nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   beryl black windows bug (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84562)

legluondunet 01-18-07 02:26 PM

beryl black windows bug

Hello,

someone of Nvidia could tell me "the work of progress" of the "beryl black windows bug", it's a very annoying bug. Could we expect to forget it in the next driver version?

LGDN.

config:
Debian 4.0, Xorg Release 7.1.1, beryl 0.1.5svn (2726), nVidia GeforceFX 5900XT with drivers 1.0-9646, resolution:1650x1080

SaguratuS 01-18-07 02:58 PM

Re: beryl black windows bug

Would also like to see an update on this. At 1920x1080, I'm lucky to get 3 fullscreen windows open on a 7800GTX.

netllama 01-18-07 03:02 PM

Updates will be posted when available. There are no new updates at this time.

Thanks,
Lonni

ioannis 01-19-07 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legluondunet
config:
Debian 4.0, Xorg Release 7.1.1, beryl 0.1.5svn (2726), nVidia GeforceFX 5900XT with drivers 1.0-9646, resolution:1650x1080

is 1.0-9646 a new beta legacy driver? or did you mean 9746?

Xevious 01-19-07 10:31 PM

I switched over to XGL from AIGLX, runs better and no more black window bug.

ari.reads 02-03-07 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Updates will be posted when available. There are no new updates at this time.

Thanks,
Lonni

It's been MANY MONTHS since this bug was reported. Can you at least confirm if NVIDIA is doing anything at all about this problem?????

I guess a no-answer here would mean "No!!!!... go buy the competition's hardware, at least they have a working accelerated linux driver ....."

Thanks
Ministro Pistarini

fuliculipol 02-16-07 01:13 AM

I guess there's no need to yell at the guys who are actually working on it.

Apart from the black window problem, I feel like the performance are pretty bad.

With setting all the optimization stuff, the woobling for exemple is not as fluent as... My Radeon Mobility (!!!) 7500 (!!!!!!!!) configuration... With no proprietary drivers.

Anyway, nVidia used to be the most linux friendly.

All we can do is advise people around us not to buy nVidia anymore.:thumbdwn:

ktulu77 03-15-07 10:06 PM

please correct this bug. I can't use Beryl on my Linux, it is so sad :'( I am waiting for it for a long time

grey_1 03-15-07 10:29 PM

Hard to believe I'm seeing this bellyaching in the linux forum.

Beryl worked just fine on my SLI'd 7800GTs and it works just fine on my 8800gts.

fwiw, go to a competitors forum and find the same level of support. K?

EDIT: Not to mention beryl isn't Nvidias baby, how about chatting on their forums.

macemoneta 03-15-07 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
Hard to believe I'm seeing this bellyaching in the linux forum.

Beryl worked just fine on my SLI'd 7800GTs and it works just fine on my 8800gts.

fwiw, go to a competitors forum and find the same level of support. K?

EDIT: Not to mention beryl isn't Nvidias baby, how about chatting on their forums.

You have the bug, you probably just have more memory in your video card. It will take longer for you to experience the problem as a result, but you eventually will.

If you don't want bugs fixed, that's cool. However, sometimes people that pay for equipment have a level of expectation that is different from yours.

At the #1 video vendor, there are no such complaints. Intel's video works great with Beryl. Oh, and no driver needs to be installed by an end-user, since the code is part of X. If you find a bug, you can report it and track it, interacting with the developers directly. That lets you know that progress is being made, and lets the developers know that a given bug is important to the community.

Beryl isn't "Nvidia's baby", but the AIGLX implementation, which is broken, is. Fix it.

ktulu77 03-16-07 05:42 AM

yes, and if you search on this forum for this bug, you will see that the nvidia developpers know that this is an nvidia bug and they don't know when it will be fixed. Otherwise, they say that the actual beta driver (9755) does not resolve it.
I would like to know how many time I have to wait to have it works. I'm afraid because I remember how many time I had already waited for the blinking cursor bug (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ghlight=cursor something like 6 months)
I know Nvidia is doing a good work for linux and I really appreciate it. But it would be so nice if this bug could be fixed.
Thanks anyway.

almatic 03-17-07 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktulu77
yes, and if you search on this forum for this bug, you will see that the nvidia developpers know that this is an nvidia bug and they don't know when it will be fixed. Otherwise, they say that the actual beta driver (9755) does not resolve it.

hello,

can anyone confirm that the black windows bug still persists with the 9755 driver ?
I'm asking because I have beryl running with this driver for 16 hours now and stresstesting it. I had 40 fullsized konqueror windows open, have all effects activated, let it rain on my desktop and didn't get any black windows so far.

I'm now tempted to use this as default, as the overall performance under kde (like redrawing windows and so on) seems to be significantly better with beryl than without for me. It just has to be stable ...

I have a 8800gts with 640mb ram btw.