nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   cannot see 7300 LE DVI output in Debian, ok in Fedora (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87452)

valmar 03-03-07 06:53 AM

cannot see 7300 LE DVI output in Debian, ok in Fedora

Dear all,

I have two linux distributions installed side by side on my hard disk. I have Fedora and Sidux, a distribution derived from Debian unstable. When I boot in Fedora, everything is fine and I can see on my LCD the DVI output of the 7300LE card. If I boot in Sidux, X does not start and all I see is an underscore character on the top left part of the screen.

BUT....

If I boot in Fedora and THEN in Sidux, everything works fine, and X starts fine. It's almost like Fedora initializes something in the card that is needed to have X start and Sidux doesn't. However, this initialization is remembered after a reboot. If I leave my machine off for some hours, however, I have to do the Fedora-Sidux switch again to have X start.

I can reproduce the bug this way. I boot in Fedora, X starts, then I boot in Sidux, X starts. I poweroff my machine, take electricity out and press the ON button (cleans the internal state of things like the network card, the graphic card, etc.). I boot Sidux, and X does not start and I see the underscore character. I boot Fedora and then Sidux and X starts.

Very bizarre, does anyone know what kind of magic is Fedora doing to make the card start ok?

Thank you in advance

Valerio

netllama 03-03-07 10:41 AM

Re: cannot see 7300 LE DVI output in Debian, ok in Fedora

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678

valmar 03-04-07 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I apologize. I forgot to mention that I had already tried the relevant solutions proposed in the stability post, but came to nothing.

Also I am not attaching any bug report because the machine crashes and I have to reboot, so I cannot access any consoles to run the script-. Finally, I am not attaching any installer log beacause the installation goes fine.

I attach the xorg log files of two runs where X doesn't start an where X starts (the "old" log file). I hope it helps . Please let me know if I can provide even more information.

Thank you for your help and I apologize again for not being very clear in the first post.

Valerio

netllama 03-04-07 08:09 PM

Please detail everything that you've done to isolate the problem, and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log. Thanks

valmar 03-05-07 01:24 PM

My hardware:
CPU: AMD 3000+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 (Bios: F7, latest)
Card: XFX Nvidia 6300LE.
Output: DVI
Display: BenQ FP202W
Driver version: 9746

Operatiing Systems:
Linux Fedora Core 6 (Kernel 2.6.18)
Sidux 1.0 Chaos (Debian Unstable, kernel 2.6.20).

When X does not start, I see a black screen with an underscore on the top left. The keyboard is alive, but I cannot switch to any console.

I can reproduce the bug this way. I boot in Fedora, X starts, then I boot in Sidux, X starts. I poweroff my machine, take electricity out and press the ON button (cleans the internal state of things like the network card, the graphic card, etc.). I boot Sidux, and X does not start and I see the underscore character. I boot Fedora and then reboot in Sidux and X starts again.

Mandriva One has same behavior as Sidux .
Boot -> Mandriva One = X does no start
Boot -> Fedora -> reboot -> Mandriva One = X starts

I attach the debug file (before X is started since after it starts and crashes I cannot do anything)

valmar 03-05-07 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the log file

netllama 03-05-07 01:36 PM

According to your bug report, you're not using the F7 BIOS, but rather F2.

When X is hung, are you able to ssh to the system and generate a bug report?

However, the fact that this works in FC, and not Mandriva or Debian suggests that this is a kernel or Xorg bug. Can you isolate whether the problem persists (or appears) with a recent kernel.org kernel in FC & Debian?

Thanks,
Lonni

valmar 03-05-07 01:56 PM

I thought the same. I think it is a kernel or xorg bug. Would you like me to send you the config files of the two kernels.

Re: bios.

Strange, I just update an hour ago from f2 to f7 and this is what is shown n the bios screen when I turn on the PC. However, when I installed the driver it was f2. I know for sure it works with Fedora kernel 2.6.19. I will see if I can test the other drivers. I will also try an older debian kernel

Thank you for your help

Valerio

netllama 03-05-07 02:09 PM

What I'd suggest is building a kernel.org kernel in both FC & Debian/Mandriva using the configuration that the FC kernel which is working has. This will allow you to determine whether the kernel is the problem.