nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   OpenGL apps crash - FreeBSD 6.2/9631 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85745)

denver 02-05-07 02:55 PM

OpenGL apps crash - FreeBSD 6.2/9631

Hello,

I looked through existing posts and didn't find anything helpful. If I missed something I apologize.

Anyway, I have a system with a GeForce2 MX 100/200. I've used this previously with FreeBSD 5.x and 7174 with no problems. Recently I set up a new system with FreeBSD 6.2, the same video card, same monitor, and same xorg.conf. I discovered that I now needed to use driver 9631, so I downloaded NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-9631 and installed that. Everything seems to be ok, including xdpyinfo and glxinfo. Nvidia-settings works fine, as well as glxgears, but every other OpenGL application crashes immediately with a segmentation fault. The final item in a back trace is:
#1 0x28878250 in _nv001238gl () from /lib/libGLcore.so.1
I tried removing kernel agp support and including
Option "NvAGP" "1"
in xorg.conf, but that didn't change anything. The old system was SMP and so is the new one, if that's significant.

It just occurred to me that perhaps something that happened during the install might be a clue: I originally tried installing 7174 and discovered that it didn't work with 6.x, I downloaded 9746 and installed that. However, when I tried starting X, I discovered that that version didn't have support for my card. Then I downloaded and installed 9631. Is it possible that there's something from 9746 still hanging around causing this?

Thanks,

Denver

SirDice 02-06-07 06:17 AM

Re: OpenGL apps crash - FreeBSD 6.2/9631

Are there any clues in /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/Xorg.0.log that might indicate something wrong?

Try removing anything nvidia related from $X11BASE/lib/modules $X11BASE/lib/modules/drivers $X11BASE/lib/modules/extensions.
Then use Fusselbaer's posting here to install 9631 using the freebsd port.

I have an SMP system (dual athlon MP) and an FX5200 that currently uses the 9746 driver but before that I had the 9631 version. So I don't think SMP is an issue.

ayleron 02-07-07 02:31 PM

In a _loosely_ related problem, I installed FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, and tried to install the FreeBSD NVidia 1.0-9746 driver directly, without using the x11/nvidia-driver port, and found that the make install process installed some of the OpenGL libraries in /lib, and then aborted the install with an error message part-way through the install. It looked like the more recent nvidia hardware driver tarballs required the X11BASE environment variable to be set before doing the install. Installing the nvidia hardware driver on FreeBSD used to work as a standalone process without any extra fuss, but now it seems that the x11/nvidia-driver port is required to get it right, or at least I didn't RTFM enough to figure it out how to do it properly in "manual" mode.

In short, with an improperly installed 9746 driver on FreeBSD, my OpenGL apps ran fine, but they all core dumped upon exit of every OpenGL process. I was surprised that any installation problem could result in programs working properly all the way until a process calls exit, then core-dump.

Unless I learn how to properly install the nvidia hardware driver 9746 or later directly from the tarball obtained from download.nvidia.com, I will now use the x11/nvidia-driver port, since the result using the port is something that works for me.

BTW, I am running a 7800GT card connected to a Dell 30" LCD 3007WFP, and it came up and worked relatively easy once the nvidia driver was installed properly. I'm using 2560x1600, the native panel resolution, and I used 'Xorg -configure' to generate the base xorg.conf file. The only changes I made to the auto-generated file was to change from Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia", and added DefaultDepth 24 in the screen section.

SirDice 02-07-07 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleron
Unless I learn how to properly install the nvidia hardware driver 9746 or later directly from the tarball obtained from download.nvidia.com, I will now use the x11/nvidia-driver port, since the result using the port is something that works for me.

If your portstree is up2date it will install the 9746 driver. Not sure why you would want to install directly from the tarball..

http://www.freshports.org/x11/nvidia-driver/

ayleron 02-09-07 03:37 PM

Quote:

If your portstree is up2date it will install the 9746 driver. Not sure why you would want to install directly from the tarball..
I'm working on a project where several systems with multiple nvidia cards each will be put into production with the drivers and software "frozen" at the versions with which everything was tested, and anytime within the next few years, we may need to be able to regenerate a system from scratch with a properly working 1.0-9746 nvidia driver.

Rather than have to deal with a moving target (ports tree, which BTW does not have the most current driver in the 6.2-RELEASE ports tree), I need to know how to manually go from a just-installed 6.2-RELEASE system to having the 9746 nvidia driver working on that system. I must document for our project how to do this.

It appeared to me after glancing at the ports/x11/nvidia-driver Makefile that the only dependencies were m.3 (i.e., libm.so.3) which comes from the compat5x package, and the X11 base libraries. I had both of those packages installed before attempting to install the nvidia driver from the tarball.

The NVidia doc/README file says to do "make install", but clearly that did not work correctly for me when using 9746. The nvidia README is not specific on how to get the proper Linux OpenGL libraries installed. I am hoping that either NVidia will update the documentation about how to get the most recent drivers completely working directly from the tarball, or I need to learn how to do it manually so I can definitively document it myself for the project we're doing.

Doing "make install" from the tarball used to work properly 9-12 months ago, and that no longer does the trick. Based on other postings I've seen here, it seems that other users have stumbled similarly expecting "make install" to just work just as it used to in the past (for the last several years anyway).

The port does work for me, so clearly the dependency chain is more complex now.

I'd simply like to know the canonical set of things that must be done to manually take a 6.X-RELEASE FreeBSD system up to having a properly working nvidia driver that can run OpenGL applications.

zander 02-09-07 03:41 PM

`make install` should work on anything older than FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and install Linux OpenGL libraries if the Linux'ulator is enabled. The problem with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE appears to be that X11BASE is no longer defined, which 1.0-9746's Makefiles rely on to determine where to install most of the driver components. There are threads discussing this on this forum.

TheEqual 02-11-07 02:05 AM

Hi everyone,
I had the same problem in FreeBSD 6.2 with an 'old' GeForce 2 MX/400. First tried installing the driver from the .tar package (which, as has been said, used to work in past FreeBSD versions). Then read a post in this forum about the 9136 driver being added to ports so I updated my ports tree and installed the driver. Yet all GL apps dumped core.

After reading some posts here I saw that my failed manual install had left a bunch of libGL* libnvidia* and libVxNVIDIA* files in /lib. I manually removed this, recompiled BilliardGL (/usr/ports/games/BilliardGL) and it worked.

Hope this helps solve your issues too.

Regards

SirDice 02-11-07 09:18 AM

FreeBSD is currently in the process of moving everything from X11BASE (/usr/X11R6/) to LOCALBASE (/usr/local/). Which is the reason I've set my X11BASE to /usr/local in /etc/make.conf so I can test if everything works from /usr/local instead of /usr/X11R6, I don't even have a /usr/X11R6 directory anymore.

ayeleron..
Quote:

I'm working on a project where several systems with multiple nvidia cards each will be put into production with the drivers and software "frozen" at the versions with which everything was tested, and anytime within the next few years, we may need to be able to regenerate a system from scratch with a properly working 1.0-9746 nvidia driver.
What happens if one of the tested versions turns out to be vulnerably to some security related bug? There are already 2 security advisories affecting 6.2-RELEASE. Some goes for the ports..

On my systems I usually create my own packages, I use one system for building them and install the resulting packages on everything else. These packages can be stored and used later on when reinstalling everything. I mainly use portupgrade for this. You can portinstall -Rp nvidia-driver and it will build/install the driver and create a package tarball in /usr/ports/packages/, it will also build/install/package the dependencies. You would need to remark the NO_PACKAGE in the make file though. Seeing you'll probably be using the same kernel this wouldn't be a problem.

You may also want to look into doing a "make release" in /usr/src. That will create your own release CD at any given point in time (patches, kernel/os version). If setup properly it can also build several ports you've chosen and can be used to create your own fully automated installation CD which will also include/install all the packages you need.