nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hey chaps,help me bust my rig :) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83920)

neWb 01-09-07 04:25 AM

Hey chaps,help me bust my rig :)

Not really :)

Conroe E6600 2.4GHZ,two 7900gs sli,asus P5N32-SLI Premium board,2 gig ram,96.89 forceware drivers.Phoenix Award bios v6.00pgxp/vista dual boot.

I haveprime95,cpuz and coretemp and a few weeks on hand to get this baby smoking.What is need a precise guide to the bios and what to adjust for this setup,i have found a stack of articles but nothing in depth and really user friendly that i can apply.

Is there a step by step article that specifically would apply for my rig or the seperate parts like an E6600 guide,7900gs guide etc. I am not totally pc illiterate but aware that if not done in increments and watching the heat..things will break :D

At this stage i have looked at the bios and the three programs but not adjusted anything.

I have a benchmark i can use for the tests and positively see what gains i can get (IL2 sturmovik series latest edition 1946) which is a fairly big frame rate eater.

SlieTheSecond 01-09-07 01:48 PM

Re: Hey chaps,help me bust my rig :)

Are you looking to overclock, or just optimize?

stevemedes 01-09-07 05:50 PM

overclocking might not be so easy on that motherboard.

neWb 01-09-07 09:05 PM

optimize may be the best way to put it :)

i read a few reviews that the bios shipped with the board was not very good but that the later version was a lot better,so i have the latest version from asus which is 0603 and the flash exe but then when i started reading up on that i need a floppy drive..which i dont have lol.So i am a bit stuck there as well.

Also the E6600,can i not get out to say 2.8ghz and still be sweet?which would give me better gaming performance(the ability to pump AA and AF etc) while still retaining good frames?

SlieTheSecond 01-09-07 09:16 PM

The E6600 can do a lot more than 2.8ghz. If you have the right parts to go with it (motherboard,ram,psu,cooling).

Does your motherboard not come with a cd with a bios flashing program?

I know my last few asus boards did, and I just flashed from windows. I've heard of some people saying they will only flash with a floppy. But I haven't owned a floppy drive for 5 years. And I've never ran into a problem doing it from windows.

lee63 01-09-07 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemedes
overclocking might not be so easy on that motherboard.

Tell me about it (lee63) I fried one of those boards :thumbdwn:

stevemedes 01-09-07 11:34 PM

Nvidia's been having a rough time getting a good SLI chipset for Intel CPU's. Let's hope they can iron out the rest of the problems with the 680i :)
650i is showing promise though as well. Thank god the 8800 is out, SLI isn't necessary for me anymore. 1 GTX is all I'll need :)

neWb 01-10-07 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlieTheSecond
The E6600 can do a lot more than 2.8ghz. If you have the right parts to go with it (motherboard,ram,psu,cooling).

Does your motherboard not come with a cd with a bios flashing program?

I know my last few asus boards did, and I just flashed from windows. I've heard of some people saying they will only flash with a floppy. But I haven't owned a floppy drive for 5 years. And I've never ran into a problem doing it from windows.

I will go through all of my stuff and see,i have never flashed a bios before so it is unknown territory for me :)

PSU is an SP 550w ATX dual
Cards are expert vision 256 meg
PQi DDR2 SDRAM
Memory timings are 4 4 4 12 (cl rcd rp as) if that helps

also have two extra fans on a siewinder box.

ok found my manual and the cd so off to do the bios update :|

neWb 01-10-07 04:36 AM

bios updated :D tried to update via the windows/asus update but the server was constantly busy so saved the old bios to my flash drive and saved the latest bios as well,rebooted and entered the asus ez flash utility and updated ,all seemed fairly smooth and easy.

Now,where can i go from here,onto playing with the e6600's?

Eliminator 01-10-07 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemedes
Nvidia's been having a rough time getting a good SLI chipset for Intel CPU's. Let's hope they can iron out the rest of the problems with the 680i :)
650i is showing promise though as well. Thank god the 8800 is out, SLI isn't necessary for me anymore. 1 GTX is all I'll need :)

1 GTX but for how long? a few months until new poorly optimized games come out

neWb 01-10-07 08:21 PM

is there a guide like this for my board http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/...erclocking.pdf i searched but could not find anything,also is nTune a good tool to do the job?

SlieTheSecond 01-10-07 08:35 PM

So you do want to overclock?

Well if you look two threads down from this thread in the same forum
"very very good OCing guide for C2D's"
try starting there.