nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vista Application Compatibility Thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85188)

Blacklash 01-28-07 01:56 AM

Vista Application Compatibility Thread

Hey guys,

Thought some of you early adopters might want to share info here. If you find a game or application you like that simply won't run on Vista list it here.

For example; Baldur's Gate II- Vista x64- Will not run. It might be good to note games and other applications that will run yet have buggy poor performance.

$n][pErMan 01-28-07 02:16 AM

Re: Vista Application Compatibility Thread

I am curious if I will able to just insert the Vista CD and install it as a duel boot with my current XP Pro OS. I have a spare Hard drive I could slap in.. but id still like to use XP Pro as my main OS and just play with Vista untill its worth fully using.

AthlonXP1800 01-28-07 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $n][pErMan
I am curious if I will able to just insert the Vista CD and install it as a duel boot with my current XP Pro OS. I have a spare Hard drive I could slap in.. but id still like to use XP Pro as my main OS and just play with Vista untill its worth fully using.

Yes you can install Vista as a dual boot with XP on another partition or hard drive.

$n][pErMan 01-28-07 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Yes you can install Vista as a dual boot with XP on another partition or hard drive.

Nice.. its been a long time sence I have last done a duel boot. Things have changed a lot sense then too. With SATA II raid controllers, when i set this duel boot up, do I want the SATA the motherboard boots too to be the XP Pro Hard Drive or do I want to set my spare drive as the bootable drive and install Vista there? Or do I leave things as they are now and leave the XP Pro drive the bootable and somewhere in the vista install set the path to be my spare drive?

*that was a mouthfull.... lol* :)

LycosV 01-28-07 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $n][pErMan
Nice.. its been a long time sence I have last done a duel boot. Things have changed a lot sense then too. With SATA II raid controllers, when i set this duel boot up, do I want the SATA the motherboard boots too to be the XP Pro Hard Drive or do I want to set my spare drive as the bootable drive and install Vista there? Or do I leave things as they are now and leave the XP Pro drive the bootable and somewhere in the vista install set the path to be my spare drive?

*that was a mouthfull.... lol* :)

It all depends on what you want to be your primary OS. The most important thing about dual booting Vista & XP is you MUST install XP first. If you install Vista then XP it will screw the bootsectors out the wazoo.

$n][pErMan 01-28-07 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LycosV
It all depends on what you want to be your primary OS. The most important thing about dual booting Vista & XP is you MUST install XP first. If you install Vista then XP it will screw the bootsectors out the wazoo.

XP Pro will be the primary OS... its already installed (i've been using it for years). I would like to be able to install Vista on one of my other hard drives so I can boot to it now and then to try it out but want to keep my XP intact for all my gaming. :)

johnkeel105 01-28-07 09:08 PM

Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam have issues with the crosshairs not appearing and menus being slightly borked. I think its driver related but I am not sure. My clan primarly plays Forgotten Hope for 1942 and I wish I could get it to work on vista. Lucky I kept my partition of xp heh.

NoWayDude 01-30-07 11:14 AM

Having problems with firefox. D/L, open program, runs ok. Close Firefox. Try to open again, keeps giving message "Program needs to finish previous instalation" or something like this
reboot PC. Problems still persists.
Using Opera at the moment.

nekrosoft13 01-30-07 11:35 AM

issues in vista with 100.54 driver + 8800

Scarface = entire game is corrupt (textures/models missing)
Gothic III = entire game is corrupt, driver crashed and recovery, leaves black screen
NFS Most Wanted = game crash, driver recovery in menu
R6 Las Vegas = after few minutes of play, weird horizontal lines and boxes show up flashing and moving on the screen. Same problems happens in Windows Desktop after quiting the game
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory = won't launch because of unsupported OS
Deus Ex IW = game freeze, with error screen
FEAR = runs extremely slow, about 15fps
Simcity 4 = unplayable, my guess is that the problem is caused by directx7 emulation
Neverwinter Nights = game also runs very slow
Neverwinter Nights 2 = game runs over 50% slower then on XP
Call of Juarez = game launches fine, but no keyboard or mouse support
Black and White 2 = after few minutes everything starts to be blurry
Hitman Bloodlines = no AA, micro stutter very often, even at high FPS
Sid Meier Railrods = very low FPS (10-19 FPS on 8800GTX)
Sid Meier Pirates! = very low FPS

No Issues runs great
UT 2004 (just the micro stutter)
GT Legends
GTR2
Test Drive Unlimited (slightly slower)
Company of Heroes
Tomb Raider Legends (just slower)
Guild Wars
NFS Carbon (works after hotfix that released yesterday, no windows 98 compability required, still allot slower then XP)

will report back with more later

caldas 01-30-07 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
issues in vista with 100.54 driver + 8800

Scarface = entire game is corrupt (textures/models missing)
Gothic III = entire game is corrupt, driver crashed and recovery, leaves black screen
NFS Most Wanted = game crash, driver recovery in menu
R6 Las Vegas = after few minutes of play, weird horizontal lines and boxes show up flashing and moving on the screen. Same problems happens in Windows Desktop after quiting the game
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory = won't launch because of unsupported OS
Deus Ex IW = game freeze, with error screen
FEAR = runs extremely slow, about 15fps
Simcity 4 = unplayable, my guess is that the problem is caused by directx7 emulation
Neverwinter Nights = game also runs very slow
Neverwinter Nights 2 = game runs over 50% slower then on XP
Call of Juarez = game launches fine, but no keyboard or mouse support
Black and White 2 = after few minutes everything starts to be blurry
Hitman Bloodlines = no AA, micro stutter very often, even at high FPS
Sid Meier Railrods = very low FPS (10-19 FPS on 8800GTX)
Sid Meier Pirates! = very low FPS

No Issues runs great
UT 2004 (just the micro stutter)
GT Legends
GTR2
Test Drive Unlimited (slightly slower)
Company of Heroes
Tomb Raider Legends (just slower)
Guild Wars
NFS Carbon (works after hotfix that released yesterday, no windows 98 compability required, still allot slower then XP)

will report back with more later

Arg!!!
:(
someone know about official Driver (no beta) of Nvidia? When will out?

ciaspook 01-30-07 01:10 PM

No splinter cell CT and R6 LV means WinXP x64 for me a while more. To bad :(

Demanufakture 01-30-07 01:16 PM

Just seems like more and more reasons to add to my list for not buying Vista any time soon. Backwards compatibility in Vista when it comes to games seems horrible and it's not just because of Nvidia beta drivers. Saying that Vista is better for games is misleading. It will be better for games that are designed for Vista and that seems like about it. Also the fact that I would have to get rid of my beloved Audigy 2 and swap it for an expensive X-FI just to even be able to use EAX which almost every game I have supports is just lame. Seems like Microsoft wants to kill Creatives' dominance of the sound card market and diminish support amongst developers to use EAX. Windows Vista is the biggest excuse to get people to buy new pc parts the pc industry has ever done. Consider this, Vista requires powerful hardware to run. That hardware requires more juice to run. As more and more people start to use Vista, power consumption around the world will go up. Thus, pollution would increase globally because of the increased required output to power all these Vista computers. No thanks Microsoft, I'll stick with an OS that is not broken and isn't so advanced that it's not compatible with anything else.

Windows XP=(nana2)
Windows Vista=:headexplode: