I rebooted, then it wouldnt let me back into X. the error has somthing to do with simple fonts not being installed.

qraton 12-13-06 02:32 PM

No need to reinstall. If X locks up boot into a terminal (press ctr-alt-F2) log in as root (by typing 'root' <enter> password <enter>) and type 'killall X' and then 'exit'. Then go to terminal 1 (ctr-alt-F1), and type:mcc and disable 3d effects. Log out as root by typing exit and login as your normal user. Type then: startx

If you understand nothing of this reboot your PC and log in: linux-failsafe and type: init 3. Log in as root and type 'mcc'. Disable 3d effects, exit root and login as normal user and startx.

Good luck

SparkerR 12-13-06 02:40 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! that saves me about an hour of re-installing and re-downloading drivers every time the 3d desktop fails

SparkerR 12-13-06 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPG

and run it.

init 3

urpmi nvidia

I have done everything mentioned here, now I get an error when trying to sign into X, signing into X through root works, but is extreamly slow and none of my windows are movable, resizable, or have buttons to close/minimize them.

I cant seem to find the xorg.conf log anywhere to post the error

netllama 12-13-06 04:29 PM

Did you generate an nvidia-bug-report.log?