nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Card Recomendation for 720p and 1080p (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85502)

tabond 02-01-07 05:17 PM

Card Recomendation for 720p and 1080p

Hello,

I'm looking for a card that:

1. Supports 720p and 1080p
2. PCI-Express
3. Has a fast GPU for xvmc usage
4. Has an external DVI input so through software can switch between
the internal graphics or the external DVI input being sent to the output.
5. Has output support for DVI and possibly analog RGB.

Thanks. If you think i should cross post elsewhere please let me know.

Tom Bond

Thunderbird 02-02-07 03:10 AM

Re: Card Recomendation for 720p and 1080p

All modern Nvidia GPUs are suited for this. The only thing that no card has is a DVI input, cards only have outputs.

Gregoire.Favre 02-02-07 05:54 AM

Well, if you want mpeg2 HDTV nvidia are fine under linux, otherwise the support is missing, I've seen much better result with a simple via than with an hudge nvidia card :(

pe1chl 02-02-07 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbird
All modern Nvidia GPUs are suited for this.

Are you sure about that?
It can be diffcult to convince Nvidia cards that it is OK to output something like 720p or 1080p over DVI, especially when your TV manufacturer is not too bright either.
And as pointed out, xvmc tends to be useless for HD TV as it does not offer H.264 accelleration.

I think the poster will have to look at another manufacturer to get more than a 2-out-of-5 score :-(

pip11 02-02-07 06:47 PM

What he said--the only feature you can't get is DVI input. Other than that, just find a card with DVI out and you will be set. I've heard that getting HDTV resolutions working is a pain, but should be doable. I think that most (if not all) GF 6 and 7 series can do component out as well: even though the connector looks like s-video, there is a dongle available. With my X2 4400+, I don't need to use xvmc, but it has worked fine with mpeg2 when I've used it in the past. I have a PCI-E fanless 7600GS with dual-dvi and can recommend it, especially if you can get a good deal

pe1chl 02-03-07 04:08 AM

He asked for support of HDTV resolutions, which is troublesome (especially when your TV sends bad EDID data).
He asked for xvmc, which is not working well for HDTV because it does not implement H.264
He asked for DVI input, which is not available
He asked for analog RGB out, which is only available in VGA form (RGBHV) and needs to be externally converted to RGsB or RGBC to be usable by a TV.

All in all the score is not very good and I would recommend continue looking for other products.
With all that "home theatre" buzz one would expect that video cards exist that a more suitable for video than those 3d-gaming cards are.