nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone tried FSX on Vista? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85763)

sillyeagle 02-05-07 07:05 PM

Anyone tried FSX on Vista?

I've heard reports its much smoother, as in all the stutters are gone, though FPS are about the same. Anybody here experienced that?

Q 02-05-07 09:27 PM

Re: Anyone tried FSX on Vista?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyeagle
I've heard reports its much smoother, as in all the stutters are gone, though FPS are about the same. Anybody here experienced that?

The exact opposite. It runs slower, sometimes significantly. Once the drivers mature more and they put out the DX10 patch, it should be a bit better.

einstein_314 02-05-07 10:36 PM

Nope haven't tried it yet. But that's because I'm waiting for SLi support in the drivers for my 7800GTX's....I've heard mixed reports really. I think the DX10 patch will really help. Time will only tell I guess...

sillyeagle 02-06-07 01:36 AM

FSX SP1 is said to be out "after january", and the DX10 patch later in the year.

ASUSEN7900GTX 02-06-07 05:18 AM

i installed .net frmae 3.0 on my WIN XP should i keep it or?

if it slows down or can cause problems in games iŽll uninstall it

Bearclaw 02-06-07 07:38 AM

Quote:

FSX SP1 is said to be out "after january", and the DX10 patch later in the year.

What is this and what is it suppose to do?

glObalist 02-06-07 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw

Which part of his statement did you understand? :D

sillyeagle 02-07-07 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw

FSX Service Pack 1 is supposed to address performance issues, among other things. I assume it will address multicore performance as well. SP1 will not have any DX10 support, as that will be a separate update later in the year. It was said SP1 will be out "after january", so who knows when we will see it.

Dr.Nick 02-08-07 11:03 AM

Quote:

I think it runs a little better. Also in all honesty even though I'm getting lower fps in games they all run a lot smoother. I don't see the constant micro stutters i had in XP at all in Vista. I'll take 60 stutter-free fps over a 130fps stuttering mess any day:)

MaXThReAT 02-08-07 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Nick
I think it runs a little better. Also in all honesty even though I'm getting lower fps in games they all run a lot smoother. I don't see the constant micro stutters i had in XP at all in Vista. I'll take 60 stutter-free fps over a 130fps stuttering mess any day:)

I'm seeing the same. It runs just a bit better in vista for me. no mico stutters and I can actually turn some auto gen stuff up and it's still smooth at like 20-30fps. without auto gen it's very smooth 60fps.
Somehow it found my version installed in XP, uninstalled it and install to vista. So it's either one or the other for me.

Seadogs 02-14-07 05:00 PM

I'm getting really blurry textures on my 8800GTX. I assumed it was driver related but I do not see anyone else mentioning it. Any thoughts?

sillyeagle 02-14-07 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadogs
I'm getting really blurry textures on my 8800GTX. I assumed it was driver related but I do not see anyone else mentioning it. Any thoughts?

For one thing, the max fps cap in the game determines how much CPU time it gives to preloading textures. If you have it set to the far right it spends all its time running the game, and not as much on preload. If you slide it down and cap it to 20fps or so, it will use the extra CPU cycles to preload textures.

Also open your FSX.cfg file and add the following line at the end of the [MAIN] section:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

This line controls how aggressive the sim is in ensuring that scenery loads in quickly.

Also find the line that reads:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

And change it to:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400

This will make texture load in while flying go much faster.

Since you have a good vuideo card you can add this to the end of the cfg file, which creates a buffere and can eliminate some of the stutering:

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=5000000