nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Do you stretch 4:3 sources to be 16:9? (redux) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84566)

superklye 01-18-07 03:17 PM

Do you stretch 4:3 sources to be 16:9? (redux)

I don’t and I don’t understand how people think that a stretched image that makes everyone on screen look twice as wide and all distorted is better than having black vertical bars.

When watching a widescreen DVD on a 4:3 TV, I don’t see these people zooming their DVD players so that the image gets cropped but fills the entire screen (though at least that isn’t distorting the picture), so why the reverse?

OWA 01-18-07 03:19 PM

Re: Do you stretch 4:3 sources to be 16:9? (redux)

No.

Monolyth 01-18-07 03:28 PM

That's what Pan & Scan versions are for, and P&S is different then the zoom, P&S is done by the studio to keep the 'important' content on the screen at any given scene, which does not mean that it's a simple process of 'zooming in' on the image as one would be led to believe.

Stretching it is just wrong though, honestly what noobsteak would do this? Can we take them out back and strangle them with my sock? Sheesh...

superklye 01-18-07 03:31 PM

It's like people think they aren't getting full usage out of their widescreen TV if everything isn't widescreen.

Stretching 4:3 not only DOES NOT make it HD, it makes the SD source look even worse being spread over a larger area of a different ratio.

Subtestube 01-18-07 03:37 PM

Never - I'd rather have black bars than a stretched image in all cases.

Tygerwoody 01-18-07 03:53 PM

Hell no. Never fails that 90% of Sports bars you go to do though. Drives me up a freaking wall. There are nice HDTV's all over the place, and its all stretched SD garbage. If they are going to display SD content, at least keep it in scale. I don't know why people think its "more impressive" to have all of the screen filled up when everyone looks like stretched peices of crap.

evilghost 01-18-07 04:00 PM

I do it and the wife likes it as well. Granted it certainly distorts the perspective but I don't mind it. We've got DirecTv so the picture already looks like butt because of their nice compression.

Sometimes I think I'm a anthropologist with all the artifacts I deal with when watching TV.

It's also a little easier on the eyes from a distance.

toxikneedle 01-18-07 04:31 PM

I do sometimes, but I don't watch SD content that often

Marvel_us 01-18-07 04:38 PM

My dad used to want it streched because he kept going on and on about he is wasting screen space but when I showed him the difference he kept it with the bars.

Why is it that most HD local or sports channels like ESPN use the bars? Can't they just use 16:9 for the HD channels and keep 4:3 for the SD ones?

J-Mag 01-18-07 05:02 PM

No option for zoom?

Stretch sucks but some TVs have decent zoom in modes where you loose a little top and bottom.

toxikneedle 01-18-07 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mag
No option for zoom?

Stretch sucks but some TVs have decent zoom in modes where you loose a little top and bottom.

Yeah, my TV's zoom is terrible... My parents have the 32'' Bravia LCD and it has awesome zoom features. Kinda sucks, makes me want to steal it from them.

evilchris 01-18-07 05:41 PM

OAR always.