nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Whats a decent low cost upscaling DVD player? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84370)

Zeta 01-16-07 01:19 AM

Whats a decent low cost upscaling DVD player?

Can anyone recommend a good low cost upscaling DVD player that will play burned DVD's? I am running a 40" Samsung 720P LCD.

I am not looking for anything high end I just don't have the $$ after the holidays to spend much.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

betterdan 01-16-07 06:38 AM

Re: Whats a decent low cost upscaling DVD player?

I have the Sony Sony DVP-NS75H. It's a damn good upconverting player and it's on sale now at Circuit City for $119.99.

evilchris 01-16-07 11:40 AM

Oppo or Toshiba A2. You need to define low cost. People have different opinions. I consider a $2000 TV low cost.

FastRedPonyCar 01-16-07 01:57 PM

My dad has one of these. Pretty nice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134702980301

agentkay 01-16-07 04:35 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack, but does an upscaling DVD player improve the picture quality of regular DVDs on a regular HDTV (720p/1080i)? My current DVD player has only a 578i output (component) and I wonder if I would see a better quality of my regular DVDs with an upscaling DVD player like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Sorry again for the thread hijack.

Zeta 01-16-07 07:20 PM

Around a $100 would be fine. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

betterdan 01-16-07 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkay
Sorry for the thread hijack, but does an upscaling DVD player improve the picture quality of regular DVDs on a regular HDTV (720p/1080i)? My current DVD player has only a 578i output (component) and I wonder if I would see a better quality of my regular DVDs with an upscaling DVD player like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Well I bought our new Mitsubishi HDTV and had the previously mentioned Sony dvd player hooked up via component and it looked pretty damn good. I then went and got an HDMI cable and hooked it up with that and I noticed a definate difference. It just looked a lot sharper.
Now the bs people talk about upconverting players looking as good as HD is just that, BS, but if you want regular dvds to look better on an HDTV then upconverting is worthwhile in my opinion.

agentkay 01-17-07 03:58 AM

^ Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

FastRedPonyCar 01-17-07 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkay

Yeah I'll also echo what betterdan said. When I swaped my dad's old sony component video dvd player with the samsung one with the HDMI cable, the picture was noticably sharper and crisper. I'm not sure exactly how they work but it appeared to me like it sent the dvd signal to the TV at a higher resolution.

We did A/B comparisons with several movies (finding nemo, cars, episode 3) and looking closely at the screen, we noticed an increase in the clarity and sharpness of the images on screen.

Very much worth the upgrade..even though the HDMI cable he bought cost more than the dvd player :p

|JuiceZ| 01-17-07 10:02 AM

Good info thanks guys :thumbsup:

Ancient 01-17-07 12:11 PM

There's a reason that up-converting DVDs look better over HDMI than component. It's because, legally, DVD players cannot up-convert CSS encrypted DVDs (which is just about any retail DVD you buy) over component. It's only allowed over DVI/HDMI. The only way you'll see up-conversion over component is if the DVD is made from a home movie or contains other non-CSS content.

Basically, if your TV doesn't have DVI or HDMI inputs, don't waste your money on an up-converting DVD player.

Zeta 01-17-07 06:46 PM

The Sony is on sale right now at BB for $116 so I will just pick up this one. It looks like it has everything I wanted. Thanks again for the suggestion!

So I need to get an HDMI cable for it for the best picture?? It will not upconvert on a componet hookup? I though you could do 720P over componet. Do I have this wrong?