nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Console World (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax" (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83854)

AthlonXP1800 01-08-07 06:05 AM

Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
Microsoft switch to Blu-ray still possible for Xbox360 to replace DVD if HD-DVD format failed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/05/mi...o-blu-ray-sti/

Zeta 01-08-07 06:09 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
LOL! The article says it might be a slam on Sony?? That is a direct slam on Sony. He is saying he does not want to do what Sony is doing and charging customers $200 for what will become the next beta max. How could you read that and take it any other way?

Badboy_12345 01-08-07 06:28 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
:rolleyes: :lame: :ignored:

PeterJensen 01-08-07 06:36 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
useless...

dsessom 01-08-07 06:59 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
Blu-Ray is going to be the next Betamax - not HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray is too expensive, and the PS3 flopped in a big way pretty much leaving HD-DVD as the only viable HD format.

ENU291 01-08-07 07:08 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
Isn't this old news?!? Microsoft has said many times in the past that there is currently no clear winner in the HD media war and that forcing an unproven proprietary format onto consumers was NOT what they wanted to do.

superklye 01-08-07 07:32 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
:rolleyes2

It wasn't a jab at HD DVD, it was a veiled jab at Sony and their idiotic idea to force a subpar media format on everyone who buys their product. When BD fails, everyone is going to be stuck with a useless movie player whereas IF HD DVD was somehow to fail, you're not stuck with an over-priced game system/movie player because MS isn't forcing anyone to buy the HD DVD drive.

Tygerwoody 01-08-07 07:59 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
/still thinks Blu-Ray will be the "winner"
//yes I know it is worse in every aspect
///yes I know that too
////yes and that
/////still thinks Blu-Ray will be the "winner"

ViN86 01-08-07 09:49 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
i like the fact that Microsoft actually thinks about consumers and realizes they dont want to pay $200 for something that could end up worthless. nice to see they actually realize that price does play a role in a consumer's purchase, unlike Sony :|

AthlonXP1800 01-08-07 10:01 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsessom
Blu-Ray is going to be the next Betamax - not HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray is too expensive, and the PS3 flopped in a big way pretty much leaving HD-DVD as the only viable HD format.

Well I thought you knew better as you were born long time before the day of Betamax and VHS.

VHS actually was too expensive at 799 ($1,546.90) for top models in 1985 while all retailers in my town removed Betamax tapes from shelves and sold all Betamax recorders at big discounts as little as 150 ($290) all gone in a few days after Betamax reteated and then Betamax vanished from the face of UK in 1988 after Sony admitted defeated and backed VHS 100%.

PS3 is not flopped, it had very successful launch and about 2 months to the last day of 2006, Sony shipped 1.01 million PS3s worldwide excepted Europe.

It seemed that the consumers now know what format they want, now expensive Blu-ray players catch up and they are outsell cheap HD-DVD players. It expensive VHS vs cheap Betamax deja vu all over again.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm

superklye 01-08-07 10:17 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Well I thought you knew better as you were born long time before the day of Betamax and VHS.

VHS actually was too expensive at 799 ($1,546.90) for top models in 1985 while all retailers in my town removed Betamax tapes from shelves and sold all Betamax recorders at big discounts as little as 150 ($290) all gone in a few days after Betamax reteated and then Betamax vanished from the face of UK in 1988 after Sony admitted defeated and backed VHS 100%.

PS3 is not flopped, it had very successful launch and about 2 months to the last day of 2006, Sony shipped 1.01 million PS3s worldwide excepted Europe.

It seemed that the consumers now know what format they want, now expensive Blu-ray players catch up and they are outsell cheap HD-DVD players. It expensive VHS vs cheap Betamax deja vu all over again.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm

Price isn't what matters...it's the company backing it, trying to force it down our throats that DOES matter. ;)

|MaguS| 01-08-07 10:22 AM

Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Price isn't what matters...it's the company backing it, trying to force it down our throats that DOES matter. ;)

Too bad that majority of the consumers don't care about brand...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.