nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Problem with geforce2 mx 400 and the drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83)

Cloral 07-28-02 03:46 PM

Problem with geforce2 mx 400 and the drivers

When I got my new computer about a year ago, I noticed that no dos programs wanted to run. Even the dos prompt wouldn't work in full-screen. This seemed like a display issue, so I got a older version of the driver pack from my roommate and installed that - lo and behold, dos programs would now work again.
However, I began to notice display artifacts in my 3d games. Most notibly, texture alpha blending didn't seem to be working right, so that textured objects had very hard edges. So when I saw that there was a newer version of the drivers available, I downloaded and installed them. Unfortunately, this brought back the dos problem.
So I tried to uninstall the drivers and go back to the older ones again. I first tried this by removing the mx 400 from the device manager, but Windows just automatically reinstalled it each time. Then I figured out that you have to remove it via the add/remove programs dialog (which might I add is incredibly unorthodox). However, when I installed the older ones again, I got an error that Windows (wich btw is Windows 98 SE) couldn't detect them and it made me reinstall the newer ones again! Help!

I have one other quick question. Is the geforce2 mx 400 supposed to support texture alpha blending (as alluded to above), or is it just incapable of it?

PCarr78 07-28-02 04:02 PM

i have never heard of this problem before.

Exactly which versions of the driver are you using

Cloral 07-29-02 07:14 PM

I dunno. It won't tell me.

PCarr78 07-29-02 07:18 PM

Try the latest 30.30 drivers off NVIDIA's website

what do you mean it wont tell you?

Cloral 07-29-02 07:24 PM

:confused:

There is no 30.30 download available at the nVidia site! The last one they have that I can see is 29.42, which I tried downloading and installing again just to see, and it prevented Windows from booting! I even did a search on their site for 30.30, and it returned 0 results.

As for the driver version, Windows will only tell me the date, which it lists as sometime in september last year. This makes no sense to me.

volt 07-29-02 07:30 PM

I don't remember new dets being added to nvidia's databse :confused: Current version is still 29.42. So you might try those or 30.30

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

Videocard Drivers -> NVIDIA detonator drivers -> Detonator 30.00 Windows 9x/ME

Cloral 07-29-02 07:53 PM

OK. I got the drivers. When I tried to install them, it says:

"Wizard Error - Could not find nView on your system. Please reinstall."

:confused: I'm trying to do the initial install! How can I reinstall when I can't install in the first place?

Wolfie 07-30-02 11:38 PM

do you have the orginal cd? if you do delete everything and put that in. and then upgrade drivers. i think the cd has the nview thing on it.

wolfie

Cloral 07-31-02 12:06 AM

Never got a CD - it came installed on my computer. And none of the other versions seem to want nView, just the new one.

SavagePaladin 08-01-02 09:57 AM

If nView is screwing with you, some earlier drivers did NOT uninstall, and when you tried to install over them you may have created a problem. I don't know.
You'll need someone with a better memory than me to tell you how to fix that.
____
it may have been as simple as me not rebooting when i was supposed to, if i had that issue

Cloral 08-01-02 03:01 PM

I removed the earlier versions using Detonator Destroyer. They should have been completely gone.

SavagePaladin 08-01-02 09:35 PM

sounds like a hardware error to me, either heat related or just bad hardware.
I really couldn't say.
My system gets all wierd on me if my vidcard overheats