nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   8800 modded BIOS found - thrustworthy? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86668)

NoiR 02-19-07 05:36 AM

8800 GTS / GTX modded BIOS

I found something - really nice to read, but I dont know if this is trustworthy. Sounds strange to me. But if its true what this person is writing, then it would be a free and really safe performance boost. Downloaded it but not yet tried - Iīve never flashed a graphics card BIOS before and now Iīm really unsure about this thing.

Read the whole Thread:

*click*

agentkay 02-19-07 06:39 AM

Re: 8800 modded BIOS found - thrustworthy?

Honestly itīs a lot safer to use tradional overclocking with Rivatuner, ntune, or the ATItool instead of a BIOS flash that can void your warrenty if it leads to a dead or damaged card. On top of that, I personally would never flash a BIOS within Windows because the chance that things go wrong are far higher instead of the old floppy/DOS flasher way.

Jon 02-19-07 08:28 AM

Sounds authentic... Vista has no overclocking tools yet so I would love to try this on my 8800.

The only problem that concerns me is that if my card were to die in a couple of months time, I send it back to BFG... they will know I've flashed the bios. Most likely they will blame this and refuse to replace my card.

I'll wait for the next ntune or rivatuner.

NoiR 02-20-07 12:41 AM

Yes, warranty is gone with flashing...that was my thought too. OCing with RivaTuner / ATITool is safer, thats right. But the modified memory timings are interesting.

I wrote an email to this guy who prgrammed that BIOS - Iīd like to know if there is a 2D / 3D profile at last. If thereīs such a profile in, I will make a backup with Nibitor, test this BIOS and will give a little summary here.

Jon 02-20-07 03:26 AM

He also mentions the shader speeds are increased too.

Might just hold my breath and give it a try tonight. But I'm waiting for him to post the full change list first... don't like flashing my card unless I know exactly what has been changed.

SLippe 02-20-07 10:43 AM

Speaking of shaders, I've read where people have this overclocked as well. How do you do that?

NoiR 02-20-07 11:56 AM

Shader clocks will automatically changed when you change core clocks. But not 1:1 - every 27 Mhz core clock the shader clock gets 54 Mhz up. There are some steps between where only the shader clock gets higher and the core clock will remain.

Sorry for my bad english, perhaps this graphic is a little bit better, read it from left to right.

Left: the core clock you set
Middle: resulting shader clock
Right: core clock the card will use

http://www.knochenhalde.de/8800oc.jpg

So its no matter if you set the core clock to 508 or 525 Mhz, for example. The card will run at 513 Mhz core clock and 1188 Mhz shader clock. So it donīt make sense to take steps between this numbers in the graphic because the clocks donīt change.

OCing shader and core clocks separated is (as far as I know) only possible with some BIOS tweaking and flashing.

J-Mag 02-20-07 12:36 PM

Thrustworthy? HAH! That sounds like a rating scale for pr0n or somethin'...

NoiR 02-20-07 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mag
Thrustworthy? HAH! That sounds like a rating scale for pr0n or somethin'...

Yes, youīre right :D

But as I mentioned above, my english is :headexplode:

J-Mag 02-20-07 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoiR

But as I mentioned above, my english is :headexplode:

No worries, my german is worse ;)

SlieTheSecond 02-20-07 04:33 PM

I am curious. Where did you get these numbers?

NoiR 02-21-07 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlieTheSecond
I am curious. Where did you get these numbers?

Thats simple - try & error. Open RivaTuner, look at the clocks and use another tool to rise the core clock. I noticed that shader clocks only went up for 54 Mhz when you set the core clock higher, but I didnīt find a system because some steps irritated me, for example: setting clock to 587 Mhz results in a shader clock of 1350 Mhz and a core clock of 594 Mhz. Setting the core to 596 Mhz will result in a shader clock of 1404 Mhz and a core clock of 594 Mhz too.

So Iīve searched a little bit and found another (german) forum where someone solved this problem with the steps between which irritated me so much.

Some cards will not match exactly the speeds in the graphic, mine for example jumps sometimes a step higher as I want. Perhaps its because of some programs I use to overclock or something with rounding the numbers, I donīt know yet.