nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Best Buy and the HD wars (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84240)

superklye 01-14-07 09:40 AM

Best Buy and the HD wars

After looking through the ad for three weeks now, they're switching weeks. Two weeks ago had a 1/2 page ad for the Samsung BD player for $800 and it came with 2 free BD movies.

Last week, it was the HD-A2 and two free HD DVDs.

Today, it's the Sony player for $1000.

What REALLY makes me mad, though, is that they have a smallish list (7 titles) of BD movies that are buy 1, get 1. They haven't done anything like that for HD DVD yet. :mad:

lee63 01-14-07 09:47 AM

Re: Best Buy and the HD wars

I think I'm gonna get the LG combo thingy :) and be done with it lol (lee63)

nekrosoft13 01-14-07 04:31 PM

that combo drive is a POS

Quote:

LGs combo HD DVD/Blu-ray player could very well be the killer blow for HD DVD. What's that you say? Well, the combo player fully supports Blu-ray's interactivity, BD-J, but the BH100 seems to have forgotten all about HD DVD's interactive features, iHD. That's right, none of it - no PIP, next-gen menus, user bookmarks, HD DVD downloads/updates - nothing that will "WOW" the average Joe. However, when our friend Joe pops in a Blu-ray disc, the menu pops with excitement and is accompanied with, well, PIP, downloads/updates for instance. Why would Joe buy an HD DVD the next time out when the Blu-ray discs offer so much more? (He won't) Is this player the saving grace for both formats, nope, but it may well turn out to be the saving grace for Blu-ray. Plus, with the $1200 MSRP,

Bman212121 01-14-07 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee63
I think I'm gonna get the LG combo thingy :) and be done with it lol (lee63)

QFT. If I were to purchase something for our living room, that would be the way to go. Right now since I have a PS3 anyway, it just makes the most sense to not have to spend any extra. The combo drive would be great so that I could play the movies that I get for PS3, but I can also try out HD-DVD titles. I think it will be really interesting to see a combo disc in a combo player. You have 2 different verisons to choose from.

nekrosoft13 01-14-07 04:36 PM

Quote:

Just when every patient, fence-sitting individual finally rejoiced that a single unit was being introduced to solve the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray dilemma, we had a hunch things wouldn't be perfectly peachy. Sure enough, the BH100's dirty little secret could keep the machine a secret altogether, as it reportedly won't be able to claim HD DVD-compliance (and consequently, hit shelves at all) without support for HDi. Playing a bit of favorites, the player provides the goods to show off those BD-J extras just fine, but users hoping to experience the lovely bonuses requiring HDi would be sorely disappointed. According to BetaNews, the player cannot receive the necessary thumbs-up from the DVD Forum with such a void in its makeup, and even suggested a very dark, unwanted result could end up happening, you know, like the BH100 getting the axe. Nevertheless, we certainly hope LG gets on the ball and throws in the (scarcely used thus far) HDi support, or else we could be facing yet another reversed decision in the combo player arena.
most likelly you can forget about your combo drive

Bman212121 01-14-07 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
that combo drive is a POS

LGs combo HD DVD/Blu-ray player could very well be the killer blow for HD DVD. What's that you say? Well, the combo player fully supports Blu-ray's interactivity, BD-J, but the BH100 seems to have forgotten all about HD DVD's interactive features, iHD. That's right, none of it - no PIP, next-gen menus, user bookmarks, HD DVD downloads/updates - nothing that will "WOW" the average Joe. However, when our friend Joe pops in a Blu-ray disc, the menu pops with excitement and is accompanied with, well, PIP, downloads/updates for instance. Why would Joe buy an HD DVD the next time out when the Blu-ray discs offer so much more? (He won't) Is this player the saving grace for both formats, nope, but it may well turn out to be the saving grace for Blu-ray. Plus, with the $1200 MSRP,

Does it really matter? I used to love dvd's because they didn't have any intros to fast forward through, you could just get right to the movie. I'd buy whatever format allows you to instantely play the movie, instead of having to skip through a bunch of previews, and be forced to watch certain screens.

nekrosoft13 01-14-07 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121
Does it really matter? I used to love dvd's because they didn't have any intros to fast forward through, you could just get right to the movie. I'd buy whatever format allows you to instantely play the movie, instead of having to skip through a bunch of previews, and be forced to watch certain screens.

yes it does matter, because DVD Forum will not allot LG to release a drive that hindgers HD-DVD

betterdan 01-14-07 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121

The HDI features are not forced preview trailers they are picture in picture features and other things.
Also how would getting one of these make the most sense to not spend any extra if you already have a PS3? Wouldn't it save you money if instead you got a stand alone HD DVD player for $500 or so? That alone would save you about $700 and you would then have a PS3 for Blu ray playback and a Toshiba HD DVD stand alone player for HD DVDs.