nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Linux driver produces black screens frequently (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86558)

blaubel 02-17-07 09:08 AM

Linux driver produces black screens frequently

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all!, I have not found any thread with this problem.

I installed the driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1 (i also tried 9625, 9625 and 4363) with no problem, then I configured xorg.conf to use nvidia driver. When I restarted X, it produces me black screens frequently, however 3d acceleration works fine (with black screens).

I tried disabling acpi.
I tried with many options in xorg.conf.
In adition I tried compile new kernel 2.6.20 with "nVidia Framebuffer Support" and "nVidia Riva support" disabled.

PS.My monitor is Samsung SyncMaster710v, it has vga connection and my graphic card has dvi so they are connected with a dvi-vga adapter.

Thank you!

netllama 02-17-07 09:51 AM

Re: Linux driver produces black screens frequently

If you're reporting that windows appear black after a period of time, that's a known bug and can be worked around by disabling the Composite extension.

blaubel 02-17-07 12:02 PM

Windows doesn't appear black, all the screen appears black during half second and very times

blaubel 02-19-07 04:54 AM

the problem has solved connecting my monitor on the vga connection, before it was on the dvi with adapter

Legoguy 03-07-07 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
If you're reporting that windows appear black after a period of time, that's a known bug and can be worked around by disabling the Composite extension.

This presents a problem for a fullscreen OpenGL window manager like beryl, or OpenGL games... since it's a "known bug," can we expect a fix soon?
When I run my Gateway FPD2485W through VGA, I see some retrace artifacts when there's anything moving on the screen. That annoying effect isn't there when using DVI. So it's kind of a lose-lose: in VGA, I get that; in DVI, I get this frequent screen blacking out problem. And I really don't want to lose the ability to use the new & amazing window managers because I bought a bigger monitor with proper DVI support (mind you, $700 isn't cheap)

[edit] So I just tried your solution of disabling Composite. I still get black screens. This is a different bug than the one that just affects windows, I think...

netllama 03-07-07 12:13 PM

If you're still getting black windows with Composite disabled, then you're hitting a different, unknown bug. I'd suggest starting a new thread with a bug report and reproduction details.

thanks,
Lonni