nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Software Development (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Projects you're working on (work-related or otherwise) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84087)

superklye 01-11-07 11:20 PM

Projects you're working on (work-related or otherwise)

I haven't really had anything to do at work lately because the stuff they give me a third grader could do (yet other people there are simply amazed when I get it done), so I've heard wind of a project I may have to undertake.

Basically, it's an educational tool for agents to teach them about Health Savings Accounts to better sell them to customers.

It's going to have a number of "modules" or "pieces" which have PDFs, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations attached to them along with an Flash video file and requisite descriptive information.

Not too bad right? Just code a little ASP.NET to interact with a "database" XML file of all the available material and bada bing, dynamic mini-site.

Wrong.

I have no access to server technology. This entire thing has to be client-side and dynamic.

So I coded up a layout yesterday and started the XSLT and finished all that today. In fact, the entire thing is working except for the FLV player since I can't figure out how to dynamically pass a variable to the embedded Flash code. I can hardcode it, but then I have to make a page for each module/piece and that defeats the entire purpose.

It's so frustrating to be so close and to actually have the entire thing working except for this one part.

I'm pretty pleased with myself...and I learned a HELL of a lot more about XML/XSLT architecture in the process. :D

What are you working on?

ViN86 01-12-07 10:25 AM

Re: Projects you're working on (work-related or otherwise)

im designing an archival system in ASP.NET for the place i work.

its pretty simple, allowing users to login, upload and download multiple files. i also have permissions set so that users can only access their company's files and administrators and operators can access all files. it logs all activity and manages the files itself, preventing users from ****ing the directories/hierarchy up.

i wrote the whole thing and its in beta atm, still needs to be tested thoroughly :o
i already know some bugs that will/do exist. all i can say is that 3 weeks ago i knew nothing about ASP.NET and thx to MS's visual web developer studio express (freely available) i built this sweet page. the company should pay me a couple thousand cause they would have sent this out to be written by some company otherwise and would have spent that much anyway. oh well :|

at home, i plan to begin working with XNA and learning how to develop games for the PC
im also working on a simple VB application to rename multiple files, in which you can designate the increment (letter, numbers, special characters, etc.) and the base file name (image001, image002, etc.). need it to organize my pr0n collection :bleh:

superklye 01-12-07 10:44 AM

I've started playing with the VS.NET 2005 Express Web Developer a lot, too. It's really nice (and really robust, considering it's free). I'm really digging ASP.NET because it's so powerful and so damned easy.

I'm working on a content management system in PHP and want to mirror it in ASP.NET in hopes to be able to sell it at some point.

I've just been really lazy about it lately. :)

ViN86 01-12-07 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
I've started playing with the VS.NET 2005 Express Web Developer a lot, too. It's really nice (and really robust, considering it's free). I'm really digging ASP.NET because it's so powerful and so damned easy.

I'm working on a content management system in PHP and want to mirror it in ASP.NET in hopes to be able to sell it at some point.

I've just been really lazy about it lately. :)

ill do some asp.net coding for you if you want, let me know. easy stuff and theres a lot of help online, i like it :)

this project taught me all about file/directory manipulation using VB and asp.net, heh.

superklye 01-12-07 11:05 AM

hehe, thanks...I don't need help (other than help to get me motivated to do coding in my free time), but I appreciate the offer. :)

DaveW 01-12-07 11:43 AM

Right now I'm hacking this CMS called Vignette to make up for what their sales guys told the client it can do before they spent gazillions of dollars on it, and what we found out afterwards it is actually capable of. I'm having to deal with people who barely speak English. Its not fun.

Over the weekends I am working for this guy on a photo sharing site. He has me redo the same pages over and over again. Thats getting old too. Its easy work so I don't really care as long as he pays me.

During my last job I usually had nothing to do, I worked on their eCommerce site most of the time. We once rewrote it from ASP to ASP.NET within a week under the guise of a simple patch. Our PM flipped after he found out, but that was several months after the fact. Had we gone through official channels the rewrite would never have been approved, because nothing that sounded complicated ever was.

I had a few pet projects of my own there too which I've been meaning to get back to but never did:

A web-based fractal landscape generator.

A secure pr0n viewer with a Blowfish encrypted library.

A shape/character recognition artificial neural network - that was a fun learning experience even though it had no practical uses.

A two-step proxy that allowed us to surf the web from work without showing up on the Surf Control logs.

hirantha 01-12-07 12:40 PM

So ASP.net is for web page creating?
What’s the .net framework? Is it the same thing and do you need to have prior knowledge to use it?

superklye 01-12-07 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirantha
What’s the .net framework? Is it the same thing and do you need to have prior knowledge to use it?

.NET is a unified architecture that has a number of libraries and such that all .NET languages share.

Any .NET language can communicate with any other .NET language. It's not uncommon to have Visual Basic .NET or C# .NET-driven ASP.NET pages.

DaveW 01-12-07 03:31 PM

To add to Superklye's explaination a bit...

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

What’s the .net framework?
Its a class library and a common language runtime. Its like Java, except it doesn't suck. With it you can write Windows apps, Web apps (ASP.NET), command line apps, web services and windows services.

Quote:

Is it the same thing and do you need to have prior knowledge to use it?
You will need to know some of the .NET framework to understand ASP.NET. But you can learn both at the same time. To make an ASP.NET app you will only need to understand a small part of the .NET framework.

hirantha 01-12-07 06:04 PM

wow you guys sure know what you all talking about.. thanx for the info guys i will do some googling and and try to learn some .net :)

ViN86 01-13-07 04:23 PM

Quote:

wow you guys sure know what you all talking about.. thanx for the info guys i will do some googling and and try to learn some .net :)

use this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

this works wonders when learning asp.net and how to make web pages. plus, there are a bunch of video tutorials online. i knew nothing about asp.net, and within 3 weeks i built the webpage i described up above. the guy i work with was amazed, cause like Dave said, everything that sounds complicated, really isnt :)

wnd 01-18-07 04:37 PM

Depends on definition. Lately I've been working on a Perl-script to fetch internet comics apt-get style (Perl), and IRC-bot that harvests for links and its html-counterpart (Perl/PostgreSQL). I've also been working on yet another VoIP thing (C) with my friend, and my never-finished IRC bouncer that's in dire need of complete rewrite (C). More info and links available at my "projects" page.

At work? "We have provided software development services for Nokia", including Nokia 770. That's not all of it, but I'm not supposed to tell anything else about it.