nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dual Monitor Setup with differant workspaces (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85054)

altezza2k2 01-25-07 10:42 PM

Dual Monitor Setup with differant workspaces

Im getting the feeling this is impossible from the stuff ive read. I have 2 monitors, one @ 1920x1200 and another at 1024x768 (for weather widgets and conky and stuff) what ide like is to have the 2 monitors on 2 seperate workspaces so that i can right click on windows and click send to workspace 2 (which would be my other monitor).

ive gotten the twinview and 2 seperate x windows setups working however, neither provides this functionality.

pe1chl 01-26-07 03:00 AM

Re: Dual Monitor Setup with differant workspaces

Quote:

Originally Posted by altezza2k2
to have the 2 monitors on 2 seperate workspaces so that i can right click on windows and click send to workspace 2

Did you ever see this in another configuration? it is quite unusual to have this in X, because two different X monitors have two different connection points and it is not so easy to move windows from one to the other.

(there are tricks to do it but they always involve intermediate layers like proxies, and are intended to move windows to other systems)

You can have one large workspace by using xinerama or twinview, but you would have to drag the windows.

altezza2k2 01-26-07 10:03 AM

i wouldnt mind having 1 large view, however, when i do this, i either have to loose a part of the screen on the smaller monitor or use a virtual screen that doesnt allow me to see the entire thing at once. is there a way to setup twinview so it behaves like windows? in other words, have a deadzone where the mouse cant go on the smaller monitor?

turboned 01-28-07 12:26 AM

Yes, it would be fantastic to have a way in Linux to make the deadzone truly inactive. I run two monitors (1600x1200 & 1280x1024). On Windows, it prevents the mouse from going to the region (1600, 1024) (2879, 1199). Applications could technically go into that region, but since you can't get the mouse cursor down there, you can't put an entire application titlebar in that region.

Somehow though, I expect this is something that has to be addressed within X, not by nVidia's drivers though.

pe1chl 01-28-07 03:43 AM

When you define two separate X displays (Appendix P) you get that behaviour.
When I move the mouse to the right from the bottom right corner of my first screen, it appears at the bottom of the second. When I move it back left it enters the first screen at some distance from the bottom.