nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   non root user resolution settings reverting to default. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86674)

togrady 02-19-07 07:27 AM

non root user resolution settings reverting to default.

Hello,

ASUS-M2NPV-MX with Nvidia 6150 onboard.

Have just installed Feodra 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 and built NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746 without incident.

Logging in as root, I can set my resoultion to be 1280/1024 32bit, restart X and relogin as root and the settings stay the same.

However when logging in as non-root user, I can use NVidia X Server Settings to set the same 1280/1024 32bit however when I restart X it always reverts back to 800x600.

SELinux is disabled.

I've spent several hours now trying to figure this one out so if anybody has had experience of this / knows the solution would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,

netllama 02-19-07 04:14 PM

Re: non root user resolution settings reverting to default.

Are you saving the changes to an xorg.conf in your user's $HOME ?

togrady 02-20-07 05:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello netlama,

I wasn't but I have no but it made no difference Xorg.0.log shows that I am still using /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Whenever I reboot, the resoultion always reverts to what it was previously.

Attached are my Xorg.log and the two xorg.conf files one from my home folder and one from /etc/X11

any insights would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

netllama 02-20-07 10:17 AM

Unless you're starting X as the non-root user (with startx), the X server is going to use /etc/X11/xorg.conf by default. This is standard X behavior.

pe1chl 02-20-07 11:15 AM

When you want 1280x1024 and want it for all users, then why don't you just put that into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and forget about separate files for each user?
I would say, remove the xorg.conf from homedir and change /etc/X11/xorg.conf

togrady 02-20-07 12:08 PM

Originally I was just using /etc/X11/xorg.conf but the non-root user was still revering back to the "default" resoultion.

I manually put 1280x1024 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with every depth possible but still didn't keep the settings.

What nneds to be saved from the NVIDIA X Server settings for the X Server to maintain the user's resolution choice ??

Have now tried on Fedora Core 6 and Ubuntu 6.10 with same outcome ...

anyone ?

netllama 02-20-07 12:15 PM

X always uses xorg.conf to determine which configuration to use (including the modes). If you're going to runlevel 5, then its almost certainly using /etc/X11/xorg.conf (unless you've intentionally hacked it to do otherwise).

I suspect that whichever window manager you're using is trying to be clever and changing to a different mode per some user-specific configuration change you've mode (and potentially forgotten about).

Is this problem specific to all non-root users, or just 1?

togrady 02-20-07 12:30 PM

netllama, your suggestion worked.

Here's the background.

I'm just installing linux for a HTPC on a clean disk:

Attempt 1:

Installed Fedora Core 6, then yum updates, then NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746,
logged in as "userx" (ie the user that was created during the install.) Could not get the resolution to stay.

Attempt 2:

Again on a clean disk:

Installed Ubuntu 6.10 , then apt updates , then diabled the nv module then NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746,
logged in as "userx" (ie the user that was created during the install.) Could not get the resolution to stay.

Now after your suggestion, I have created a newuser, logged in as them, changed the resolution and guess what ? it stays as 1280x1024.

Even weirder, now when I log in as the original userx their resolution is now magically kept at 1280x1024.

No idea, what's that all about but I guess I now have a workaround.

Thanks for your help.