nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Need help with HDTV and the dvi-hdmi cable (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85282)

toxikneedle 01-29-07 10:51 PM

Need help with HDTV and the dvi-hdmi cable

I'm having some problems hooking up my HDTV to my computer. I hooked up the HDMI-dvi cable to my video card and everything seemed to work but the actual image is quite distorted. The font is barely readable and I can't seem to figure out why. It seems to recognize it as a 1080i HDTV and sets the display settings to 1080i, but the image is quite ugly and not correct.

Also I tried setting the resolution to the monitor's native resolution (1366x768) but the image doesn't change and the HDTV still displays a 1080i image. Should I maybe try the vga input?

superklye 01-30-07 08:26 AM

Re: Need help with HDTV and the dvi-hdmi cable

Try 720p?

Ancient 01-30-07 08:59 AM

Is it a plasma?

toxikneedle 01-30-07 09:14 AM

tried 720p and the font is a little better but still not that great. I'm gonna try vga tonight, and no it's an LCD not a plasma.

OWA 01-30-07 11:59 AM

If you're using some of the later drivers (with the new control panel) there is an option where you can have your HDTV treated like a monitor instead of an HDTV. Once you check/uncheck that option you should be able to change the res, etc. I can't recall the exact name of it at the moment but I think it's under the custom timing area. Once you get there, I think it'll clear.

Quote:

I just disabled the treat digital display as HDTV option and then it let me select the same sort of scaling options on the Westy 37" HD monitor as it does on the Dell 24" LCD. Edit 3: Right click the display device in the nvidia control panel to get access to those options (or use the device adjustments option).
The above is what I said in another thread. The option is in a different area with the new control panel though.

toxikneedle 01-30-07 05:04 PM

yep, vga seems to have fixed it. I got native res working and it looks great, I don't mind that it's not digital. Thanks for the help guys.

OWA 01-30-07 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you should be able to get DVI working if you just play around with the setting in Display->Manage Custom Timings. See attachment. Just make sure that the Treat as HDTV is NOT checked. When I had my Westy connected to the computer I ciouldn't change the scaling or res or anything until I disabled that mode. Once I did that, it treated the LCD as a regular digital flat panel (computer monitor) and not as a TV.

toxikneedle 01-30-07 07:41 PM

yeah OWA i tried all those options yesterday for a good 2 hours. Nothing seemed to work. The thing is, I don't have a second hdmi-dvi cable, I had to borrow it from my cable box, and the VGA connection seems to work pretty well. the image is nice and sharp, so i don't mind sticking with it. Not to mention that this is the last free hdmi port I have, which I rather save for something else.

In fact, I just remembered that I had a similar problem with the cable box aswell. All the 720p channels looked odd and weirdly distorted (can't quite explain it), so I had to set my cablebox to upscale all channels to 1080i. I think it's just my TV's weird hdmi connections.

OWA 01-30-07 07:52 PM

Oh, sorry about that. :o

toxikneedle 01-30-07 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OWA
Oh, sorry about that. :o

Heh no it's alright, I'm sure there's something I missed but it's not worth going back and trying to figure it out.