nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   6800 xt overclocked!!! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83399)

emaan 12-31-06 12:25 PM

6800 xt overclocked!!!

Hi

I have a geforce 6800xt 256mb DDR3 PCI E card ,n i have tried overclocking it using riva tuner. Im a total alien to this overclocking thing...so am very cautious not to burn the whole thing up.

I have the frequencies at 425mhz core clock/ 1175mhz memory clock. The default is at 350mhz/1000mhz. Im still using the stock cooling. The temperature of the gpu rises to about 71c after an hour of play. I have a 380 watt cooler master power supply.

Plz tell me, will this overclocking result in any harm to my card??? Will it affect its lifespan or cause any other trouble? Im not gonna increase the frequencies any further. Should i keep these settings or revert back to the default frequency??

And, i have intel 2.8mhz D processor...the dual core thing. Is it any better than the conventional intel processors of the same speed, game play wise???

Note: I havent seen any BIG improvement in the FPS after overclocking:(

Thanx.

Quick420 12-31-06 01:58 PM

Re: 6800 xt overclocked!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by emaan
Hi

I have a geforce 6800xt 256mb DDR3 PCI E card ,n i have tried overclocking it using riva tuner. Im a total alien to this overclocking thing...so am very cautious not to burn the whole thing up.

I have the frequencies at 425mhz core clock/ 1175mhz memory clock. The default is at 350mhz/1000mhz. Im still using the stock cooling. The temperature of the gpu rises to about 71c after an hour of play. I have a 380 watt cooler master power supply.

Plz tell me, will this overclocking result in any harm to my card??? Will it affect its lifespan or cause any other trouble? Im not gonna increase the frequencies any further. Should i keep these settings or revert back to the default frequency??

And, i have intel 2.8mhz D processor...the dual core thing. Is it any better than the conventional intel processors of the same speed, game play wise???

Note: I havent seen any BIG improvement in the FPS after overclocking:(

Thanx.

71c is a bit too warm,get an arctic cooler 5 and it will cool it significantly.You should be looking for max temps of roughly 60c or less under full load...meaning a couple hrs of BF2 or FEAR.(cheers)

Redeemed 12-31-06 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaxly24
71c is a bit too warm,get an arctic cooler 5 and it will cool it significantly.You should be looking for max temps of roughly 60c or less under full load...meaning a couple hrs of BF2 or FEAR.(cheers)

True. After puting the AC NVS5 on my 6800GT I got to 425/1.19 with a maximal temp (under extreme load) of about 55*C- and that was with an A64 2800 oc'd to 2.2GHz from 1.8. ;) That NVS5 really does work wonders.

emaan 01-01-07 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaxly24

Yeah, but the place where i live has room temperature at around 32 usually. Does that count? I guess may be that's why my card heats up quickly.

Quick420 01-01-07 09:58 AM

The ambient temp is high but a REAL heatsink and cooler is worth the 25$approx.It will lower temps trust us...DO IT !!!!! (mikec) (mikec) (mikec)

j0j081 01-02-07 01:00 PM

71 C isn't too warm though unless things have changed a lot with the PCIe version of the 6800. The 6800gts/ultras used to be stable up until the high 80s of course running it at such temps will most likely reduce the lifespan of the card but who knows by how much.

snowmanwithahat 01-03-07 12:24 AM

Yeh that doesn't seem too high... my 6800 GT used to hit 89C when overclocked to ultra speeds and it hit 84C while at stock speeds, that was all before I changed to the Zalman vf-700 though

XFX Support 01-04-07 05:01 PM

Your temps look good, especially for overclocking it as much as you have. I will agree however that usually cooler is better, but like many have stated so far, your temps look good.

XFX Support

Joe Public 01-06-07 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emaan

I had my 6800GT running at 405/1110 for nearly two years and it works fine still. (It's not in use though, got a new card). So unless you experience crashes, and it runs stable for a while it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:

And, i have intel 2.8GHz D processor...the dual core thing. Is it any better than the conventional intel processors of the same speed, game play wise???
It's better than its single core counterpart, at least in general Windows use, plus some applications and games that take advantage of both cores at the same time. A number of games today do just that, and in the future all of them will.