nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   glx module failed to load (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86706)

krosser 02-19-07 05:19 PM

glx module failed to load

2 Attachment(s)
I upgraded from fedora core 1 to fedora core 6. I remember having had the nvidia install problem with fedora core 1 and fixed it on my own the first time.

When starting x it tries three times to load and fails with an error not finding the glx module.

I used the Yum instructions
# yum install kernel-devel xorg-x11-server-sdk pkgconfig
# yum update
# reboot
which took a long time to run! It installed, but did not work.

I read from the livna to-yum install kernel-module-nvidia-$(uname -r) which came back there was no module for my kernal.

Then I found the module kmod-nvidia-1.0.9746-1.2.6.19_1.2911.fc6 and installed it using yum.

I have included the nvidia-bug-report.log and upgrade.log.

Thanks in advance.

netllama 02-19-07 05:30 PM

Re: glx module failed to load

In your bug report, I see:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/tls/libGLcore.so.1: undefined symbol: glVertexWeightfEXT
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so

Does this problem persist if you install the official NVIDIA driver package instead?

krosser 02-19-07 07:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not know there was an official NVIDIA package driver. Thinking back I may have done that last time with fedora core 1 but then I had a GUI to work with and could download from the internet while browsing.

I used yum to install the driver from livna. Since all I have is a command prompt how would I go about obtaining and installing the official NVIDIA driver package?

netllama 02-19-07 08:08 PM

You could use wget to download the driver. You need to have X shutdown to install the driver, so at this point, you just need to read the driver README for the installation instructions.

Thanks,
Lonni

krosser 02-19-07 09:28 PM

Thanks again, I copied from another machine onto a cd and installed it. The error message changed to cannot find the mouse in /dev/psaux. I read the pointer is supposed to be at /dev/input/mice so I changed that in the X11 config file. The screen came up to the fedora GUI but it looked terrible with thin vertical lines progressing up the screen and some duplicity.
I restarted and now there is no screen at all, just blank.

krosser 02-21-07 03:56 PM

I am having intermittent problems, sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesn't. I suspect it has something to do with the mouse so I am going to try changing the mouse settings in xorg.conf.