nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Twinview doesn't behave as I want anymore (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85795)

SysGhost 02-06-07 08:56 AM

Twinview doesn't behave as I want anymore

Recently I reinstalled gentoo on my computer, and I reused a few configuration files from the old gentoo installation, among these I reused /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Everything went just fine, except for one thing, twinview seems to behave a bit different now, than it used todo on my old gentoo installation.

Old behavior: (which I prefer)
KDE is aware of the two screens (2x1280x1024) and maximising windows make them to maximise on the current screen only.
I see screen 1 and screen 2 in the kde display panel (accessed via the desktop rightclick menu)

New behavior:
KDE seems to see only one screen at 2560x1024, and therefor making the applications not aware of the both screens, maximising them make them to maximise over both screens.
I see only one screen (screen 1) at kde display panel with the mentioned resolution above.

My question is now: How do I make KDE and other window managers to become aware of the two screens again? Note that I reused the xorg.conf, which worked as I prefered in the old gentoo installation, no changes made. So the fault can't be there.

AaronP 02-06-07 11:28 AM

Re: Twinview doesn't behave as I want anymore

Please attach a bug report.

SysGhost 02-06-07 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well... Log created and attached!

SysGhost 02-06-07 02:31 PM

A little more information as I have been searching around and testing various configurations:
xorg.conf works well (except for a few font paths, but I'll manage those later on, since they're not vital for the twinview configuration)

I found out that other window managers are aware of the two screens, and do behave as I prefer, for example fluxbox.
The only desktop environment that do NOT behave as I want is KDE 3.5.6-r2 (meta build)
First I thought it had something with the xinerama USE-flag to do, but thats not the case.
It is however enabled as it always been (it's needed to make applications and window managers/desktop managers to be aware of the multiple screen configuration, no matter if it is twinview or xinerama)

I believe the problem might be with KDE, but I'm not sure about it thou, and maybe there is something I "forgot" in my configuration files...

netllama 02-06-07 02:33 PM

Were you using the same nvidia driver version previously when the behavior was as desired?

If you set NoTwinViewXineramaInfo to false in the Device section of your X configuration (and restart X), does that change the behavior to your liking?

dbixler 02-06-07 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a similar configuration to what you have, though, my monitors are different sizes (and thus, different resolutions). One monitor is 1680x1050 and the other is 1600x1200. Talk about a bear to configure. I remember reading why that happens (the 1 screen vs. 2) though I don't have an answer. I will also say that Ubuntu sees my two monitors as one, though when I maximize a window it only maximizes on the current monitor. I'll just post my xorg.conf file to view and perhaps it will help you.

PenGun 02-06-07 07:47 PM

Xinerama works well. The only way to really get my 19" monitor and my 34" TV to play nice is seperate screens.

The only thing you can't do is drag stuff from one screen to the other. As I hate desktop clutter all my stuff comes from keystrokes and a right click menu so it's not hard for me. I never need to drag anything from one to the other and can't really think why you would.

A

DISPLAY=":0.1" the command

will throw the focus to the second screen no matter where you launch it.

As I said works well. I like it better than twinview.

SysGhost 02-07-07 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Were you using the same nvidia driver version previously when the behavior was as desired?

If you set NoTwinViewXineramaInfo to false in the Device section of your X configuration (and restart X), does that change the behavior to your liking?

I tried NoTwinViewXineramaInfo with false, no difference.
About the driver, yes, I was surely using an older driver by then. I will try an older driver, but I don't remember which one I used back then thou.

EDIT: Tried a few older drivers, no difference.

SysGhost 02-07-07 02:52 PM

I found a possible problem with my system that confirms my suspicions about KDE.
My qt libraries was not compiled with the xinerama flag enabled, and I believe I have a few other libraries that also need to get recompiled with xinerama enabled.

I'll get back with more info as soon those libraries are compiled and installed, will take some time thou.

EDIT: It's confirmed. It was the xinerama flag that was needed for the qt libraries. I used a graphical intaller for gentoo and it did not include the xinerama USE-flag (or other useflags) that I have given it. All need todo now is update the system with the "newuse" option activated. This thread can be marked as [solved]

kriko 03-09-07 07:47 PM

I'm a suse user and have the same problem. Using xinerama, kde recognizes both monitors separately, but if I use twinview, then it seems like one big desktop.

hvengel 03-10-07 09:21 PM

Gentoo specific you must set use = xinerama in make.conf and then do an emerge --new-use world to compile everything affect by the new use setting. Been there done that.

kriko 03-11-07 04:46 AM

I found that in readme:

Quote:

A single X screen is used. The NVIDIA driver conceals all information
about multiple display devices from the X server; as far as X is
concerned, there is only one screen.
That means, using dynamic twinviev it is not possible to tell kde that has 2 screens?

@hvengel after kde is already compiled, it is possible to get configure flags, that were used during compile time?