nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Much Arctic Silver (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85752)

Viventis 02-05-07 04:07 PM

How Much Arctic Silver

My AMD 64 3700+ SanDiego has the full sized contact suface with its stock cooler. I recently changed motherboards and removed the residue from the "pad" that came with the Boxed CPU and replaced it with a "Silver" compound. The question is how much is the correct amount to use? I went with the "less is more" approach and spread a drop over about half the surface area of the cpu with a toothpick. My temps are about 25-32C idle and up to 42C directly after getting out of a game. I am worried that if the compound didn't spread to the whole surface that I am running too hot.

Your wisdom requested, please. I want to make sure I have the correct amount before any serious overclocking attempts.

Rytr 02-05-07 04:22 PM

Re: How Much Arctic Silver

If your CPU temps are in the upper 40s at max you have nothing to worry about. Checking your temps as soon as you get out of a game is really not quick enough to see max temp reading. It's probably at least 5C above what you are seeing and that's if you are fast. :D

The best way to spread AS5 is with something like a credit card so you can get an even application. BTW, I think AS still has a step by step tutorial on appying AS at their site.

DiscipleDOC 02-05-07 04:40 PM

Add the whole tube. :p

SlieTheSecond 02-05-07 08:22 PM

The best way to spread AS5 is to not spread it.

You put a drop worth on the middle of your cpu. Apply the heat sink. The next day take it off and your entire cpu will be covered. But if you need the as5 manual its here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

I put more than a drop on my cpu, a steady thick line down the middle of the cpu. That was it. I went to change my heat sink and it was thick across my whole cpu and started to run down the side. I just couldn't belive how little they told you to put in the instructions. They don't lie.

grey_1 02-05-07 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlieTheSecond

You put a drop worth on the middle of your cpu. Apply the heat sink. The next day take it off and your entire cpu will be covered. But if you need the as5 manual its here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

I put more than a drop on my cpu, a steady thick line down the middle of the cpu. That was it. I went to change my heat sink and it was thick across my whole cpu and started to run down the side. I just couldn't belive how little they told you to put in the instructions. They don't lie.

I was nervous when I tried this, but sure enough, results were consistently good wth that little bb of goo.

einstein_314 02-05-07 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlieTheSecond

Yup, just do what the instructions say. I think it's a blob the size of a grain of rice? or half a grain of rice? It's amazing how much it spreads out.

asphalt 02-06-07 09:41 AM

Yup, dual cores take a bit more. Just a little line of AS5 down the middle of the CPU.

Baronvonimel 02-16-07 01:20 AM

Hey quick question about that AS5 room temp and load setting stuff - I just put mine on today and im currently OC'ing above stock around 2% with voltage up from stock about .10v - temps all look good, sub 40 at load but I know I won't get full thermal conduction until that AS5 sets. Any recommendations? I/E should I wait until that sets before going any higher? The arctic silver instructions say the difference will only be about 1 - 5% but I am kinda worried cuz I want it to fully spread - im working with a dual core.
I am done now for the night and I will turn off the pc and let it set but I was wondering what the thoughts were on waiting until it sets to OC vs going ahead. Would it really matter if the temp readings I am getting are ok?

SlieTheSecond 02-16-07 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonimel
Hey quick question about that AS5 room temp and load setting stuff - I just put mine on today and im currently OC'ing above stock around 2% with voltage up from stock about .10v - temps all look good, sub 40 at load but I know I won't get full thermal conduction until that AS5 sets. Any recommendations? I/E should I wait until that sets before going any higher? The arctic silver instructions say the difference will only be about 1 - 5% but I am kinda worried cuz I want it to fully spread - im working with a dual core.
I am done now for the night and I will turn off the pc and let it set but I was wondering what the thoughts were on waiting until it sets to OC vs going ahead. Would it really matter if the temp readings I am getting are ok?

Well considering we have no idea what your actual temperatures are, no idea what your overclock is or any idea what your cpu is. The most I can tell you is I don't think I have ever seen a cpu rated at 40c or lower.

What do you mean you are worried about it being fully spread? It should be almost fully spread as soon as you put your heat sink on. It's thermal grease. This stuff spreads like butter. The pressure of the heat sink spreads it.

As for overclocking, if you haven't gone past the rated temperature of the cpu. Overclock away.

Baronvonimel 02-16-07 04:27 PM

Thanks Slie. Im running orthos right now and the core0 temp is 45, core1 temp is 49 (with coretemp beta .94) I topped out (for now) at 2.7 Ghz at 1.4v - thats on a 4200+ x2 windsor AM2. Thanks for the help!