nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   AMD AM2 5200 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86416)

DiscipleDOC 02-15-07 01:44 PM

AMD AM2 5200
 
I need help in overclocking this. Any suggestions?

Gregor976 02-15-07 02:58 PM

Re: AMD AM2 5200
 
What is your heatsink / grease etc...? Has it had a few days to properly cure "cycle from hot to room temp a few times"? Are you prime stable at your stock speed?

EDIT:
I just noticed your cpu cooler. :) Nice. The thermal compound still has to cure in order to cool the chip evenly, but I doubt you will have trouble hitting 3GHz with it.

If so, then I'd oc the mem 1st by lowering your cpu multi and raising frontside bus leaving mem at 1:1 until you see what it's limit at stock voltage is.

Notice your HT link speed and keep it under 1000. That way you can rule it out as a limiting factor. "overclocking the ht doesn't gain anything anyway".

Then I'd put the fsb and cpu multi back to stock and raise it incrementally "a few MHz higher fsb at a time". Letting it go through 1 prime test using 2 instances of prime running "in place large FFts".

Since you know the limit of your memory, you can keep going until you near it's limit. "if your cpu will let you". Then just play it by ear, monitor your temps to make sure that heat isn't a facter and good luck. :)

This is generally how I do it.

DiscipleDOC 02-15-07 03:49 PM

Re: AMD AM2 5200
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor976
What is your heatsink / grease etc...? Has it had a few days to properly cure "cycle from hot to room temp a few times"? Are you prime stable at your stock speed?

I'm using a CoolIT Freezone, and I've had the temps to stay around 11-25 degrees (even at load)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor976
If so, then I'd oc the mem 1st by lowering your cpu multi and raising frontside bus leaving mem at 1:1 until you see what it's limit at stock voltage is.

Is there a quick way of overclocking without touching the voltage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor976
Notice your HT link speed and keep it under 1000. That way you can rule it out as a limiting factor. "overclocking the ht doesn't gain anything anyway".

I will keep that in mind.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor976
Then I'd put the fsb and cpu multi back to stock and raise it incrementally "a few MHz higher fsb at a time". Letting it go through 1 prime test using 2 instances of prime running "in place large FFts".

Since you know the limit of your memory, you can keep going until you near it's limit. "if your cpu will let you". Then just play it by ear, monitor your temps to make sure that heat isn't a facter and good luck. :)

This is generally how I do it.

Thanks. I will print this out and keep this as a rule of thumb. :thumbsup:

Gregor976 02-15-07 03:56 PM

Re: AMD AM2 5200
 
You posted just as I was editing.

I wouldn't touch voltages until you see what the cpu will do at stock. Just raise the fsb a bit at a time is the easiest way.

Most of the new mobo's will auto reset to stock if it won't boot, but know where your "clear cmos" jumper is just to be safe.

DiscipleDOC 02-15-07 04:00 PM

Re: AMD AM2 5200
 
Roger that! ;)

Shaitan 02-16-07 04:10 PM

Re: AMD AM2 5200
 
I have the Crosshair and 5200+. Will the CoolIt work on my system? Thx.

DiscipleDOC 02-16-07 08:44 PM

Re: AMD AM2 5200
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaitan
I have the Crosshair and 5200+. Will the CoolIt work on my system? Thx.

Yes, it should. The CoolIT should be designed for your system, too.

Shaitan 02-16-07 10:55 PM

Re: AMD AM2 5200
 
Thx man, I am gonna hit Memory Express tomorrow and see if this rig will indeed be installable on my system. If so, cha chinggggg! Thx again.

addendum: Wowzers! the CoolIT really is an amazing unit. Easilly o/c`d to 3 gig. CPU temp underload @ 3 gig was 25 C. Idle at default 2.6 gig is 16 C. Defintely gonna add the CoolIT to the next PC.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.