nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   I've got a real quandry here; or when guildes begin to disintigrate from within (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84875)

Son Goku 01-23-07 01:20 PM

I've got a real quandry here; or when guildes begin to disintigrate from within

I'll leave names out of this; as quite frankly I don't want to make this all public. However, with some chars I have on Aman'Thul I had been in this guild since last August (the realm only opened up last July). In time, and with the original guild master wanting to try a raiding guild for a time; we had progressed under the former guild master, who has since joined up with an offshoot guild made of former Resilience members. Their goal was to create something, of limited numbers, for the new type of 25 man raides that Burning Crusade introduced. With them, several of the former class masters had gone; and all fair enough. They wanted to progress their characters and learn from people who knew more then themselves; something we would all like to do in progressing our own characters. Up to this point, we had already downed several bosses in ZG, started killing trash in MC, and downed the first boss in AQ 20.

The former GM, passed leadership over to an individual, who had come from another guild which was raiding, and as such the individual had experience raiding areas we hadn't gotten to yet. All makes sense, except for what has transpired. We're begininning to ravage from the inside, and things don't look that hopeful.

The very night, the new GM took over, he /gkicked all the alts of the former GM, and one of the older class masters did so with another former class master. This was prior to having stepped down from his position, stating that he wasn't leaving (several people began to leave), but he didn't want to do this anymore. The reason given was inactive characters; however this was not true as the former GM's char was on one of these alts the night before, and I know, because I among other individuals were speaking with them in guild chat.

Following this, we went on a raid, and though we did progress further in ZG, at certain points it devolved into a water fight, as the individual who became the mage class master was complaining that he had to make water, when for some unknown reason the other mage refused to; and all of the priests, locks, hunters, and other magic using classes were asking for some. In the middle of it, he stormed out mid raid and left us hanging one lock. One of the priests, who had to ask 20 times, was at that time (though real life issues have since pulled him from the game) the priest class master, and had been as such for quite a number of months, when he created the guild banks on his own account and took time outa his own life to operate it all.

Since all of this, people have been leaving left and right, including some classes we have in short supply such as priests and healers in general. Just the other night, I wasn't on vent to see what happened there; but from guild chat it turned out that the new GM decided to /gkick an individual, at which point his brother asked to leave, if they couldn't play together. Rationale, I have no idea.

Following this, some very long standing members were like "I hope you're joking" and he was like "no I'm not". All in all 30 people left following this, including at least one of the class masters I think (the new priest class master), 2 of the guilde's initial founders who signed the charter in the beginning (the second of which, had a comment about what's going on, the first and original GM, no comment at all).

As all this was happening, and we've now been left with only 2 priests for instance (where one of them is an alt, for someone who's main is in a heavy raiding guild; hence he can't be around much); this was not to be the end. One individual asked where things were going, and if there was reason to continue in the guild anymore; at which point the new GM /gkicked him. One of the class masters point blankely said "that's uncalled for, he was just asking". He also hinted that perhaps the time was comming for him to leave as well; if things don't begin to turn around for the better.

Since then, another long time member asked if the guild leadership had any answer as to what is going on, and where we're headed. All he got was "you're gonna leave too, so why does it matter?" with the new GM saying essentially "Leadership? :rofl I never asked for this to be put on my shoulders". Since then, more people who had been there any length of time has left; leaving virtually no names I even recognize anymore.

Quandry, there are 2 things I'd like to be able to do.

1. Whatever happens, I'd like to remain with a friend that I have there; and someone with whom we've played since October or so. Operative word is, if he goes, I go, and vice versa. Wherever we end up; we'd like to end up in the same guild.

2. I'd like to know that after I hit 70, there's going to be some place to go, and we'll have a shot at our tier 4 and stuff. With what's going on above, I'm not hopeful that the current guild will either be ready, or even able to function together as a group of any kind with the way things have been going.

My friend lives on the East coast (Pennsylvania), and I live in Mountain time (New Mexico). His words, I'd be up for anything, but it needs to be during a reasonable hour. Any suggestions, comments about who would be good for raides and stuff, and who could provide something we could both do?

winton 01-23-07 02:04 PM

Re: I've got a real quandry here; or when guildes begin to disintigrate from within

Depends if you consider yourself a casual player or hardcore. The two will never mix in guilds. Its like a rule of MMO's or something. Right now it seems with BC guild size need not to be 40+ so if you both do go to another guild I would try to find a small guild that can fit both your play times. As you pointed out your new guild leader seems like an asshole so why stick around in that guild. The main thing is to have fun in a game if you're not having fun I'd move on to another guild. For me I prefer the smaller guilds where everyone knows each other and have a good time talking on vent/ts etc. Don't think I helped much, but I love to increase my post count.

Monolyth 01-23-07 03:01 PM

Re: I've got a real quandry here; or when guildes begin to disintigrate from within

If you are looking for names of guilds on your server, I'm pretty sure it would be difficult for us to give you any considering that we all probably play on different servers. I'd suggest looking at your servers forums on the WoW website and asking around there to see if anything meets you and your friends criteria.

I think that smaller guilds (40 pre-BC, 25-BC) that are active together in both chit-chat and raiding are the guilds that stay together. Also keeping everyone involved is important, too often big guilds get into 'cliques' of players that eventually splinter from the big guild into their own. It's very hard to prevent, especially if you are as big as some *cough*Goon Squad*cough*. I'd say the new BC of 25 players is much more manageable then even a small guild of 40. It's very possible for someone to have 25 friends or extended friends, but 40 is getting difficult to both manage as a friend and as a guild member.

Unfortunately I'm in a stagnant guild at the moment. I am the highest level @ 66 (and I just started playing late Friday night hehe), but everyone seems more inclined to raid instances for gear that they will probably be replacing in the next couple of levels. Right now I just want to get to 70 and then go back and sit and enjoy raiding at the "Elite" level ;). While I know most of the people in the guild, I just don't spend any time with them in-game, which is unfortunate, but few are as hardcore questing as I am.

UDawg 01-23-07 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son Goku
I'll leave names out of this; as quite frankly I don't want to make this all public. However, with some chars I have on Aman'Thul I had been in this guild since last August (the realm only opened up last July). In time, and with the original guild master wanting to try a raiding guild for a time; we had progressed under the former guild master, who has since joined up with an offshoot guild made of former Resilience members. Their goal was to create something, of limited numbers, for the new type of 25 man raides that Burning Crusade introduced. With them, several of the former class masters had gone; and all fair enough. They wanted to progress their characters and learn from people who knew more then themselves; something we would all like to do in progressing our own characters. Up to this point, we had already downed several bosses in ZG, started killing trash in MC, and downed the first boss in AQ 20.

The former GM, passed leadership over to an individual, who had come from another guild which was raiding, and as such the individual had experience raiding areas we hadn't gotten to yet. All makes sense, except for what has transpired. We're begininning to ravage from the inside, and things don't look that hopeful.

The very night, the new GM took over, he /gkicked all the alts of the former GM, and one of the older class masters did so with another former class master. This was prior to having stepped down from his position, stating that he wasn't leaving (several people began to leave), but he didn't want to do this anymore. The reason given was inactive characters; however this was not true as the former GM's char was on one of these alts the night before, and I know, because I among other individuals were speaking with them in guild chat.

Following this, we went on a raid, and though we did progress further in ZG, at certain points it devolved into a water fight, as the individual who became the mage class master was complaining that he had to make water, when for some unknown reason the other mage refused to; and all of the priests, locks, hunters, and other magic using classes were asking for some. In the middle of it, he stormed out mid raid and left us hanging one lock. One of the priests, who had to ask 20 times, was at that time (though real life issues have since pulled him from the game) the priest class master, and had been as such for quite a number of months, when he created the guild banks on his own account and took time outa his own life to operate it all.

Since all of this, people have been leaving left and right, including some classes we have in short supply such as priests and healers in general. Just the other night, I wasn't on vent to see what happened there; but from guild chat it turned out that the new GM decided to /gkick an individual, at which point his brother asked to leave, if they couldn't play together. Rationale, I have no idea.

Following this, some very long standing members were like "I hope you're joking" and he was like "no I'm not". All in all 30 people left following this, including at least one of the class masters I think (the new priest class master), 2 of the guilde's initial founders who signed the charter in the beginning (the second of which, had a comment about what's going on, the first and original GM, no comment at all).

As all this was happening, and we've now been left with only 2 priests for instance (where one of them is an alt, for someone who's main is in a heavy raiding guild; hence he can't be around much); this was not to be the end. One individual asked where things were going, and if there was reason to continue in the guild anymore; at which point the new GM /gkicked him. One of the class masters point blankely said "that's uncalled for, he was just asking". He also hinted that perhaps the time was comming for him to leave as well; if things don't begin to turn around for the better.

Since then, another long time member asked if the guild leadership had any answer as to what is going on, and where we're headed. All he got was "you're gonna leave too, so why does it matter?" with the new GM saying essentially "Leadership? :rofl I never asked for this to be put on my shoulders". Since then, more people who had been there any length of time has left; leaving virtually no names I even recognize anymore.

Quandry, there are 2 things I'd like to be able to do.

1. Whatever happens, I'd like to remain with a friend that I have there; and someone with whom we've played since October or so. Operative word is, if he goes, I go, and vice versa. Wherever we end up; we'd like to end up in the same guild.

2. I'd like to know that after I hit 70, there's going to be some place to go, and we'll have a shot at our tier 4 and stuff. With what's going on above, I'm not hopeful that the current guild will either be ready, or even able to function together as a group of any kind with the way things have been going.

My friend lives on the East coast (Pennsylvania), and I live in Mountain time (New Mexico). His words, I'd be up for anything, but it needs to be during a reasonable hour. Any suggestions, comments about who would be good for raides and stuff, and who could provide something we could both do?

Leave. I hate that drama crap. You can allways get into another guild to raid if you are a normal person who doesn't ninja and guild jump for PHAT LEWTZ!

Son Goku 01-24-07 02:10 AM

OM-fricken Gawd... I can not believe how he rolled this. I was speaking with this friend of mine, as we were questing. I had also spoken with some other people. Anyhow, as this individual's last acts as guild master, he:

1. Spontantiously announced in guild info that flashed on everyone's screen that the vent server would no longer be supported.

Then after having fricken /gkicked anyone for daring to ask where the guild was headed (not an illegitimate question); till we're down to 68 actual characters, not necessarily players (and having lost some of our best players within their classes in the midst of all this), he:

2. Spontaniously announced that people don't like him, so he's stepping down and making me the guild master. He ran a great guild, that had progressed up to MC, might have gotten Hakkar in ZG one night, and the first boss in AQ 20; into the ground. Then when it's irrecably broken from what I can see; he dumps it all in my lap.

I have no idea what to do at this point, and unlike him who got a kick outa abusing his powers for the heck of it; actually do have a sense of responsibility; even if I never saught to have this dumped in my lap. I have no idea what to do now, and no idea what to tell people at the spur of the moment. People shoulda been given some answers weeks ago, rather then what they got :o

UDawg 01-24-07 12:30 PM

Your guild is busted. Tell them the truth. The former GM dumped the problem on your lap and you had no intention of fixing a broken guild. Then quit the guild or go and form a new one. Either way I would not stay under the same name.

Tygerwoody 01-24-07 01:20 PM

Udawg's guild = Orcish Scientology

Son Goku 01-24-07 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDawg
Your guild is busted. Tell them the truth. The former GM dumped the problem on your lap and you had no intention of fixing a broken guild. Then quit the guild or go and form a new one. Either way I would not stay under the same name.

Thanks, and your right. Prior to all of this; the guild had made a name for itself and more then a few thought we would be the next one's to make it. We had people from some of the top raiding guildes such as Noctas Erus, Dynasy, and others who were joining us on some raides (such as the first time we stepped foot in MC, as well as when we were beginning to tackle some new bosses in ZG), to show us the ropes and all. We had several people who were accepted outright to join KAOS, which isn't an easy to get into guild, of former Resilience members, formed for Outland content. But now, I can't help but to think our reputation has been utterly ruined, especially as word has no doubt gotten out, with the increasing number of individuals who have left.

The funny thing is, I was discussing things with my friend, and had commented that if we didn't find one which would raid when he could get on (he lives in the East Coat US, and this is an Australian realm), we could always make one. With the increasing number of transfers... But as he said, he doesn't have that sorta time now, I'm looking for a job and don't know what my time will be; and realistically I couldn't take the whole responsibility upon myself without people I could trust to provide the necessary support. Nor would I want to place myself on the spot, without people I know, and could trust (especially with the delegation of power) beside me to help in carrying out such functions as a GM. And that's not withstanding, having only been lvl 60 since last October/November, and the guild itself having only been raiding so long; I simply don't have the experience to help lead a group, without a fair bit of experience and learning on my own part.

In any case, I rather reluctantly at first (not wanting to be one to dump the problems in someone's lap, but also not wanting to disband if it might hinder some people's chances in getting recruited to another guild, being guildless); passed it onto a friend of a long time member of the guild.

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp...opicID=4248833

The person created their character and started again, and is level 8. Hopefully he'll have time to build something anew, before he comes to raiding level himself. I guess all that remains, is when my friend gets back on; giving him the fill in of what the previous GM had done (right after he had gone to bed mind you), and then for the both of us to try and pick up from where it all left.

UDawg 01-24-07 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Udawg's guild = Orcish Scientology

Damh skippy!

I have started a number of guilds for just me an my buddies.
I started

Peewees Playhouse (from the show)
Better off Dead (from the movie)
Naga stole my Virginity (LOL! lasted one day then admins blew it up)
Bovine Nation (we were all taurens)
Poo Flinging Simiens (it was blown up also)
and the always popular Farmers Local ThirtyFive (a tribue to the gold farmers and the union we tried to organize for them. loL)

Son Goku 01-24-07 06:18 PM

No

Blood Elf Play Thing

? :D Seriously though, when our main realm was down for 36 hours, I among others created chars on Gnomer. And not wanting to do the same quests again, we made horde. Someone created a guild like Mad Cows or something, and ran around going Moo :D That fell along the side who made a Tauren "BeefEater". Only problem with that is it was formed along side "My Server is Down"; so obviously never picked up.