nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Frequesnt screen flickers and occasional os crash (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83340)

riteshsarraf 12-30-06 02:05 PM

Frequesnt screen flickers and occasional os crash

Hi,

I see periodic screen flickering issues on my Dell XPS M1210 laptop which has an nVIDIA GeForce 7400 installed.

I see the following messages in dmesg:

NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 26, Ch 00000000 M 000003a4 D 00000000 intr 00500000
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 1, Ch 00000000 M 000003a4 D 00000000 intr 00500000

I noticed that on occasions, the kernel freezes also.

riteshsarraf 12-31-06 01:49 PM

Re: Frequesnt screen flickers and occasional os crash

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for forgetting to attach the bug report.
My browser (Konqueror) crashed on upload.

netllama 12-31-06 03:19 PM

I have a few questions:
0) Is there a reliable means of reproducing these problems?
1) Do these problems persist with an official Debian kernel?
2) Do these problems persist if you're not using the Composite extension?

Thanks,
Lonni

riteshsarraf 12-31-06 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Is there a reliable means of reproducing these problems?

Not 100%. But most of the times I see it. At the moment while I'm typing this message, my screen does flicker for a bunch of seconds in a minute.

1) Do these problems persist with an official Debian kernel?

I'm using the Official Debian Kernel Sources i.e. 2.6.18-8 and the reason being is that Debian doesn't ship binary kernel images for Pentium-M

2) Do these problems persist if you're not using the Composite extension?

I haven't checked that. But even if it didn't (without Composite X), it would still be a problem for the users of nVIDIA cards.

Thanks,
Lonni

Thanks,
Ritesh

netllama 12-31-06 03:52 PM

Can you elaborate on the flickering behavior? Is the screen going dark, or someting else entirely?

If the flickering is eliminated without Composite, it could very well be a bug outside of the nvidia driver, and rather in the compositing manager or window manager that you're using. Please test without Composite and with an official Debian kernel.

Thanks,
Lonni

riteshsarraf 12-31-06 03:53 PM

Also to add is that I'm using Beryl in Non-TFP mode because the nVIDIA drivers had serious windows blackening bug with these 3D application in TFP Mode.

To sum up, I'm using Beryl in:
* Rendering Path => Copy
* Composite Overlay Window => Automatic
* Rendering Platform => Force nVIDIA (Please not that other options are AIGLX but AFAIK for nVIDIA users it's recommended to use the nVIDIA Option)
* Binding => Strict Binding
* Rendering => Indirect Rendering

And the last option enabled is, Disable GL Yield Setting.

HTH,
Ritesh

riteshsarraf 12-31-06 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Can you elaborate on the flickering behavior? Is the screen going dark, or someting else entirely?

If the flickering is eliminated without Composite, it could very well be a bug outside of the nvidia driver, and rather in the compositing manager or window manager that you're using. Please test without Composite and with an official Debian kernel.

Thanks,
Lonni

It looks more like a black flash on the screen for a second. And this often keep repeating. Apart from this, I think its difficult to describe the issue in words :-(

I'll try the suggestions you've made but would be great if you can also comment on one of my other comments on Beryl

Thanks,
Ritesh

riteshsarraf 12-31-06 04:00 PM

And I just confirmed that the Application Window Blackening bug with TFP Mode is still there in nVIDIA Drivers version - 9746.

Thanks,
Ritesh

riteshsarraf 01-03-07 01:07 PM

I noticed that the issue only occurs when I do some heavy load generating activity.

In my case when I try to compile any program, I start seeing this issue. But just wondering why, given that I've got 2 GB of RAM on my machine.

Thanks,
Ritesh

netllama 01-03-07 01:24 PM

Is CPU frequency scaling disabled on your system? If not, please test whether the problem disapears by disabling it (either in the BIOS, or kernel).

Thanks,
Lonni

riteshsarraf 01-06-07 08:43 AM

I tried by disabling CPU scaling in the kernel but that didn't help.

But I think I was able to find more information. As per my previous comment, I think I'm wrong that gcc or any IO intensive load is the reason for the problem.

I noticed today, that this problem is reproducible, irrespective of the system load, as soon as a flash enabled site is opened.

I'm not sure how they could be interconnected but IMO flash rendering is causing this bug reproducible.

Thanks,
Ritesh

jadacyrus 01-07-07 05:49 PM

I also have a geforce go 7400 in my Asus VX-1 Laptop, and I am experiencing the same exact symptoms as you describe.