nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Video (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87480)

Cherock 03-03-07 04:52 PM

New Video
 
I have installed a new e-GeForce 7600GT-KO. Works under Windows, but Suse 10.0 will not recognize the card. It puts me into text mode and will not go into graphical mode. I can't seem to figure out what Driver I need to download in order to make this work under Linux.

1. How do I get the driver installed to the proper place in Suse 10.0?
2. Which driver do I need, they have one for Nforce-Linux-x86-1.21.zip. I am currently downloading this zip file, but How do I get this done in a Text environment under my Login?

Any guru's on Linux please email me. Thanks, Clois

netllama 03-04-07 11:37 AM

Re: New Video
 
http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html

Cherock 03-04-07 02:39 PM

Re: New Video
 
Here is what I know from a Newbie point of view:
1. Linux boots to TEXT mode and i have very little experience with navigating on Text mode, let alone how to install these using YAST in TEXT mode. I had a Video failure and had to replace the card in order to have my computer back.
2 I need someone who can educate me as to what I need to do, this procedure doesn't apply to the problem I have right now. I don't have graphical available to me. I am at a loss on how to do all of the instructions.
Anybody game? I will give you my home phone number if you will email me and provide the best times for either you or me to call.
Frustrated to say the least..... Thanks, Clois

Lithorus 03-04-07 03:53 PM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherock
Here is what I know from a Newbie point of view:
1. Linux boots to TEXT mode and i have very little experience with navigating on Text mode, let alone how to install these using YAST in TEXT mode. I had a Video failure and had to replace the card in order to have my computer back.
2 I need someone who can educate me as to what I need to do, this procedure doesn't apply to the problem I have right now. I don't have graphical available to me. I am at a loss on how to do all of the instructions.
Anybody game? I will give you my home phone number if you will email me and provide the best times for either you or me to call.
Frustrated to say the least..... Thanks, Clois

Even if SUSE doesn't recognize the card it should still boot to a graphical interface after install. SUSE 10.0 is also abit old by now. The latest should be 10.2, but called OpenSUSE now since they got bought by Novell.

http://www.opensuse.org/

Cherock 03-04-07 06:00 PM

Re: New Video
 
It is 10.1 version, one that I have customized to my liking. I have had this for a year, I really don't want to have to re-load Suse and then have the same problem with Suse 10.1 NOT recognizing the nvidia driver, then I am back to square one.

energyman76b 03-04-07 06:49 PM

Re: New Video
 
Cherock, read the link netllama provided and follow the instructions.

Basically it is sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746-pkg2.run

and edit /etc/X11/xorg.con replacing 'nv' with 'nvidia'.

Read the link.

zander 03-04-07 07:13 PM

Re: New Video
 
FWIW, the NVIDIA installer can also optionally run `nvidia-xconfig` to configure X for you.

Lithorus 03-04-07 07:31 PM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherock
It is 10.1 version, one that I have customized to my liking. I have had this for a year, I really don't want to have to re-load Suse and then have the same problem with Suse 10.1 NOT recognizing the nvidia driver, then I am back to square one.

I read the first post as though you installed it from new. Anyway the nforce drivers are not for the graphics. Which card did you have before? If it was a fairly new driver, replacing the card should not need a driver re-install. But if it's an older driver which does not support you new card, you'll have to update it. Is it possible for you to dist upgrade to 10.2? That should give you new packages aswell as a new driver.

Cherock 03-05-07 08:39 PM

Re: New Video
 
If I upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2 from Novell, will I have to new install. or can I upgrade to 10.2 without losing my configuration settings? For $60.00 bucks it may be the best route to take;however, I am concerned with the 10.2 driver, will it drive the eGeForce 7600 GT-KO card? Having to modify settings in terminal mode gives me the willies. I am not confortable in terminal mode, I am not an OLD DOS man, and that is what Terminal Mode reminds me of. Thanks for any help on this matter, Clois

energyman76b 03-05-07 11:09 PM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherock
If I upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2 from Novell, will I have to new install. or can I upgrade to 10.2 without losing my configuration settings?

in theory, you should be able to upgrade without any problems. In practice this is not always true. Best you can do, backup /etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherock
For $60.00 bucks it may be the best route to take;however, I am concerned with the 10.2 driver, will it drive the eGeForce 7600 GT-KO card?

there is no '10.2' driver. There are the nvidia driver packages - and the 9XXX series should drive your card just fine. Just download it and run it as root. As I said before, please read the link netllama provided. Everything is explained there. Step by step.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherock
Having to modify settings in terminal mode gives me the willies. I am not confortable in terminal mode, I am not an OLD DOS man, and that is what Terminal Mode reminds me of. Thanks for any help on this matter, Clois

replacing 'nv' with 'nvidia' and adding 'glx' to your xorg.conf is not hard to do nor should it give you 'the willies'. Seriously, editing the windows registry is much harder and much more dangerous. Also, don't confuse the terminals with dos. The linux/unix terminals are much more powerfull and flexible. If you use Linux for a while, you will see their 'beauty' - or at least find a lot of cases, where using the terminal is the fastest/easiest/savest or simply only way to achieve your goal. You should get at least used with them (start with terminal emulators in X, like konsole or xterm), so you are able to help yourself, if X does not start anymore (or your system is almost completly ****ed up. Some experience and some basic shell skills - no scripting required, and you can repair almost every kind of damage).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.