nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Suse 10.2: Can't install nVidia drivers. Tried Everything. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85475)

ninjagecko 02-01-07 07:37 AM

Suse 10.2: Can't install nVidia drivers. Tried Everything.

Hello.

I've tried for 13 hours (searching thousands of webpages) to install the nVidia drivers on OpenSuse 10.2. In a few minutes I'm going to install another OS... just letting people know what my problem was.

#1- Recommended Method: Yast

Installing via Yast doesn't work. The kernel module is installed, but cannot be mod-probed.

#2- Alternate Method: official installer from nVidia
Using the nVidia installer requires the proper kernel headers. It tries to find a pre-compiled header from nVidia's website, but fails. It attempts to build the drivers from source -- this clearly requires the kernel headers.

I acquire (using yast or smart) the package "linux-kernel-headers". I look in /lib/modules/... and find the version number: it matches `uname -s` except for the "-default" suffix. When the installer tries to build the drivers, it always returns the same error: [I can't find the kernel headers ... linux.h ... they're not in the directory]. Indeed, linux.h is nowhere to be found, except for /usr/include/linux. I thus try to point the installer to various other directories which actually have a kernel.h file, but to no avail -- in those cases, the installer complains that it can't be certain of the version of the headers, and quits. (There is no 'force' option.)

I heard of someone getting past this problem, but they said they simply did an "online update" -- which I haven't been able to do (because there's nothing to update).

#3- Miscellaneous Methods: tiny-nvidia-installer, etc.

I found one or two websites which claimed Suse has a built-in installer. Either it doesn't exist or it disappeared in 10.2...

I've found a few dozen posts about this problem online, some in this very forum, but none have come to reasonable solutions. They just trail off...

adamk75 02-01-07 01:48 PM

Re: Suse 10.2: Can't install nVidia drivers. Tried Everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjagecko
Hello.

I've tried for 13 hours (searching thousands of webpages) to install the nVidia drivers on OpenSuse 10.2. In a few minutes I'm going to install another OS... just letting people know what my problem was.

Installing via Yast doesn't work. The kernel module is installed, but cannot be mod-probed.

What do you mean by it can't be mod-probed? What errors are you getting if you try and modprobe it?

Quote:

#2- Alternate Method: official installer from nVidia
Using the nVidia installer requires the proper kernel headers. It tries to find a pre-compiled header from nVidia's website, but fails. It attempts to build the drivers from source -- this clearly requires the kernel headers.

I acquire (using yast or smart) the package "linux-kernel-headers". I look in /lib/modules/... and find the version number: it matches `uname -s` except for the "-default" suffix. When the installer tries to build the drivers, it always returns the same error: [I can't find the kernel headers ... linux.h ... they're not in the directory]. Indeed, linux.h is nowhere to be found, except for /usr/include/linux. I thus try to point the installer to various other directories which actually have a kernel.h file, but to no avail -- in those cases, the installer complains that it can't be certain of the version of the headers, and quits. (There is no 'force' option.)

I heard of someone getting past this problem, but they said they simply did an "online update" -- which I haven't been able to do (because there's nothing to update).

Try grabbing the kernel-source package and see if that allows the installer to build the module.

Adam

kriko 02-01-07 03:24 PM

You need kernel-source package, e.g.:
#smart install kernel-source

F. W. Kooistra 02-03-07 12:40 PM

[quote=ninjagecko]Hello.

==-=-

I just installed five machines with the yast method , from the same source in one hour.

All worked but one: NVDIA driver indeed.
Mine is CPU: AMD-64 X2 :MB: Asus MN2e Vidoecard: asus card with 7300 chipset.
The nvidia.ko has the right version number (same as kernel) but does not load.
Error message from X :
engine not found (after the nvidia.ko is loaded)
and later :

No screens.
abort back to terminal screen
Removing the driver ( de install with yast) makes all work
Unaccelerated.

Maybe you ventilate your method and see where you go wrong..
Mention versions of CPU Motherboard card
Installation method , installation source..

You are wrong if you say there is nothing to update : if your source is a CD or dvd image.. Right if you did a network install : but even than there is an update in the process
regards

Frank

BDNiner 03-22-07 05:49 PM

I have the same problem i have the 7300gt and have not been able to install the drivers. i run into issues at the modprobe step. I will post the exact errors when i get home from work and have them infront of me. my co worker has a system with a 7300gs and that worked fine on the first try, 3d desktop and everything.

BDNiner 03-22-07 07:29 PM

The exact error I received is "Fatal:Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.1-default/weak-updates/nvidia.ko):No such device.

netllama 03-22-07 07:31 PM

Please attach the installer log.

Parox 03-22-07 08:04 PM

I am currently running the 1.0-9746 drivers in Suse 10.2. Here is what I remember doing to install the nvidia drivers. The procedure changes slightly each release.

1. Install the kernel-source package. Open YaST2, change the Filter drop down to read “Patterns”. Look for Development in the Pattern window on the left. I always install all the packages under C/C++ Development and Linux Kernel Development. This may prompt for your install disks.

2. execute the following from a command prompt. X can not be running:

su
cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make prepare-all
cd /(go the directory you keep the nvidia driver .run file)
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run –kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux (that is two dashes in front of kernel)
modprobe nvidia
sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia (0 is a digit, not a letter)

At this point you should be able to exit out of su and then startx

netllama 03-22-07 08:08 PM

If you need to supply the installer's –kernel-source-path option to install the nvidia driver with an official SuSE kernel, then you're doing something wrong.

See:
http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html