nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   WTF?? Ntune killed my system (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82944)

Rayman1968 12-23-06 04:41 PM

WTF?? Ntune killed my system

Not being real familiar with overclocking I decided to run the Ntune utility on my new system. I was running the 20 minute 'coarse tuning'. About 12 minutes into it the program says it's changing the CPU FSB. Then the system bluescreens and reboots. During POST I get a message that windows can not load because C:\windows\system\config is either missing or corrupt and I'll need to do a recovery from the Windows CD (XP SP2).

So I start the recovery process. At the end it finally says it can not configure the system and I need to contact the administrator. I reboot and right after the Windows XP loading screen I still get the BSOD. Bad_Pool_Header with no hex code. Can't get into safe mode either.

I set the defaults in the BIOS and cleared the CMOS thinking Ntune must have jacked something in the BIOS but I still get the bluescreen.

Is a reformat my only way out here? I'm scared that even after a reformat I'm still going to get that BSOD rendering my system useless.

john19055 12-23-06 05:18 PM

Re: WTF?? Ntune killed my system

Yes it sound like you have curruption on the disk ,so you more then likely need to do a complete reformatt and reinstall windows to get it up and running again.

SLippe 12-29-06 11:23 PM

NTune is crap and has been known to cause slow-down in game performance. I suggest you use Rivatuner next time.

gulizard 01-11-07 06:46 PM

nTune did the same to mine, or I presume. I thought maybe it was my hard-drive because I used a partition to install Vista on, and then removed it, and I saw there was 8MB of unpartition space, so I added it.

Things went fine, and I decided I'd go for 3GHz since I am getting a new CPU, mobo, and RAM here soon. So I pushed it up to 3GHz, it froze during Aquamark. So I went into the BIOS and changed my RAM down to 133MHz, voltage to a 3% increase (MSI actually gives percentages in voltage increases), and got into windows.

I went to nTune, and got 3GHz out of my CPU. Aquamark was running 3-4 times in a row no freeze up. Thinking I had a solid overclock I jumped back into my bios after foolishly saving my profile to change to my new settings on start-up. Went into my BIOS put the HTT to 250 (3GHz), and restarted.

Blue Screen, instantly. I tried several things, finally got into windows under safe mode, and backed things up. I turned the PC off went to bed. Got up the next morning changed things to default, in the Bios; even went back to the original clock speed. (I had been running at 2.88GHz stable) I went into safe mode deleted that profile, and even attempted to uninstall nTune can't do that through safe mode. So I booted up into windows normal and I had set it to do a desk check, it did that. Booted in, lasted for about 5 minutes while I was trying to uninstall nTune BOOM BSOD!

To find out what the error was I went into safe mode, unchecked "Automatic Restart", and I went into windows. Got the BSOD again, and it was "Mass Storage Failure atapi.sys. I was beginning to wonder how in the hell this could of gotten corrupt, not unless voltage has anything to do with BSOD. Anyway I did a quick format, and got the BSOD while trying to install my network drive. Same ERROR. So I did the long format, and in the middle of the damn format it came across a BAD SECTOR, and before I could read the entire error I got a blue screen in the middle of SETTING WINDOWS UP WTF!? Yeah I know crazy ****. So I unplugged that hard drive, (IDE Hard drive) smashed in to bits, went out got my a 320GB at over priced best buy, and installed worked fine.

SlieTheSecond 01-11-07 07:02 PM

I agree with john19055. From what I hear nTune sucks the big one. Probably went pass the limit on something with speed/voltage and caused some files to become corrupted in the process.

What motherboard was it also? I only ask because a motherboard I tried for a day resulted in a boot failure do to a corrupted boot loader file after overclocking. Then it worked for one or two boots after a reset in bios. Then I got the corrupted file again. Turned out to be the motherboard, because I never repaired the file. I got a new motherboard and it worked fine.